• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

I’ve recently been searching for Direct vs Newsstand information, as I have recently come in to quite a few newsstand copies of books. From my understanding Marvel killed their newsstands around 2011 continuing in B&N and BAM but killing it officially in 2013. With the business model it makes sense on their behalf, much less risk to discount and push through. The 6.8-1% possibility doesn’t seem unreasonable considering the market.

the books I recently came across were supposed to be pulped for B&N. The UPC recycling I’ve witnessed through the books would lead me to believe that the newsstand editions couldn’t have been that high a priority if they couldn’t be bothered to even process proper UPCs. Anecdotal yes, but i believe valid.

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not true. SOOs historically cover (or are supposed to cover) issues dated January to December. That's why they're filed on October 1: the last cover date (December) of a monthly periodical, for example, had just been published.

The thing about the SOOs is....they were self-reporting. Did the USPS ever audit the information provided...?

I'm guessing the answer is "no."

lol It's not like any private business ever under-reported sales . . . :whistle:

1 hour ago, divad said:
21 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not true. SOOs historically cover (or are supposed to cover) issues dated January to December. That's why they're filed on October 1: the last cover date (December) of a monthly periodical, for example, had just been published.

The thing about the SOOs is....they were self-reporting. Did the USPS ever audit the information provided...?

I'm guessing the answer is "no."

lol It's not like any private business ever under-reported sales . . . :whistle:

All the USPS is concerned with is whether the publication qualifies for the favorable mailing rates they are paying. I doubt they ever took a really close look at the submitted forms for comics, let alone considered doing an audit.

I hadn't really seen these before, though I suspect they're not worth a ton... I'm told they originally retailed for $39.95, way back in 1993, though I don't know that for a fact.

These apparently contain a portfolio-style envelope, a copy of the gold edition of the relevant comic book, and some promotional materials. These copies are still sealed, so I'm not sure what those materials might be.

cgw1.jpg

cgw2.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Brock said:

I hadn't really seen these before, though I suspect they're not worth a ton... I'm told they originally retailed for $39.95, way back in 1993, though I don't know that for a fact.

These apparently contain a portfolio-style envelope, a copy of the gold edition of the relevant comic book, and some promotional materials. These copies are still sealed, so I'm not sure what those materials might be.

cgw1.jpg

cgw2.jpg

The packs are on ebay for like in the $5 range. One of those golds has a $1.45 BIN. Even Milehigh is only charging $4.40 for a NM copy.

On 12/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, BishopT said:

It’s in horrible shape, but I came across this going through some boxes the other day. Any estimates on how many there are?

4193F405-F5F4-4EBE-8313-C182B4376148.jpeg

More than you think - it was incorporated in a Monopoly game in 1999.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

The packs are on ebay for like in the $5 range. One of those golds has a $1.45 BIN. Even Milehigh is only charging $4.40 for a NM copy.

Yes, I'm holding out for the oft-rumoured Vortex vs. Golden City movie.

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

:martini:20181215_183021.thumb.jpg.1aacf55fbdd5cc45d10c5f70145ba1c2.jpg

There you go. It is good also to know which books have the barcode on the back for better hunting. I have been pulling Spawn / Batman and Batman / Spawns out of their bags for months.

And who got the Sandman 75 2nd print off ebay last night? I was ready to snipe but 11:55 is too late for me and I would have gone higher than the $125 it went for just because I have been hunting this for a while and want one. But I woke up at 12 midnight on the dot and was like :facepalm:. I was going to PM @Aweandlorder and tell him to stay away from my book! I hope someone here got it though.