• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Marvel-ous said:

@Bird I wasn't sure where to post this - but the copy of Sandman #72 2nd print that I bought on eBay was mentioned here a couple months ago by you. I got it for $127 that night (December 14th). I submitted for grading a while back with 16 other books, and just got my grading invoice back. I had to look twice at it since I've been looking for a reasonably priced raw copy for years now... and seemed to always just miss out on them. A high-grade copy was always a grail quest for me... since I didn't want to drop $800 on a 9.6 copy. So... that's a long story. The short version is I got a 9.8 grade on the book. Without looking at the census I already knew it was the first recorded 9.8 copy since I have been tracking it on a semi-daily basis. I'm sorry you didn't get the book (honestly - I have lost a lot of bids I really wanted to win badly) - but since you look like a fan of that particular rarity - I thought I would at least let you know how the story ended and that there's a 9.8 out there now! 

^^ Good for you I was annoyed I missed out on that book but who knows you might have beat me out anyway and you deserve it great job

Edited by Bird

1 hour ago, Marvel-ous said:

@Bird I wasn't sure where to post this - but the copy of Sandman #72 2nd print that I bought on eBay was mentioned here a couple months ago by you. I got it for $127 that night (December 14th). I submitted for grading a while back with 16 other books, and just got my grading invoice back. I had to look twice at it since I've been looking for a reasonably priced raw copy for years now... and seemed to always just miss out on them. A high-grade copy was always a grail quest for me... since I didn't want to drop $800 on a 9.6 copy. So... that's a long story. The short version is I got a 9.8 grade on the book. Without looking at the census I already knew it was the first recorded 9.8 copy since I have been tracking it on a semi-daily basis. I'm sorry you didn't get the book (honestly - I have lost a lot of bids I really wanted to win badly) - but since you look like a fan of that particular rarity - I thought I would at least let you know how the story ended and that there's a 9.8 out there now! 

Holy Moly... that did look like a 9.8 on the photos

7 hours ago, Marvel-ous said:

outstanding!

11 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Holy Moly... that did look like a 9.8 on the photos

It looked really clean @Wolverinex. I must have look at (and zoomed in on) the photos a few dozen times and it seemed like at least a 9.2 copy and worth a gamble. You can never really tell until you have the book in hand. I couldn't see any standout flaws. Once I had the copy I could tell there was a chance it was a 9.8 and sent it in with my next large submission (which would be well over a month later). 

19 hours ago, Marvel-ous said:

That is awesome! I've been looking for one of those too... congrats!!

On 2/17/2019 at 2:27 PM, fastballspecial said:

Well you can trade me for the next time you find another X-Men 302 blank box. :grin:

Haha! If we can petition CGC to name heretoforunknown variants according to those that "discovered" them (like comets) I'll swap you when I find another copy! I helped lighten a lot of people's wallets and gave sellers a ridiculous flip and created a monster by bringing it out of the shadows. Still seems to be centered around Chicago...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-MARVEL-COMICS-THE-UNCANNY-X-MEN-302-WITH-NO-PRICES-OR-UPC-CODE-RARE/264206501010?hash=item3d83ef4492:g:bREAAOSw~odb7LPE:sc:USPSFirstClass!60030!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-302-Error-No-Price-Blank-UPC-Variant-Rare/202574615039?hash=item2f2a6351ff:g:yxAAAOSwviBcSO-r:sc:USPSFirstClass!60030!US!-1

17 hours ago, KolmarAvenue said:

Haha! If we can petition CGC to name heretoforunknown variants according to those that "discovered" them (like comets) I'll swap you when I find another copy! I helped lighten a lot of people's wallets and gave sellers a ridiculous flip and created a monster by bringing it out of the shadows. Still seems to be centered around Chicago...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-MARVEL-COMICS-THE-UNCANNY-X-MEN-302-WITH-NO-PRICES-OR-UPC-CODE-RARE/264206501010?hash=item3d83ef4492:g:bREAAOSw~odb7LPE:sc:USPSFirstClass!60030!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-302-Error-No-Price-Blank-UPC-Variant-Rare/202574615039?hash=item2f2a6351ff:g:yxAAAOSwviBcSO-r:sc:USPSFirstClass!60030!US!-1

Yes I honestly would just like to know what it is. It has bugged me for years.

It must be hard to find if its in Chicago and Hector can't find one.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, Marvel-ous said:

Just to wrap up the story on the Sandman 75 2nd print... got my copy back from CGC the other day. Thought I would share it here. Couple year quest complete - now what to do with it? It's nice to have the only 9.8 in existence - but what is it worth? A 9.6 sold for $800 back in 2017. That didn't even seem like a horrible price for 1 of 6 highest graded copies. 

IMG_8631.jpg

Nice!!!

On 3/1/2019 at 5:52 PM, fastballspecial said:

Yes I honestly would just like to know what it is. It has bugged me for years.

It must be hard to find if its in Chicago and Hector can't find one.

Knowing me, I probably had this book in my 50 cent boxes 

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Last April, I found Rai 1 (first appearance)... well, I was out at flea market this weekend and some closeout bookstand was discounting all their items half off...  They had 4 comic boxes in the back marked 50 cents.  I couldn't believe I saw Rai 1 and 3 in great condition!  I kept flipping and then found ETERNAL WARRIOR 4 and Rai 0   Then at the very back of that box, I found Solar 0, 1, and 2!!  I also picked up a few other random, non key variants to read.  X-o Man o war 2, 3 Archer armstrong 0-2, Bloodshot 34, et...  With the discount, Total came out to 4 dollars. The book seller told me most of the comics were left by another seller, and he was about to toss them in the trash. 

Probably my best find ever!   I love pre-unity valiants and I've never found these Solars in the wild. 

2019-03-31.thumb.jpg.ba51f61ddf8c95ae6c8a2be0d25bbe68.jpg2019-03-32.thumb.jpg.812e33d4bbfabe5465c483a6a2388972.jpg2019-03-33.thumb.jpg.bdb815c66967b5aba0f6582db9922f47.jpg

Wow very nice finds. Such a good deal!