• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Bird said:

I bought a Batman Spawn recently with a newsstand sticker on it.

I found one of those last year and was told on here that it wasn't a newsstand variant and that it was likely added on by whatever bookstore was selling it. I do not believe that to be the case.

41 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

I found one of those last year and was told on here that it wasn't a newsstand variant and that it was likely added on by whatever bookstore was selling it. I do not believe that to be the case.

It was. Prestige format books, especially mature readers books like Killing Joke, weren't distributed to regular newsstands, like 7-11, Walmart, or street vendors. They were distributed to book sellers. The sticker UPC was added by the book seller to make the product scannable. Because the prestige format was a "special projects" format, the addition of a printed UPC to the books was hit or miss.

If your book does not have a UPC code printed on it...with some very rare exceptions...it is not a newsstand version (not "variant"), nor was it intended for a newsstand. Newsstand distribution and Direct market distribution were entirely separate distribution systems.

Can you imagine, some kid buys a Killing Joke at 7-11, and his mom sees Commissioner Gordon, naked, tied up in bondage apparel, watching giant pictures of his naked, crippled daughter being flashed across the interior of an amusement park "Tunnel of Love" ride...?

:D

Anyone ever come across a black and white Unity 2000 preview book before?  I don't think I've ever heard of Unity 2000?? 1510354096_ScreenShot2019-04-10at10_40_39PM.thumb.png.5605b89ec6b90619a18ca7e8a77ee3b0.png

Also found a Youngblood 1. 2nd print... doubt it's that rare, but love this seller's description of it lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1ST-EVER-IMAGE-COMIC-PRODUCED-YOUNGBLOOD-1-RARE-GOLD-RIM-2ND-PRINTING/140940926257?hash=item20d0bbdd31:g:Sd0AAMXQTghRT7LP:sc:USPSFirstClass!37922!US!-1

Edited by Wolverinex

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Anyone ever come across a black and white Unity 2000 preview book before?  I don't think I've ever heard of Unity 2000?? 1510354096_ScreenShot2019-04-10at10_40_39PM.thumb.png.5605b89ec6b90619a18ca7e8a77ee3b0.png

Also found a Youngblood 1. 2nd print... doubt it's that rare, but love this seller's description of it lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1ST-EVER-IMAGE-COMIC-PRODUCED-YOUNGBLOOD-1-RARE-GOLD-RIM-2ND-PRINTING/140940926257?hash=item20d0bbdd31:g:Sd0AAMXQTghRT7LP:sc:USPSFirstClass!37922!US!-1

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401691067702

Lol

On 4/10/2019 at 9:35 PM, Wolverinex said:

Acclaim bought Valiant in 1994, rebooted in 1997, and hired Jim Shooter to write a story for 1999-2000 called Unity 2000.  In the original Valiant, Shadowman was supposed to die in 1999, so Acclaim asked Jim Shooter to tell that story and to "unify" the Valiant and Acclaim universes.  Like most Acclaim attempts, it wasn't completed.  Acclaim published 3 issues of Unity 2000 out of 6 planned.  The Unity 2000 Preview Book was supposed to get retailers excited about the Unity 2000 six-issue project. I guess it didn't work. lol

It probably didn't help that Acclaim didn't pay the artists. hm  

Unity 2000 #3 is definitely worth grabbing out of bargain bins if you can find it. There aren't many around, and few people cared enough to protect the ones that were made.

P.S. That issue of Rai in your picture is actually the back cover for a flipbook of Magnus, so all of the books on the top row are Magnus.

Edited by valiantman

On 4/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, Michael Browning said:

I do believe that to be the case myself/

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Always wondered why they ddidnt finish it. I have the set plus the additional cover inlay. I dont find any of the issues very often. It's not amorines 3 and 4 tough but it's pretty tough to find.

Where have you found your Armorines 3 and 4?  I've NEVER seen them in the wild.  Only vol 1 stuff which is ubiquitous...

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:
9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Always wondered why they ddidnt finish it. I have the set plus the additional cover inlay. I dont find any of the issues very often. It's not amorines 3 and 4 tough but it's pretty tough to find.

Where have you found your Armorines 3 and 4?  I've NEVER seen them in the wild.  Only vol 1 stuff which is ubiquitous...

Its been several years ago. I found them separately and have only found one copy of 3, but 2 copies of 4. Again its been a long time
ago. At the time they sold very well.

Sly Cooper is just as hard in my opinion as I have only found one copy. Earthworm Jim is just as rare with only one copy of each issue
found in many many years of looking.

Edited by fastballspecial

36 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Its been several years ago. I found them separately and have only found one copy of 3, but 2 copies of 4. Again its been a long time
ago. At the time they sold very well.

Sly Cooper is just as hard in my opinion as I have only found one copy. Earthworm Jim is just as rare with only one copy of each issue
found in many many years of looking.

When you find them, do you usually see them in dollar bins or normal stacks?  

15 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

When you find them, do you usually see them in dollar bins or normal stacks?  

I found an Armorines 3 at least a couple of times in dollar boxes at comic shops. Don't think I've ever seen a #4 at all.

2 hours ago, musicmeta said:

Good thing I have Armorines 1-5.. 

lol I hope you have Armorines #1-#4 from 1999 and #5 from 1994.

If you have Armorines #1-#5 from 1994, you're looking at a cool dollar bill.  Total.

10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

lol I hope you have Armorines #1-#4 from 1999 and #5 from 1994.

If you have Armorines #1-#5 from 1994, you're looking at a cool dollar bill.  Total.

Yeah, I now know your talking about the 1-4 set from Vol. 2 1999-2000 of which I have two long boxes full of the sets...You're right, I've never seen these Vol 2 books at all in the wild.  There are some listed on ebay and they are not NM/Mint books that you might be able to a get a CGC 9.8 from.  I'll be looking for these in 9.8 white but I have a feeling I'll be in the graveyard before these turn up for me to buy.  But I CAN SURE GET $5 bucks for my 1-5 by golly!!!! 

Edited by musicmeta

Anybody have a Moon Knight #14 1st series in NM+ condition or CGC 9.8 White...I haven't seen this book in ultra high grade either but maybe this #14 is more common in Ultra high grade then I think it is.  Seems like this is a hard to find issue in the wild.

Edited by musicmeta

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Yeah, I now know your talking about the 1-4 set from Vol. 2 1999-2000 of which I have two long boxes full of the sets...You're right, I've never seen these Vol 2 books at all in the wild.  There are some listed on ebay and they are not NM/Mint books that you might be able to a get a CGC 9.8 from.  I'll be looking for these in 9.8 white but I have a feeling I'll be in the graveyard before these turn up for me to buy.  But I CAN SURE GET $5 bucks for my 1-5 by golly!!!! 

I had a high grade V2 1-3 set up on ebay for over a year with no takers, and a low price with best offer. 3 and 4 are hard to find, but the market is small.