• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,478 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Is Armorines 3 and 4 worth money only because it's rare?  Has anyone read it? Is it a good comic series?

Valiant is best when it connects across all the titles to build the universe.  Armorines (and all of Acclaim) 1999-2000 don't do that, there aren't many issues, and it's unlikely that many collectors would rank them among the best stories. Before the current series of Valiant books (2012+), there were very few Valiant-related books with fewer than 5,000 copies.  Armorines #4 is probably under 5,000... possibly under 2,500. That's what made it valuable in the mid-2000s. Today, it's probably in less demand since there are lots of Valiant books under 2,500 copies.

18 hours ago, Brock said:
20 hours ago, musicmeta said:

Yeah, I now know your talking about the 1-4 set from Vol. 2 1999-2000 of which I have two long boxes full of the sets...You're right, I've never seen these Vol 2 books at all in the wild.  There are some listed on ebay and they are not NM/Mint books that you might be able to a get a CGC 9.8 from.  I'll be looking for these in 9.8 white but I have a feeling I'll be in the graveyard before these turn up for me to buy.  But I CAN SURE GET $5 bucks for my 1-5 by golly!!!! 

I had a high grade V2 1-3 set up on ebay for over a year with no takers, and a low price with best offer. 3 and 4 are hard to find, but the market is small.

It always has been. Same with Shadowman V3 late issues. They are just scarce. You don't have to have a large market for them.

Its the same for many books like Earthworm Jim, Sly Cooper, 35 cent variants, Zombie Tramp V1, and so on.
Higher grade even makes them more desireable.

8 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Paid way too much for this but I never see it. Anyone know much about this variant? I can't find much online. 

20190419_174147.thumb.jpg.0b5821d19992545a08cb5387af082edc.jpg

There were a few listings on eBay, way back when I checked, seemingly around $100. Been a minute though, wish I was more help :foryou:

9 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Thank you.  I just was wondering what type of variant this was,  number printed. How did people initially buy it?

Technically, it isn't a variant.  It's the standard $2.95 cover for Punisher #100.  The $3.95 cover was the "deluxe edition".  According to Comichron.com the $3.95 cover is around six times more common than the $2.95 cover.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:44 AM, valiantman said:

Valiant is best when it connects across all the titles to build the universe.  Armorines (and all of Acclaim) 1999-2000 don't do that, there aren't many issues, and it's unlikely that many collectors would rank them among the best stories. Before the current series of Valiant books (2012+), there were very few Valiant-related books with fewer than 5,000 copies.  Armorines #4 is probably under 5,000... possibly under 2,500. That's what made it valuable in the mid-2000s. Today, it's probably in less demand since there are lots of Valiant books under 2,500 copies.

True, but there are probably far fewer of the Acclaim and late-VH1 in high grade because very few people cared about Valiant for a decade or more. There's also the collecting shift away from run collectors.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

There were a few listings on eBay, way back when I checked, seemingly around $100. Been a minute though, wish I was more help :foryou:

I’ve seen a few of those punisher 100s recently 

2D7F3E2D-16C9-4B3F-9C3B-F68B33516722.jpeg

5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Paid way too much for this but I never see it. Anyone know much about this variant? I can't find much online. 

20190419_174147.thumb.jpg.0b5821d19992545a08cb5387af082edc.jpg

It's just the regular, non-enhanced version. By this time, the comics market was in full meltdown mode, and of those stores that ordered any, I would imagine most ordered the shiny, sparkly one. By the way...the newsstand version is also the shiny sparkly one, so this is the only example of the regular copy out there.

I'd be willing to bet that less than 50,000 were ordered, but that is a total guess.

By the way..a handful of these have been scattered throughout this thread, but in general, Marvel from 1992-1996, if they made an "enhanced" version usually made a regular version as well. The regular version was almost always cheaper than the enhanced, but they weren't very popular...shiny, sparkly, and foily ruled the day.

That makes the regular versions the "rare" ones, and some of them are quite tough to find. Examples are:

Thor #475

Avengers #380-382

Punisher: Suicide Run (Punisher, PWJ, PWZ)

Amazing Spiderman #388

Punisher #100

Wolverine #100

X-Men Phalanx Covenant

X-Men "regular" (as opposed to "deluxe" versions)

War Machine #1

Etc, etc, etc.

There are tons of them, and the cheaper, non-enhanced versions are much, much tougher to find..."tough" being a relative term, but the books from 1995-1996 are generally harder to find overall. They carried this program....to a much lesser extent...into the 00s (ASM vol 2 #25, for example.)