• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Newsstand vs. direct Web of Spiderman 118 (first Scarlet Spidey). Can’t find any other newsstand on eBay sold or for sale. What kind of premium would it get?

BCB93D99-5326-4342-8369-E2CDA62DE203.jpeg

According to the guys around here who don't have any newsstands in their inventory the premium should be... NONE!

According to people who understand the difference between newsstands and direct editions in terms of availability and replacement copy difficulty... SOME!

Once this whole concept is better understood by the market in the future... MORE!

:grin:

But seriously, in today's market, this particular book (but certainly not all newsstands) should sell for at least double the direct edition.

Edited by valiantman

44 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:
4 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Newsstand vs. direct Web of Spiderman 118 (first Scarlet Spidey). Can’t find any other newsstand on eBay sold or for sale. What kind of premium would it get?

BCB93D99-5326-4342-8369-E2CDA62DE203.jpeg

That is a tough find I dont see many also the marvel legend variant is hard to get as well.

The thing is, the more rare the find, often times there is less available sales data to compare to, making it harder to gauge the market value.  So you do your best and hope to get lucky.

6 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Newsstand vs. direct Web of Spiderman 118 (first Scarlet Spidey). Can’t find any other newsstand on eBay sold

You might want to look a bit closer since there have been 4 sales just in the last 2 weeks (which is only about a quarter of the first page of sold items).

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

According to the guys around here who don't have any newsstands in their inventory the premium should be... NONE!

None it is! :nyah: But I have Newsstand editions, including my OO copy.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

But seriously, in today's market, this particular book (but certainly not all newsstands) should sell for at least double the direct edition.

If people are actually going to pay that much, my OO copy may mysteriously move out of my collection.

10 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
6 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Newsstand vs. direct Web of Spiderman 118 (first Scarlet Spidey). Can’t find any other newsstand on eBay sold

You might want to look a bit closer since there have been 4 sales just in the last 2 weeks (which is only about a quarter of the first page of sold items).

You're describing the difference between searching for Web of Spider-Man 118 and looking for the actual newsstand auctions and searching for Web of Spider-Man 118 Newsstand and not seeing as many results. lol

The auction titles rarely include the word "newsstand" (or "newstand", which is always wrong). :grin:

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

ou might want to look a bit closer since there have been 4 sales just in the last 2 weeks

Thanks. I do see a couple raw books and a graded 7.0 have sold. Was really thinking about high grade slabbed copies when I posted. Currently zero slabbed copies for sale and about 20 or so direct editions. I’ve never really understood the variant craze myself (be it newsstand or price) but the results for SW 1 price variants can’t be ignored. 

32 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Thanks. I do see a couple raw books and a graded 7.0 have sold. Was really thinking about high grade slabbed copies when I posted. Currently zero slabbed copies for sale and about 20 or so direct editions. I’ve never really understood the variant craze myself (be it newsstand or price) but the results for SW 1 price variants can’t be ignored. 

Those are different situations.  Star Wars #1-#4 35-cent variants were a limited test that Marvel did for the price change (1,500 copies).  While there are certainly books which exist in fewer numbers for newsstand, nothing close to 1,500 copies was used for newsstand books.  It's unlikely any newsstand anywhere at any time was fewer than 5,000 copies.  At the time of Web of Spider-Man #118, it was probably 40,000+ on the newsstands.  The direct edition of Web #118 was probably 200,000+.  Some newsstand books may have sold poorly and gotten returned, but even those have the potential to be boxed in a warehouse somewhere.

So, if you're looking for SW #1 price differences (something like 100-to-1), it won't happen.  But if you're looking to find particular newsstand books for about the same price as direct editions and then watch the market become 2-to-1 or 3-to-1 or 10-to-1 for certain newsstand books, that could happen.  100-to-1 like SW #1 is extremely unlikely. :foryou:

Edited by valiantman

As someone who has been negative on newsstands in this thread I want to clarify my position (as I did then)

my issue was with Image newsstand of books that were fairly common (see wildcats, savage dragon)

i am big supporter of newsstand books especially of rare or key books 

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 minute ago, divad said:

No one even remembered . . . :baiting:

Missed your 40,000th by six lousy posts:headbang:

400006.PNG.df61cc3538a46244f5d2decc85fb5bd9.PNG  clangers.gif.237652e8daa12a6569e038d9de898c89.gif

*although it has to be said that the preceding 40,000 were pretty lousy too :baiting:

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Missed your 40,000th by six lousy posts:headbang:

400006.PNG.df61cc3538a46244f5d2decc85fb5bd9.PNG  clangers.gif.237652e8daa12a6569e038d9de898c89.gif

*although it has to be said that the preceding 40,000 were pretty lousy too :baiting:

Ahem,best not miss mine.

(why am I always in modern lately?wothehel?

Just now, ygogolak said:
7 minutes ago, U.S.A. said:

Only top copy was variant , returned , refund and shredded .

??????

were you the buyer and you opened the pack? so you returned it when only one was the variant?