• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, deadleg said:
2 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

Since when is this hard to find? Just curious. 

@deadleg

:baiting::jokealert:

First Ant Man? (shrug)

I don't think he knows. Its a 35 cent variant from 1977. They were only sold in 5 test cities across the United States.
They were only printed for roughly 3-5 months in the summer/fall. They are extremely difficult to find and high grade is a nightmare.

Some titles only have around a  dozen copies or less known to exist so far. 

Edited by fastballspecial

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I don't think he knows. Its a 35 cent variant from 1977. They were only sold in 5 test cities across the United States.
They were only printed for roughly 3-5 months in the summer/fall. They are extremely difficult to find and high grade is a nightmare.

Some titles only have around a  dozen copies or less known to exist so far. 

Dang! Could have sworn this issue was the first appearance of Ant Man’s ants. doh!

On 9/29/2019 at 11:51 AM, Wolverinex said:

Found a run of punishers for $0.50 each. Picked up the countdown issues as well as the Armory 10. Does anyone know if Punisher 99 and 89 as well as the war zones 39 and 40 are rare? Also I liked aliens genocide cover. The dead World 10 was $10, so I picked it up as well . 20190929_143832.thumb.jpg.c501c4a27f945ba8c1edaa10d4645589.jpg20190929_143806.thumb.jpg.8c88a9f587d9b2d789762811dd5adbd3.jpg

very nice

9 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 9/10/2019 at 9:55 AM, valiantman said:

No trick questions should be included in the level one skills test. (Alpha Flight #88, etc.) lol

What about She-Hulk 1?

Direct has a Spidey-head UPC box; newsstand has a barcode.  Is this a trick question? hm

2 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Direct has a Spidey-head UPC box; newsstand has a barcode.  Is this a trick question? hm

Was actually referring to Sensational, not Savage

I don't know the story on that one.  Was it identical for both newsstand and direct editions (with the same barcode for both), or was it not sold on newsstands? hm

At any rate, if there's only one version of the book, then it doesn't qualify for the "Newsstand vs. Direct" identification test I was suggesting.  Similar to when someone wants to say that a book is an "error edition" but there was never a corrected version.  It doesn't matter. lol

11 hours ago, valiantman said:

I don't know the story on that one.  Was it identical for both newsstand and direct editions (with the same barcode for both), or was it not sold on newsstands? hm

At any rate, if there's only one version of the book, then it doesn't qualify for the "Newsstand vs. Direct" identification test I was suggesting.  Similar to when someone wants to say that a book is an "error edition" but there was never a corrected version.  It doesn't matter. lol

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/446175-copper-books-with-only-a-upc-edition-before-upcs-became-the-norm/

44 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Sounds like a steal to me. Newsstands from this era are notorious for lower grades and much harder to find.

Really? I'm actually a pretty tough grader so these are at least 9.6. They are definitely better than the Asm 9.8 in round seven of the green eggs tournament. Do you know anything about the print run for these newsstands? Where these only available in Barnes and Noble and book stores?

Edited by Wolverinex