• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2020 at 1:09 PM, jsilverjanet said:

@fastballspecial

how about this one 

Unfortunately half price put a sticker on it :cry:

2D4C5DBE-0A45-4C38-A68E-50214FC0F5A7.jpeg

Dontcha hate that. 

Very very difficult book to find. For years I didn't know that issue existed I thought it ended at issue 10.
Every time I make a set its an easy sale for $150 in high grade. Cult following only going to get worse
now that Disney+ is showing them.

I just finished the Slave Labor set the other day. I will post some pics after I ship all these books from 
sales thread. 

Edited by fastballspecial

13 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
15 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The only copy I have seen of this is the one I own, picked up (I think) when it came out

These pop up very randomly on Ebay, coming up on 25 years old.  Months go by with no copies (or only one overpriced copy) then there'll be a couple at $0.99 that have a regular auction.

This was the only slabbed copy for 10 years (2006 to 2016):

0778475039_1200.jpg

I wonder how many have "autographs" on the back, or whether they were even used in some kind of Acclaim tour promo.

0778475039b_1200.jpg

Edited by valiantman

The main distribution point for that Acclaim Reader was the 1997 Chicago Comicon, where they were freebie give-aways at the Acclaim booth. Which is why they have the signature page back cover, not unlike many other convention give-aways. Of course, the 1997 Chicago Comicon had all of like 5k attendees, which is a big part of why these are hard to find. I'm sure Acclaim found other ways to hand out the copies left behind after the event, but still...

That slabbed copy is particularly nice not just for the 9.6 but for the white pages designation; these were printed on some terrible newsprint paper and many of them are the worse for it.

Anyone know what this might be? I have in in a pile of books from free comic book day and it appears to a shorter version on Bohos #1? Add for Danger Girl #2 on the back so maybe 1998?

IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

17 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Not sure how common/uncommon this is, but never seen it before

20200811_113910.jpg

These are quite common...they were included with an issue of Wizard magazine, which was a wildly popular comic book publication for a time.

I have yet to see anyone successfully sell for any appreciable markup.

If you get an Uncanny X-Men 293 Gold on the other hand...

Ok obviously we can’t find this in the wild (though I actually did in a shop in Tampa) though nothing is impossible.

The fun about the wild is you really never know what you may run into.

Its a Euro copy of Thor 1 Jane Foster Fiona Staples variant.

Im hoping someone has some info on this...

I was told at time of purchase that there were 0 on the census. Obviously this copy would count as it’s recently graded.

It is a foil embossed card stock cover.

384983DF-AD9B-4D22-BC8F-615A2C03484A.jpeg

81C16F46-6993-478D-84F6-AD568C6E1F7A.jpeg

B62A8DA5-8224-4F05-ACC7-F911A526643D.jpeg

8EB25345-76BB-4798-AD48-40902A9B89C6.jpeg

EFA5FCD5-51DE-4602-BC34-2A81D46F9FAF.jpeg

EAE5DBE4-0C43-47E3-B938-80C6FFD3E1F0.jpeg

Edited by Shoomanfoo

On 8/17/2020 at 1:29 PM, PeterPark said:

These are quite common...they were included with an issue of Wizard magazine, which was a wildly popular comic book publication for a time.

I have yet to see anyone successfully sell for any appreciable markup.

If you get an Uncanny X-Men 293 Gold on the other hand...

Man do I ever miss Wizard 

Probably mostly for nostalgic reasons but that was a fun time in the hobby for me.

6 minutes ago, Erndog said:

Man do I ever miss Wizard 

Probably mostly for nostalgic reasons but that was a fun time in the hobby for me.

I thought the same until I went to a couple of their conventions toward the end.
The magazine was great everything else they did sucked.  Especially when they tried to get into comics at the same time.

Edited by fastballspecial

Just now, fastballspecial said:

I thought the same until I went to a couple of conventions run. The magazine was great
everything else they did sucked.  Especially when they tried to get into comics at the same time.

Yeah, the magazine was fun.  Esp in the early days.

The "top 10 artists/writers" and the movie casting calls... the battles between 2 popular characters... even the letters page was witty.  I used to comb through it for hours and frankly, I did learn a lot about comics/characters from it and discovered a ton of new books I probably wouldnt have.  I wish they did a quarterly one even nowadays.