• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, John Worley said:

Extremely rare find "Batman and Me" #1 from 1994. It was a send away personalized comic where you and Batman fight Catwoman, Joker, and the Riddler. I have seen six copies since it came out. It is actually a Good read and written by Mark Waid. Batman the animated series at it's finest.

20210310_093444_HDR-1.jpg

That is an awesome one. Congratulations! 

There is also a thread for these here. 

I remember finding that thread awhile back. I have searched for years to research the books value but it's not in ANY guide. Not just because I own a copy but based on the very real rarity of any information anywhere outside of a few articles I believe there are not very many copies left. I could of course be wrong but when even the  Overstreet Price Guide is completely silent on it. I think the value on this book is underrated. Except for the one copy in the above article selling for $40 the other two sold for 350 and 425 in grades. There are two copies on the bay right now and honestly...the graded copy on there I believe is priced about right. Maybe someday someone will buy it maybe not but unless many other copies surface I wouldn't sell it short in rarity regardless of the book's "stated" number on the cover. At the time it came out I remember thinking "A children's kiddie book" and decided I would leave it alone. Either Batman the animated series cartoon had just came out or the book predated it (I can't remember) but we know how popular the series became. Anyway I decided to do the X-men and Captain Universe send away and there is alot of information and copies of this book in the wild so I'm guessing others concentrated on this book too. Pure speculation on my part but either way the Batman and Me book is rare enough I wouldn't part with it cheaply. I did end up with both the personalized comic versions and overall the DC version is superior. I was surprised actually. The lettering, writing, and artwork (excluding the awesome painted cover and posters from the x-men book and the novelty of the trading card) was much better in the Batman book in my opinion. Thanks for the congratulations!  I do feel lucky to have a copy. Here is a picture of the X-men one...it was cool being Captain Universe too :)20210217_181902_HDR-1-1.thumb.jpg.aede01d9ab80ed8caf744c861390c7b6.jpg

^Never find Adventures if Spider-Man 11-12 ever, not even online.

The one I never, ever found in the wild was Wolverine 27. Someone was arguing with me to be pedantic on reddit (lol) that *they* found it just fine, but seeing as how it's getting a nostalgia bump in all these CBSI articles recently I think there is some truth to it. People just like this cover and always grab it.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:29 PM, John Worley said:

Not just because I own a copy but based on the very real rarity of any information anywhere outside of a few articles I believe there are not very many copies left.

It's a personalized promo book, which explains both why nobody cares about it and why you don't see the copies that exist.

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

1. That one's not personalized.

2. How many people really care about it and how many copies do you see?

1. It definitely is personalized.  Not only does it have the boys who it was made for on the cover with superman it has superman saying his names on the cover. Daniel! Andrew!

2. They do come up from time to time, but there were not many printed and they fetch a good price so there definitely is interest. 

20210516_225025.jpg.eaa27038a694e2258722475a06257621.jpg

On 5/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, John Worley said:

I remember finding that thread awhile back. I have searched for years to research the books value but it's not in ANY guide. Not just because I own a copy but based on the very real rarity of any information anywhere outside of a few articles I believe there are not very many copies left. I could of course be wrong but when even the  Overstreet Price Guide is completely silent on it. I think the value on this book is underrated. Except for the one copy in the above article selling for $40 the other two sold for 350 and 425 in grades. There are two copies on the bay right now and honestly...the graded copy on there I believe is priced about right. Maybe someday someone will buy it maybe not but unless many other copies surface I wouldn't sell it short in rarity regardless of the book's "stated" number on the cover. At the time it came out I remember thinking "A children's kiddie book" and decided I would leave it alone. Either Batman the animated series cartoon had just came out or the book predated it (I can't remember) but we know how popular the series became. Anyway I decided to do the X-men and Captain Universe send away and there is alot of information and copies of this book in the wild so I'm guessing others concentrated on this book too. Pure speculation on my part but either way the Batman and Me book is rare enough I wouldn't part with it cheaply. I did end up with both the personalized comic versions and overall the DC version is superior. I was surprised actually. The lettering, writing, and artwork (excluding the awesome painted cover and posters from the x-men book and the novelty of the trading card) was much better in the Batman book in my opinion. Thanks for the congratulations!  I do feel lucky to have a copy. Here is a picture of the X-men one...it was cool being Captain Universe too :)20210217_181902_HDR-1-1.thumb.jpg.aede01d9ab80ed8caf744c861390c7b6.jpg

Beautiful cover!  Always loved the hilebrandt painted marvel cards too!

4 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

Beautiful cover!  Always loved the hilebrandt painted marvel cards too!

Me too! The X-Men label goes well with it too. I have a different copy of the book I use as a reader to look at the Hilebrandt inserted posters and the letter from Stan Lee. 

On 3/13/2021 at 10:44 PM, the blob said:

good lord, we've been over this, they're both wearing pink, it just came out a little more mulberry, maybe violent, when it got printed. it's a fair after the fact innuendo, but do we really think stan goldberg was going there?

I do, based on the bolded lettering of the punchline. Similar to #271 in that regard, and Betty and Me #16 as well. That’s consistent among the Archie innuendo covers.

8 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

1. It definitely is personalized. 

No, it's a custom-made issue. Every copy is exactly the same, not personalized.

2. They do come up from time to time

Exactly.

, but there were not many printed

Yeah.

and they fetch a good price so there definitely is interest. 

Price doesn't (necessarily) say much about demand. It only takes two to push an auction and one to buy at a fixed price.

On 2/24/2021 at 4:57 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

First time I’ve ever found a Beavis & Butthead 27 (last issue). Oddly enough, it was the only issue in the run that they had.

The other book is an original head sketch of Storm by Brandon Peterson for FIVE DOLLARS! Doesn’t really fit the thread but I had to post it somewhere! 

84DBC379-7A97-4D8A-B2AB-0DD584538A4E.jpeg

Love the sketch, but Beavis & Butthead actually ended with issue #28, the cover featuring the guys having jumped from a plane without parachutes.