• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,478 posts in this topic

I went to a new LCS for me and was hoping to get a Spawn 1 cheap, and I did. It was a newsstand and they had quite a few of the early issues. But I was in a hurry and actually did not think clearly and left with only the #1. It is an hour away but I may go back sometime. Listed the #1 on ebay at $85 but no takers yet! :baiting::flipbait:

1 hour ago, gradejunky said:

lol

Same thing with trying to hunt down 3rd and 4th prints of some of those overprinted early 90s DCs. i just can't do it.  My lcs has several long boxes of this krap sitting around, i just can't go through every frigging copy of death of superman, superman scratches his butt 77 or whatever to determine what print it is...and the image newstand hunt, as already mentioed, gives me a migraine thinking about it...

17 hours ago, the blob said:

Same thing with trying to hunt down 3rd and 4th prints of some of those overprinted early 90s DCs. i just can't do it.  My lcs has several long boxes of this krap sitting around, i just can't go through every frigging copy of death of superman, superman scratches his butt 77 or whatever to determine what print it is...and the image newstand hunt, as already mentioed, gives me a migraine thinking about it...

I totally get it, but the DC 2nd+ prints aren't too bad because they have the roman numerals right in the corner box, so they're easy to spot as you flip. The Image Newsstands (and DCU logo variants) are more annoying because you generally need to see the bottom of each cover in order to scope out the UPC box (or lack thereof), which means deeper digging. That can be annoying if you're going through a ton of boxes.

30 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I totally get it, but the DC 2nd+ prints aren't too bad because they have the roman numerals right in the corner box, so they're easy to spot as you flip. The Image Newsstands (and DCU logo variants) are more annoying because you generally need to see the bottom of each cover in order to scope out the UPC box (or lack thereof), which means deeper digging. That can be annoying if you're going through a ton of boxes.

but the dc second prints are generally not worth hunting though, right?  the 3rds and 4ths are "rare", no? they don't always show on the cover, right?

Edited by the blob

3 hours ago, the blob said:

but the dc second prints are generally not worth hunting though, right?  the 3rds and 4ths are "rare", no? they don't always show on the cover, right?

I'm not sure about the value of 2nds specificlaly, I'd guess they'd tend to not be as valuable as the later, lower prints, but I don't really chase them much. The only ones I really look for are Bat-related, and most of the modern era have the roman numerals, I believe, I believe. The copper era books, the ones that came out in multipacks and the like, no, I don't think those have any exterior notation.

I've got a question pertaining to the Spawn #1 newsstand... looking at some listings on eBay, I'm not seeing all of these mentioning the centerfold. I'd imagine that most would contain them if they're being sold for $85 and up, but in my experience with many of the direct editions I've run across, the poster has been taken out and isn't even bagged with the sale. Question is, how much would the affect the value of a NM newsstand edition for a buyer like those of us on this board? Big deal or no? Also, does CGC recognize the absence of the poster and if so does it affect grade?

4 hours ago, BishopT said:

I've got a question pertaining to the Spawn #1 newsstand... looking at some listings on eBay, I'm not seeing all of these mentioning the centerfold. I'd imagine that most would contain them if they're being sold for $85 and up, but in my experience with many of the direct editions I've run across, the poster has been taken out and isn't even bagged with the sale. Question is, how much would the affect the value of a NM newsstand edition for a buyer like those of us on this board? Big deal or no? Also, does CGC recognize the absence of the poster and if so does it affect grade?

I was not aware of a centerfold poster. Off to check my two newsstand copies!

6 hours ago, BishopT said:

Of course it affects the grade or the label.. Incomplete

Oh good the "Books you can't find in the wild (but I just found one or more of them already or I wouldn't be posting because I don't really tell people about books I can't find in the wild, I post about books I JUST FOUND in the wild that I now want to sell) " thread is back.

:D

Edited by bababooey

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

Oh good the "Books you can't find in the wild (but I just found one or more of them already or I wouldn't be posting because I don't really tell people about books I can't find in the wild, I post about books I JUST FOUND in the wild that I now want to sell) " thread is back.

(tsk) That was the first slight topic shift, from a little while ago.

Now it's the Image Newsstand Edition thread.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, F For Fake said:

I've managed to dig up about five copies of WildCATS 2 NS in the past few months (only one in high grade, around 9.6, the others have all been around F/VF), but have only found one NS of WildCATS 1.

I've managed to snag three or four Shadowhawk 1 NS's, but again, they've all been mid-grade. I also managed to dig up a Deathblow 1 NS (around VF+) which is the only copy I've ever personally seen.

They're fun to hunt. You don't find them often, but when you do, they're usually cheap, because they've been tossed in with all of the other Image drek.

Did anyone ever confirm if there was a Youngblood 1 NS? I've never seen one, that's for sure.

...and now I'm eyeballing the early Image titles for newsstand versions, along with looking for the Roman numeral second and later printings on the DC 90s glut books. Man, I need to get a life!

I did find a Supreme Vol. 2 1 newsie and a Pitt 1 as well, so now I've got a collection going. Too late to turn back now!

Edited by mrwoogieman

51 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

...and now I'm eyeballing the early Image titles for newsstand versions, along with looking for the Roman numeral second and later printings on the DC 90s glut books. Man, I need to get a life!

I did find a Supreme Vol. 2 1 newsie and a Pitt 1 as well, so now I've got a collection going. Too late to turn back now!

Haven't found a Pitt 1 yet.

Let the Image Newsstand haters hate.

7 hours ago, bababooey said:

Painting a broad stroke there.

If you don't like it you don't have to post here you know that right?

Edited by fastballspecial

17 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

It's easier to just give in and join us. 

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, Bird said:

I went to a new LCS for me and was hoping to get a Spawn 1 cheap, and I did. It was a newsstand and they had quite a few of the early issues. But I was in a hurry and actually did not think clearly and left with only the #1. It is an hour away but I may go back sometime. Listed the #1 on ebay at $85 but no takers yet! :baiting::flipbait:

I bought a 400 book lot recently because I spied BA12.  I was just about to toss all these old Image books into the sell as bulk lot when I read about this newsstand Fad.  Spawn 2,3,4,6,7 and some savage dragon all newsstand and NM.  Bonus.