• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Well I about fell over when I found this one today. Been looking for one of these for years. I did find an X-Men several years ago so now its 2.

X1E9yorl.jpg

What's the story with this one? Is it just a tough newsstand?

Edited by Davidone

22 minutes ago, Davidone said:

18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Well I about fell over when I found this one today. Been looking for one of these for years. I did find an X-Men several years ago so now its 2.

X1E9yorl.jpg

From memory there are at least 2 and I think 3 copies of this book and the Hulk and X-Men variants. 

The normal $.25/.50 copy with normal $.25/$.50 price in UPC
The newsstand copy with $2.25 price tag on UPC with no $.25 or $.50 tag/circle on cover.
& Lastly the rarest is the $.25/$.50 Price Tag, Newstand $2.25 price, and still has the $.25/.50 tag/circle on the cover as well.

The last 2 are both rare, but the last one is astronomically impossible to find.  Ive had 2 newsstand copies and Ive been looking for several years.

Anyone feel free to correct me here its been a long time since I have looked up any information, but I think 3 copies exist for all 3 right? I know for a fact the X-Men book has 3 copies. And if you find one I better get some props. Ask Flatliner1313. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 7/2/2017 at 1:32 PM, fastballspecial said:

Found this yesterday didn't buy it. Never seen them sealed before. I was lucky to find a nm+ copy last year but this reprint is a tough find in high grade. Its the reprint of the giant size treasure team ups. I will attach a pic later as my phone isn't helping me out.imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

20170630_204545.jpg

20170630_204549.jpg

FWIW, these were sold at Toys R Us (and probably a few other outlets).  It was one of the first comic packs I purchased when I got a gift card for my birthday back in the 90s.

I think I still have a relatively high grade Batman/Hulk left in one of my long boxes just waiting to be listed and sold.

On 7/3/2017 at 7:48 PM, fastballspecial said:

Do you really think anyone hasn't done the math?  

Those that have been doing this along time know plenty or shortcuts to cut down your 
procedure by quite a bit. Its called preparation. I can do 4 or 5 books in a hour if I have too.

I did 3 orders last night in 30 minutes. Here is another secret. I like doing it, its a fun hobby. 

I have a real job that pays the bills, but dollar bin diving has been a great boost to my bank account for 20 years now. $10 for a $1 book sounds great!

* I get flash mailers for about 60-75 cents each, cost of bag and board barely adds 10 cents to that. If you want to get pre-cut pads to secure the books, you're looking at another 10 cents or so. So, buy in bulk, shipping supply cost is only around $1.

* Shipping label printing cost is about $20 for a new cartridge every few months, and labels are about $8 for a pack of 200 from Amazon.

* eBay and PP fees do indeed come out to about 13%, if you're getting free listings. This does, in fact, blow, but all in all it's not too steep a price to pay to get your books in front of the eyes of millions of buyers, and have the money come directly to your bank account.

As for time:

* If it takes you 5 minutes to load and tape up a comic in a flash mailer, you're doing something wrong.

* Once you have a template set on eBay, the listing time is negligible, as in 30 seconds or less.  

* There is no fuel cost or appreciable delivery time spent as USPS picks them up from my doorstep, for free. And it just so happens I have to walk upstairs anyway, you know, to go to bed and stuff.

So that just leaves the time spent looking for the books, which is the fun part! I'd be doing it anyway for my own collection, so picking up books to resell along the way adds no burden, and in fact just increases the pleasure of the hunt.

So no, I wouldn't want to depend on $1 books sold for $10 as my only source of income, but as a hobby it is incredibly lucrative and not at all expensive or time consuming.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peng-1-VF-NM-Oni-save-on-shipping-details-inside-/382150015560?hash=item58f9ea7a48:g:QQsAAOSwPWRZWs2H

Anyone know anything about this book ("Peng" from Oni)? I found one in a 50 cent box a few years ago and haven't been able to find hardly any info on it, and that eBay listing is the only one I've seen in the last few years. Never run across another copy since.

51 minutes ago, BishopT said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peng-1-VF-NM-Oni-save-on-shipping-details-inside-/382150015560?hash=item58f9ea7a48:g:QQsAAOSwPWRZWs2H

Anyone know anything about this book ("Peng" from Oni)? I found one in a 50 cent box a few years ago and haven't been able to find hardly any info on it, and that eBay listing is the only one I've seen in the last few years. Never run across another copy since.

Don't know anything about it but the seller is notorious for having over-inflated prices.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

The Donut Way:

Cost of book: At this point, almost all are free as costs have been recouped already, but lets say $0.10 just to keep it interesting.
Book sells for $5.00.
Because I'm a Top Rated Seller, I get big discounts on shipping, so I get $0.25 in profit on my shipping, so gross in for a $5 item is $5.25.
eBay fees: $1.35
Paypal fees: $0.51
Cost of materials to protect item $0.19 for 1 sheet 200# card board from Papermart. All other shipping supplies are free from either the UPS or USPS.
Cost of fuel to ship item: $0.00. Not my cost, USPS
Net profit: $3.10

Time to scan pic/upload: 30 seconds
Time to create listing including all relevant details: 1 minute
Time to process payment: 20 seconds
Time to package book: 1 minute
Extra time to take item from the office door to the mail drop instead of just going to my desk: 10 seconds.
Total time: 3:00

Sales conversion (last 12 months): 88.1%

Hourly rate (($3.10 * (60/3))*.881) = $54.62. 

$54.62 for something I can do every night with my brain turned completely off - and that's only selling things for $5 on average - that's the absolute minimum. My 90-day moving average (right now) for sales is $13.76 an item - which comes out to $11.49 per item in profit (based on the above calculations).  That's $202.45 an hour. 

Just saying.

(worship)

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

4 hours ago, BishopT said:

Don't know anything about it but the seller is notorious for having over-inflated prices.

Very proud of their books I must say. 

15 hours ago, BishopT said:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=12648411

MyComicShop will also buy a VF copy for 76 cents.

Hi all, can anyone help me with this comic in terms of possible value and information on the signature??  I'm fairly new to collecting comic books. I stumbled across this in a local book shop today. Picked it up for $3. Looks to be in great condition. I'm from Australia

i cant upload a photo! Its Spawn #9 1993 with a "Al Simmons AKA Spawn 94" signed in a gold type of pen. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

3 hours ago, Wolverine3 said:

Hi all, can anyone help me with this comic in terms of possible value and information on the signature??  I'm fairly new to collecting comic books. I stumbled across this in a local book shop today. Picked it up for $3. Looks to be in great condition. I'm from Australiaimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

i cant upload a photo! Its Spawn #9 1993 with a "Al Simmons AKA Spawn 94" signed in a gold type of pen. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Image-Comics-Spawn-9-Signed-by-Al-Simmons-AKA-SPAWN-More-Lot-of-4-Items-/253019596831?hash=item3ae924a81f:g:8bAAAOSwo4pYfBTH

going along the lines of the topic.  why do I have an easier time pulling $50 and $100 books out of  dollar bins by the multiples and by the triples then I do finding a book I actually need for my run that is only worth $3.  granted its a good problem to have I just find it extremely weird.  wish I could just find both types of books:)