• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don't know the answer, but when image came onto the scene in 1992 were they ready full blast with getting a ton of product out on newsstands?  and also, i wonder about 200-300K.  there were only so many spots on newsstands.  they aren't going to fill 20 racks with spawn 1 or keep a box of them to re-fill.  why wouldn't spwan 1 be on par with the newsstand circulation of a solid selling marvel book from the day?  were newsstands getting hundreds of extra copies of this #1 to re-fill the racks with?

no vested interest.  i have no newsstand spawn 1s.  but 200-300K sounds high because it sounds like a chunk higher than any other book out there in terms of newsstand copies.  maybe i'm wrong..what were the newsstand numbers like on x-men 1 and spiderman 1?  (which i think is a bit different as a known ocmmodity from marvel, not a new company).  with that said, i'd venture to guess there were very few returns of spawn 1.

Image was a new company, but initially there were the equivalent of an imprint of Malibu Comics, which was not a new company

So I am still missing a couple of other Image Newsstand issues. Anyone confirm any of these below?

Deathblow 1 - Exists
Wildstar 1 - I saw this one in a lot so I know it exists
Tribe 1
Shaman's Tears 1
Union - I have the second series never seen the 1st. 
Trencher 1 
Savage Dragon 1 - Yeah I know it exists just haven't found one yet.
Pitt 1 - Yeah it exists just haven't been lucky yet.
Team 7  1 - Exists have copy

Edited by fastballspecial

On 7/7/2017 at 8:51 AM, classicaaron said:

going along the lines of the topic.  why do I have an easier time pulling $50 and $100 books out of  dollar bins by the multiples and by the triples then I do finding a book I actually need for my run that is only worth $3.  granted its a good problem to have I just find it extremely weird.  wish I could just find both types of books:)

On 7/7/2017 at 9:08 AM, jsilverjanet said:

What books are you finding in multiples for $1 that are worth $100

Aaaand he was never heard from again. meh

On 7/17/2017 at 2:00 PM, fastballspecial said:

So I am still missing a couple of other Image Newsstand issues. Anyone confirm any of these below?

Deathblow 1
Wildstar 1 - I saw this one in a lot so I know it exists
Tribe 1
Shaman's Tears 1
Union - I have the second series never seen the 1st. 
Trencher 1 
Savage Dragon 1 - Yeah I know it exists just haven't found one yet.
Pitt 1 - Yeah it exists just haven't been lucky yet.

Deathblow does exist:

596e964cbf2e0_Deathblow1newsstand.thumb.jpg.ca47c2e5f245f84fcba0b306054b4c1f.jpg

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

It took me another 8 more shops/flea markets/book stores this week, but I finally found one. Total 
of around 20 shops/fleamarkets/book stores/conventions to find a copy. :acclaim:

iLY4Rual.jpg

Congrats!

I was happy with the first newsstands I found... I bought them during a day drinking session on Saturday...  Did a once again last night after work because I couldn't sleep and found the Pitt newsstand and X-men 297 Pressman... Grabbed my pillow and said "my work is done here. " ? 

51 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

What is your understanding of rare?

They're MORE rare than the direct edition, especially in high grade.  They're rare enough that I'd buy a copy for $1 or less if I saw it in a store, and I wouldn't buy the direct version for $1 in a store.

Hopefully that helps.

That about sums it up.

They are just hard in NM or better. You can find one if you look hard enough, but high grade is very tough. 
The Maxx book alone is tougher just due to black cover as well.

Some are rarer then others and sum I still haven't figured out if they exist yet. 
SD was very tough for me while others found a copy on their first chance.

Edited by fastballspecial

7 minutes ago, revat said:

They're MORE rare than the direct edition, especially in high grade.  They're rare enough that I'd buy a copy for $1 or less if I saw it in a store, and I wouldn't buy the direct version for $1 in a store.

Hopefully that helps.

You don't like the cash :flipbait:

On 7/9/2017 at 11:54 AM, fastballspecial said:

I hope it has spine stress marks. I hate all you Dragon finders.

On 7/19/2017 at 8:57 PM, fastballspecial said:

It took me another 8 more shops/flea markets/book stores this week, but I finally found one. Total 
of around 20 shops/fleamarkets/book stores/conventions to find a copy. :acclaim:

iLY4Rual.jpg

I hope yours is a CGC 10. 

See what I did there?

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

That about sums it up.

They are just hard in NM or better. You can find one if you look hard enough, but high grade is very tough. 
The Maxx book alone is tougher just due to black cover as well.

Some are rarer then others and sum I still haven't figured out if they exist yet. 
SD was very tough for me while others found a copy on their first chance.

Well the Maxx book are both VF with several spine tics?  Would you pick that up?

My basic advice is if you don't have a plan for the book don't pick it up. What I mean by that is this.
This hobby has made my life richer in ways that wealth will never touch. 

I collect for fun and profit to support my fun. I was a solid collector/reader for almost 20 years before
I ever sold or traded a book. 

The hobby has changed the last few years. The collector base joining doesn't read books anymore. They
collect covers, variants, and art. Nothing wrong with any of that, but understand what you are getting into.

Have a plan for the books you buy, just don't pick it up because a thread says
it hard to get.  Do your homework. This goes for a lot of people here, experience can be painful otherwise.
Just my 2c