• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

That is amazing.  How rare was that?

IIRC, there was a discussion about this book in the Copper section a couple years ago. I've searched for it, but the new boards drink my milkshake every time I try.

Edited by awakeintheashes

17 hours ago, valiantman said:

I don't see any front cover differences from the direct edition... so I wonder how many listed for sale have been newsstand (or might be right now).

I just picked up a second copy of this for $3 at the LCS, didn't realize it was a newsstand since the UPC is on back. The only difference I found was paper quality. The direct has a nice cardstock cover and glossy pages, while the newsie is regular cover material and flat pages. 

Got to look through some long boxes not yet processed by the store, yesterday, and found some great stuff, including one of my very favorite individual comic books ever. Not as rare as most of the stuff posted in here, but definitely not books you see in the wild everyday;

Power Girl #27 (looks Fine-ish, a steal at $5)

Zatanna #11 (VF, also $5)

Zatanna #16 (Fine- ish as well, but I was glad to get it for $5)

Miracleman #15 (NM... like, 9.4-9.6 before a press. Just in a bag with no board. The owner of course knew this one was a big deal, so I agreed to come back in the next day to trade towards it. Traded in six $10-$15 books for it, none were books I was going to particularly miss and also either paid cover price or less for. Great deal for me, this is one of my favorite books ever.)

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

Edited by BishopT

3 hours ago, BishopT said:

Got to look through some long boxes not yet processed by the store, yesterday, and found some great stuff, including one of my very favorite individual comic books ever. Not as rare as most of the stuff posted in here, but definitely not books you see in the wild everyday;

Power Girl #27 (looks Fine-ish, a steal at $5)

Zatanna #11 (VF, also $5)

Zatanna #16 (Fine- ish as well, but I was glad to get it for $5)

Miracleman #15 (NM... like, 9.4-9.6 before a press. Just in a bag with no board. The owner of course knew this one was a big deal, so I agreed to come back in the next day to trade towards it. Traded in six $10-$15 books for it, none were books I was going to particularly miss and also either paid cover price or less for. Great deal for me, this is one of my favorite books ever.)

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

Good day at the "office."(thumbsu

45 minutes ago, Davidone said:

That huge article just to say the same thing I said in a few sentences in this thread.  :facepalm:

Oh well, at least he was also able to repeat his same old garbage misinformation yet again. :facepalm::facepalm: That's not to say that there isn't any good information on his site... at least before he misinterprets it and twists it into misinformation.

I like this paragraph: "Let’s examine that first question: why are people inaccurately referring to “regular cover” direct edition copies as newsstand editions?  I contend that the confusion is likely related to the “switch-over” from direct editions being denoted by logos, to denoted by UPC codes, combined with the fact that the embossed edition has its UPC code on the back cover."

No, it's because, for whatever reason, many people don't think the newsstand distribution system got enhanced versions of comics (the "regular" editions of the relatively few enhanced issues before everything got UPCs are also commonly called "newsstands"). Of course, that's inaccurate. Even if newsstands did only get regular editions, that wouldn't mean that the DM didn't also get regular editions and still make calling regular editions "newsstands" inaccurate.

Continuing to show his ignorance: "so in summary, our prediction would be that the “regular” direct edition would carry the numbers 40011 and the “alternate cover” would carry the numbers 40021.  In looking at the two, it seems fairly logical that the special/more-expensive “embossed” version would be the “alternate” cover… while the plain/lower-cover-price version would be the “regular” cover, would it not?"

No, it would be very unwise to assume that. That is not always the case (ie. Action Comics 695, Uncanny X-Men 350).

"By the way, check out what happened to the newsstand return numbers towards the end of the 1990s… they fell off the proverbial cliff and crossed into the 5-digits…" (referring to ASM)

Yeah, because the total distribution plummeted, dropping to barely over 100,000. Context.

"by 2001 the average return numbers for Amazing Spider-Man were just 17,210 copies (which means the actual newsstand sales were positively minuscule)"

No, it means somebody *cough* lacks the knowledge to put that information into context. What was special about that time? I wonder if something or somebody was causing Marvel to cut costs at every opportunity. hm Why did returns jump back up to 42,593 in the following year's statement? Overall sales sure didn't increase by 250% the following year.

"There are a number of newsstand rarity estimates out there for Marvel by year, including an estimate from Chuck Rozanski at 15% newsstand by 1990 and 10% by 1995 for Marvel (that being his “Marvel-wide” estimate), and a BPA audit for 1999 citing 14% newsstand sales at Marvel overall."

How can he still think Chuck's numbers mean anything? Does he not pay attention to what he's writing? (shrug)

Okay, I'm tired of pointing out his errors. Does somebody else want to take over?

SCCC was shaping up to be a bust of epic proportions, but then I snagged these two for $20 together... the Ghost Rider is VF- but the Punisher looks to be a 9.8 candidate.

IMG_2190.JPG

Edited by BishopT