• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2017 at 11:19 PM, Michael Browning said:

And, the last one for the night, which is possibly the hardest comic I've had to find in a long, long time: Betty 8 featuring a very racy cover by Dan DeCarlo. This is the only copy I've ever been able to find.

betty8.jpg

Whoa, that's awesome! Now I need one!

And echoing Hector, yeah, these may be RELATIVELY hard to find, but the thread clearly proves that Image newsstands ARE out there if you're willing to dig. Here's another Deathblow 1 for ya, the third I've found in the last couple of months. Not exactly rare, but fun to chase, nonetheless.

Photo Sep 02, 3 12 19 PM.jpg

As far as Image newsstands: Today, I found a near-complete run of WildCATS from 1-19, Shadow Hawk 1-3, Deathblow 3-11, several Spawns and several Gen 13 issues (no #1). The shop owner has them all priced at what they sell for on eBay, so I passed on all of them. They range from $6-$4 each, which, for these, I think is too high. The owner has had them since they were published and keeps hiking the prices each year on them as the owner does with all the shop's back issues that don't sell, so I don't buy that many from that particular shop. (The funny thing is, when I start looking at the shop's back issue comics, the owner makes note of what I've looked at and then goes back in and reprices them higher, despite the fact that most haven't sold in years and probably won't anytime soon. Sometimes I pull stuff to look at, take it up to the counter and ask the owner about it, put it back in its longbox, then go back the next week to see if it is priced higher. Many times it is.)

4 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

As far as Image newsstands: Today, I found a near-complete run of WildCATS from 1-19, Shadow Hawk 1-3, Deathblow 3-11, several Spawns and several Gen 13 issues (no #1). The shop owner has them all priced at what they sell for on eBay, so I passed on all of them. They range from $6-$4 each, which, for these, I think is too high. The owner has had them since they were published and keeps hiking the prices each year on them as the owner does with all the shop's back issues that don't sell, so I don't buy that many from that particular shop. (The funny thing is, when I start looking at the shop's back issue comics, the owner makes note of what I've looked at and then goes back in and reprices them higher, despite the fact that most haven't sold in years and probably won't anytime soon. Sometimes I pull stuff to look at, take it up to the counter and ask the owner about it, put it back in its longbox, then go back the next week to see if it is priced higher. Many times it is.)

My shop seems to have an endless supply of these image books, but no frigging newsies

21 hours ago, Philflound said:

Most shops have a ton of Image direct. Unless collections walk in, they most likely would never have had newsstands as they would have to have paid retail for them and sit on them all these years.

8IMAG0143_1280x960.thumb.jpg.79777b29483b99da7ab6ca3d285647b1.jpg

I grabbed all the newsie copies i could find in the collection. Most of them came from local shops, one from ebay in a small lot. The spawn 100 book was actually the only copy of that issue in a longbox, marked for $8

IMAGE NS_1280x960.jpg

Terminator books are actually not easy to find. When I went to the shop last weekend, I asked the owner if he had any. For some reason I'm missing several issues of the Now ongoing series.  I do have the mini series though. I have no idea why I never picked up all the issues back then.

I did forget to mention the Malibu series also. I know there were a few. I do have all them. Again, the store owner had nothing. They probably should sell higher than they do, but then I'd be paying alot for the ones I'm missing. :)

Edited by Philflound

8 hours ago, Philflound said:

Terminator books are actually not easy to find. When I went to the shop last weekend, I asked the owner if he had any. For some reason I'm missing several issues of the Now ongoing series.  I do have the mini series though. I have no idea why I never picked up all the issues back then.

I did forget to mention the Malibu series also. I know there were a few. I do have all them. Again, the store owner had nothing. They probably should sell higher than they do, but then I'd be paying alot for the ones I'm missing. :)

I wasn't aware of a series published by Malibu, now i have to check it out. 

10 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I'm always looking for terminator stuff every time i see a box of comics, i rarely find any terminator books at all, im glad i  have this book but i would probably like it more if i found it on the hunt

IMAG0146.thumb.jpg.d211630450c44b5c651adaac578aa528.jpg

Isn't this also the first Alex Ross

11 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

I'm always looking for terminator stuff every time i see a box of comics, i rarely find any terminator books at all, im glad i  have this book but i would probably like it more if i found it on the hunt

IMAG0146.thumb.jpg.d211630450c44b5c651adaac578aa528.jpg

I vividly remember seeing this book on the stands at a convenience store in my neighborhood when I was a kid. Had to have it, that cover blew my mind. I didn't make the Alex Ross connection until years after "Marvels" had been released.

NOW did some pretty cool stuff. Rust, Ralph Snart, Ghostbusters. It was an interesting line.

On 9/6/2017 at 11:50 PM, Philflound said:

Most shops have a ton of Image direct. Unless collections walk in, they most likely would never have had newsstands as they would have to have paid retail for them and sit on them all these years.

my shop doesn't have anything for sale they bought in 1993!  this is all they have bought for pennies a book from people dragging them in, clearing out their storage rooms, whatever.  their from 1993 has been turned over and blown out forever.  someone must have sold them a few long boxes of 90s drek they have been doling out in the cheap-o boxes, but its many of the same issues that were speculated on.

I just found some malibu newssies too

IMG_8880.jpg

Ran across an Amazing Spiderman #25 (vol. 2) newsstand non-enhanced cover tonight... but it was in rough shape and for $2 so I passed on it. I've been looking for this one, so if it's still around during their sale in a few weeks I may pick it up just to have.