• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,478 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2017 at 11:10 PM, Philflound said:

It's funny that people honed in on the Betty #8, but the Veronica #171 is pretty much nowhere to be found. The few I saw sold on Ebay went rather cheap, but were probably snatched up quickly because the sellers didn't know what they had. I'd guess this book should be a minimum of $10.

Yeah, but the Betty issue is special..Veronica looks like a million other Archie bathing suit covers

On 10/6/2017 at 4:28 PM, UltraMaximus said:

Raw copy sold for $2k in 2016. no 9.8's exist, and only 3 9.6s. so yeah.  Nice to see the peanut gallery hasn't changed much around here.   

s-l1600.jpg

It's a rare book because basically up until last year nobody knew this book even existed - I'm a fairly hardcore Sandman collector and even I thought it was a myth (or misprint in the OSPG).

The fact that there's now 12 copies in the census and multiple raw copies are popping up on eBay fairly regularly shows that, as people are becoming aware of the existence of this book, they're managing to find it in the wild. Heck, I snagged my own raw copy out of a $5 box earlier this year - simply because I'm now actively looking for this book.

Right now this book is the rarest Sandman variant out there (based on census numbers), but it would be foolish to think that's going to be the case in the future. That honor will always end up going to the #8 Berger editorial variant simply because it has a far smaller print run than this book.

Good luck with the sale of your copy  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, the blob said:

criminey, how on earth would anyone know this unless they already knew it!

The Direct Sales box is the key. If you see a Spidey box with the blank margin at the top (where 30th Anniversary" was, it's a JC Penney variant. The Spidey JC Penney's (Web 81, Spec 156) are a little harder to discern unless you can see the back cover, which will have a Stridex ad. 

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

The Direct Sales box is the key. If you see a Spidey box with the blank margin at the top (where 30th Anniversary" was, it's a JC Penney variant. The Spidey JC Penney's (Web 81, Spec 156) are a little harder to discern unless you can see the back cover, which will have a Stridex ad. 

my head hurts already.  i can only fit like 5 phone numbers in my head, this is too much.

So I haven't discussed this one in awhile. Its the book to have if you are collector of this title.
Very Very tough to find. 2 boardies have found a copy that I know. (You are welcome Flatliner!)

There is a copy D and copy E of this book. Both are very very scarce. Ive never seen either in person.
One will pop on ebay once or twice a year and usually sells for $50-100. 

420027.jpg

23 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

So you're saying u don't like dans stuff but u like dans stuff? ?

Oh, I like Dan's stuff plenty, but he's no Dan, you know? Dan was the original, and still the king. Dan is a fine artist in his own right, though. But I think we all know that Dan really had the goods when it came to the babes.

On 10/10/2017 at 2:31 PM, mschmidt said:

It's a rare book because basically up until last year nobody knew this book even existed - I'm a fairly hardcore Sandman collector and even I thought it was a myth (or misprint in the OSPG).

The fact that there's now 12 copies in the census and multiple raw copies are popping up on eBay fairly regularly shows that, as people are becoming aware of the existence of this book, they're managing to find it in the wild. Heck, I snagged my own raw copy out of a $5 box earlier this year - simply because I'm now actively looking for this book.

Right now this book is the rarest Sandman variant out there (based on census numbers), but it would be foolish to think that's going to be the case in the future. That honor will always end up going to the #8 Berger editorial variant simply because it has a far smaller print run than this book.

Good luck with the sale of your copy  (thumbsu

Where did you get the print run data? Because 75 2nd was not even in the top 300 the ordering was so low. #8 Berger had 600 copies confirmed, and 75 2nd is rumored to be much less. So just wondering where you get the info that 75 2nd is less rare than #8 editorial?

1 hour ago, UltraMaximus said:

Where did you get the print run data? Because 75 2nd was not even in the top 300 the ordering was so low. #8 Berger had 600 copies confirmed, and 75 2nd is rumored to be much less. So just wondering where you get the info that 75 2nd is less rare than #8 editorial?

Let me guess - the people spreading that rumor are the ones trying to sell copies of this book, right? :)

It's simple logic - the Sandman #8 editorial variant was a legit "stop the press, we screwed up" sort of book. Which is why the confirmed print run is so tiny. That book was never supposed to exist at all.

But to think that DC or Marvel in the mid-90s would print only 600 copies of any top tier book on purpose - 1st or 2nd print, it doesn't matter - is crazy. Sandman #75 was the last issue of DC/Vertigo's flagship title, which, at the height of its popularity, outsold all other DC books. If orders were strong enough to warrant DC actually putting out a 2nd print, you can be 110% sure that DC printed up a ton of these to satisfy the demand. It just wouldn't have been economical for them otherwise.

The most likely explanation for you not being able to find the 2nd print by itself in Comichron's numbers is that the 1st & 2nd print preorders are bundled together in there. It's pretty common when you start going that far back in their system.

Edited by mschmidt

I don't have a stake in this discussion---I just wanted to comment on reading most of these posts;  Wow....so many guys and gals on here have a tremendous amount of knowledge---it's incredible to read the posts and then the follow-up dialogue from other well-schooled members that are agreeing or disagreeing to the information posted.  It's impressive.....albeit intimidating too!  HA!

On 9/12/2017 at 9:49 PM, sfcityduck said:

You guys want to see a really rare modern comic?  Below is a really really rare modern comic that I just submitted to CGC.  It may be the only one.  It's also historically interesting as it led the NCAA to change their recruiting rules.  You can read about it in these Sports Illustrated articles:

https://www.si.com/college-football/photos/2008/06/23oregons-jonathan-stewart-comic-book

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/05/19/11-college-football-recruiting-tactics-stories-methods

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/06/23/recruiting-main

oregon-comic-cover.jpg

CGC just graded my "Amazing O-Men".  I was a afraid they might take a pass like they do with GA ashcans.  They describe it as:  "Custom comic manufactured individually for potential 2005 Oregon Ducks recruits."  Published 1/05 by the University of Oregon with Brian Merrell cover & art.  They gave it a 7.5 White, which seems low (but entirely irrelevant since another will probably never be graded), but the graders notes state "Light fingerprints whole book.  Small finger bends left center of back cover.  Spine stress lines."  Which I guess are the kind of flaws that a cleaning and press would largely take care of.  

On 10/6/2017 at 5:00 PM, darkstar said:
On 10/6/2017 at 4:19 PM, UltraMaximus said:

No the book is actually quite rare, considering there are threads on this site even where people were telling others "It doesn't exist".

Stop trying to act like you know all about every rare comic, it's obvious you are clueless. 

I know that Sandman increased its print run as the series was ending. I know that issue saw enough interest to see a second printing. Exactly how low do you believe the 2nd print run to be? Which is more likely the reason for low census numbers, that the book is truly rare or that the book suffers from widespread disinterest from the market? 

That's a nice, measured response to a hostile, aggressive (and untrue) attack. Refreshing. 

In any event, Sandman #75 2nd is legitimately quite scarce, due to a confluence of factors at the time it came out. It's definitely an exception, like Supergirl #1 third print. 

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's a nice, measured response to a hostile, aggressive (and untrue) attack. Refreshing. 

In any event, Sandman #75 2nd is legitimately quite scarce, due to a confluence of factors at the time it came out. It's definitely an exception, like Supergirl #1 third print. 

hm