• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Again, It would be nice if you contributed anything of substance to the thread.

Sure, I'll just post a bunch of stuff I own and pretend it's hard to find. I'll fit in perfectly!

This thread is basically played out and has been for quite some time. How many people have to post the same stupid Image Newsstand or other garbage before it becomes obvious that it really isn't hard to find in the wild?

19 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Sure, I'll just post a bunch of stuff I own and pretend it's hard to find. I'll fit in perfectly!

This thread is basically played out and has been for quite some time. How many people have to post the same stupid Image Newsstand or other garbage before it becomes obvious that it really isn't hard to find in the wild?

Like I said before, contribute something of substance to this thread - especially if you think it's played out (I mean, why even come to this thread at all then?). That's what the rest of us are doing. While some of you may find these books in large supplies at your local comic shops, I do not. Isn't that what this thread is all about?

On 6/14/2018 at 8:24 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Pulled one of those signed McFarlane Spidey 1's with the red spider stamp on the back out of Earl Shaw's $2 boxes at Heroes today. First time I've found one of those in a bargain box.

BTW, what is the significance of the red spider stamp?

SM1bTM 1.jpeg

Edited by divad

14 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

So, we're only supposed to post stuff YOU care about?

What, we're only allowed to post the last issue of Static on here?

lol You think I care about that issue? I'm not one of the people who filled this 10% of the early life of this thread with posts about that book.

13 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

All of these are very hard to find IN THE WILD.

All? Absolutely not. Some? Definitely.

The Web of Spider-Man 119 that is bagged with the Marvel Milestones issue is almost impossible to find in the wild.

Agree. I've never seen one.

Those last issues of GI Joe are very hard to find.

Meh. I've only seen the last issue twice, but I've seen a bunch of late issue runs other than that.

The X-Force 115 is a newsstand edition and I haven't seen one of those since it was on the shelf at Books-A-Million when it first opened where I live.

zzz But I actually had a copy of that one. It wasn't nicer than my other one and I don't care about Newsstands, so into the sell pile it went.

I owned the original cover art to the Original Ghost Rider 20 and had never seen a copy of the comic until a month after I sold the art.

Wow. That's unlucky.

The last issues of The Nam are extremely hard to find.

Disagree. They may be a bit harder to find than the average comic from 1993, but that's not saying much.

Book of Fate 12 is another book that I never found in any shop.

I've never looked for that one specifically, but the cover seems familiar.

GI Joe 3D #8 is a book I'd never seen until I found it this week (and Blackthorne used to send me their catalogs of upcoming comics and I never knew it existed).

Powdered Toast Man is also one I didn't know existed.

The later Malibu Suns never turn up.

The Robin Annual 5 is the DC Universe logo variant that is tough to find.

And I'm so sure you find Pink Panther #1s in the wild so very often.

Couldn't care less and don't remember if I've ever seen these.

22 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't speak for him, but that's not what he said. You're making an argument from emotion, rather than reason. 

This thread has morphed from a "books you can't find" to "look what I found!"...there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the point of the thread, ultimately.

Very few of the books you posted are that hard to find in the wild. They're pretty common on eBay, too.

But what it really comes down to is this: if you think they're hard to find, instead of getting mad at criticism, why not make your case for why you think these books ARE that hard to find? People can agree or disagree, but getting annoyed at people doesn't produce anything of value.

Is eBay "the wild"?

I can find rare comics all day on eBay because when you have a global comic shop, these things become less and less "rare". However, finding these in the wild is what this thread is supposed to be about. So, it's either being taken over by Image newsstand editions or the old pros on here are complaining about how its a played-out thread.

There's not a lot of actual discussion going on on here - on any of these threads. Just someone posting something and then someone else making a snarky remark. I would love to see some good discussion on here, but it just seems to be the same old guys barking at newer members and causing them to lose their enthusiasm and you get what we have here.

I have found about 10 New Teen Titans 130s in the wild. It doesn't seem to be a hard book at all to find. I recall early on that was one that some said was hard to find. I've got a couple copies left in my long boxes.

Everything I post is stuff I have dug out of collections I go through each week. If I was seeing these on a regular basis, I wouldn't post them at all. I do not think I have ever seen a longbox with a divider card in it for Cowboys of Moo Mesa, so, yes, that is one that doesn't pop up often in the wild.

No, those later GI Joes don't show up at shops much anymore because all of those had very low print runs.

And, like I said earlier, that GI Joe 3D #8 is one I never knew existed and I was on Blackthorne's mailing list in the 1980s and still have all my catalogs and correspondence from them and there was never anything that I can find in there about that book.

I haven't seen a Sentry #1 in the wild in years. Those were either sold in quarter boxes long ago or someone is hoarding them in my area if they are that easy to find.

I do want to keep the good discussions going, but it's kind of hard when there's only a few of us looking for, buying and posting stuff that's hard to find in the wild. Everyone else just chimes in and tells the newbies that they're wrong and who wants to post on a thread where everytime you do post something, you get criticized for it?

6 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Like I said before, contribute something of substance to this thread

I have in the past. I don't look for "rare" stuff specifically, so I don't have anything new to add. I guess I could wag my weenie and post pics of my copies of books that have been previously mentioned, but that doesn't really contribute anything, does it?

44 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

especially if you think it's played out (I mean, why even come to this thread at all then?)

Because there's always the chance that somebody has posted something interesting. Admittedly, there's usually the disappointment that they haven't, which is why I don't visit this thread very often.

45 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

While some of you may find these books in large supplies at your local comic shops, I do not. Isn't that what this thread is all about?

That's what I thought when I was contributing. I was posting about books I expected to see but rarely or never did (which I thought was the whole point) and certain people told me that my contributions were garbage.

It was interesting early on seeing the differing experiences that people had. Like I said earlier in the thread that I had never seen a copy of New Titans 130 (in person) and now you say you've found 10 of them. Silver Surfer 146 was mentioned early on and, while I do believe it's not that easy to find, I wouldn't have mentioned it because of my personal experience.

Then the thread devolved into posting variants (yes, I'm including Newsstand editions in that description) that people shouldn't expect to find very often, which goes against the stated intent from the OP and is boring. Finding stuff you didn't expect to find is a different topic.

24 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but he owned or had a large interest in a comic shop called the "Spider's Web" back then.  This was the store stamp....

From the internet:

Just before Spider-Man #1 came out, the Comics Buyer's Guide had an article about a fundraiser that the Spider's Web, a comic shop in Puyallup, Washington (I think that is where McFarlane lived at the time), had for the local high school. The store was owned by Todd and his Brother in Law. For something like $10 + shipping, they were offering autographed copies of either the regular cover or the silver cover of Spider-Man #1. these copies were authenticated by a red spider web stamp on the back cover.

"Here is the story with these stamps, Todd McFarlane used to own a comic book store and he would personally sign books he did in store and then stamp the backs of the books in red with a spider web stamp."

2 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Is eBay "the wild"?

I can find rare comics all day on eBay because when you have a global comic shop, these things become less and less "rare". However, finding these in the wild is what this thread is supposed to be about. So, it's either being taken over by Image newsstand editions or the old pros on here are complaining about how its a played-out thread.

No, eBay is not "the wild." HOWEVER...if something is easily found on eBay, it tends to negate the point of the thread.

"I can't find a single issue of Spectacular Spiderman #1 "in the wild", but there's 50 copies for sale on eBay."

There's not a lot of actual discussion going on on here - on any of these threads. Just someone posting something and then someone else making a snarky remark. I would love to see some good discussion on here, but it just seems to be the same old guys barking at newer members and causing them to lose their enthusiasm and you get what we have here.

The reason there's not a lot of discussion is simple: too many people, too invested in their own realities, are too easily offended by anyone and anything that challenges them in any way, and they subsequently react negatively, making it unpleasant for all but the troublemakers who get off on conflict.

Combine that with a generally declining willingness to read anything much longer than a tweet, and you have the result we have here: people both utterly unwilling to have discussions themselves, and also utterly unwilling to allow anyone else to have them, either.

The answer is to not take things personally. So someone thinks your books aren't hard to find. So? Does that hurt you in any way? Is that a character attack or personal smear on you? No and no. 

Everyone else just chimes in and tells the newbies that they're wrong and who wants to post on a thread where everytime you do post something, you get criticized for it?

Criticism is the way to life. Those who surround themselves with people who always tell them what they want to hear eventually die inside. Being challenged on what you believe, and why you believe it, gives you the opportunity to examine yourself, strengthen that which stands up to scrutiny, and discard that which doesn't pass muster.

It's why I appreciate people who will challenge me. I may not always LIKE it (who does?), but I appreciate it nonetheless. They'll tell me when they think I'm full of horse droppings. They may not be right....and some of them are right far oftener than others...but the challenge forces me to make sure I'M right, and not just lazily passing along the same misinformation that people pass on because no one challenges them.

In our way too easily offended society, we've lost the ability...if we ever had it...to deal with criticism properly, instead running to authorities to make the bad people be quiet. 

I would love to live in a world where everyone fawns upon my every word, and no one ever challenges me on anything. Wouldn't we all? But that's not reality, nor would I want it to be, because that way lies tyranny and despotism.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

2 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but he owned or had a large interest in a comic shop called the "Spider's Web" back then.  This was the store stamp....

That is correct.

All the signed copies of Spiderman #1 came with that store stamp, which CGC recognizes.

Todd won't sign in that spot anymore. Just the original copies were signed there.

6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I have in the past. I don't look for "rare" stuff specifically, so I don't have anything new to add. I guess I could wag my weenie and post pics of my copies of books that have been previously mentioned, but that doesn't really contribute anything, does it?

Because there's always the chance that somebody has posted something interesting. Admittedly, there's usually the disappointment that they haven't, which is why I don't visit this thread very often.

That's what I thought when I was contributing. I was posting about books I expected to see but rarely or never did (which I thought was the whole point) and certain people told me that my contributions were garbage.

It was interesting early on seeing the differing experiences that people had. Like I said earlier in the thread that I had never seen a copy of New Titans 130 (in person) and now you say you've found 10 of them. Silver Surfer 146 was mentioned early on and, while I do believe it's not that easy to find, I wouldn't have mentioned it because of my personal experience.

Then the thread devolved into posting variants (yes, I'm including Newsstand editions in that description) that people shouldn't expect to find very often, which goes against the stated intent from the OP and is boring. Finding stuff you didn't expect to find is a different topic.

I agree that the variants should go to their own thread. Maybe an Image newsstands thread. Maybe a "Variants found in dollar boxes or cheaper" thread.

I've found four or five Silver Surfer 146s in dollar boxes here locally. I have also found 12 Guardians of the Galaxy 62s, which are supposed to be pretty rare. Ghost Rider 93 - 10 copies (the hardest for me to find from that run is GR 90, to which I also owned the cover and sold, but I sold my GR 90 comic around the same time).

I was actually surprised when I saw people saying on here that NTT 130 was hard to find because I'd found so many of them. I was a regular buyer of that title at my local shop and have always bought last issues ever since I started searching for my Flash 104 back in the 1980s. NTT 130 is a book I pick up whenever I see them, because I used to get $12-$15 per copy when I'd find one. I think the price has dropped considerably now and I haven't tried to sell either of the two I have left in a long time.

The rare Punisher Armory 10s is a comic I've found two copies of lately in dollar boxes. That, along with a stack of Punisher 102-104, Punisher War Journal 79 and 80 and Punisher War Zone 37-41. I think I still have five copies of Punisher War Journal 80 that I've not sold. Punisher 102, with the white Bullseye cover, is one that I've had numerous times, finding those in the dollar boxes and selling for around $25 a copy. I've got one of those left.

I have gone through longbox after longbox to find the one, single copy of Web of Spider-Man 119 with the Marvel Milestone bagged with it, and in all my years of looking, only just found the copy I posted a week ago and it was in a shop's dollar box. I went back and went through everything again and all the multiple copies the store has are the unbagged versions.

I also recently found a copy of the Lost In Space Strangers Among Strangers (Innovation) reprint edition, which is super rare. So far, it's the only copy I've ever seen in the wild. I talked with Innovation Publisher David Campiti a few weeks back and some of those later Innovation titles had tiny print runs and are extremely hard to find, not that most collectors would even care, unless it was a Nightmares on Elm Street #6, which David said he doesn't even own a copy of.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The reason there's not a lot of discussion is simple: too many people, too invested in their own realities, are too easily offended by anyone and anything that challenges them in any way, and they subsequently react negatively, making it unpleasant for all but the troublemakers who get off on conflict.

Combine that with a generally declining willingness to read anything much longer than a tweet, and you have the result we have here: people both utterly unwilling to have discussions themselves, and also utterly unwilling to allow anyone else to have them, either.

The answer is to not take things personally. So someone thinks your books aren't hard to find. So? Does that hurt you in any way? Is that a character attack or personal smear on you? No and no. 

Criticism is the way to life. Those who surround themselves with people who always tell them what they want to hear eventually die inside. Being challenged on what you believe, and why you believe it, gives you the opportunity to examine yourself, strengthen that which stands up to scrutiny, and discard that which doesn't pass muster.

It's why I appreciate people who will challenge me. I may not always LIKE it (who does?), but I appreciate it nonetheless. They'll tell me when they think I'm full of horse droppings. They may not be right....and some of them are right far oftener than others...but the challenge forces me to make sure I'M right, and not just lazily passing along the same misinformation that people pass on because no one challenges them.

In our way too easily offended society, we've lost the ability...if we ever had it...to deal with criticism properly, instead running to authorities to make the bad people be quiet. 

I would love to live in a world where everyone fawns upon my every word, and no one ever challenges me on anything. Wouldn't we all? But that's not reality, nor would I want it to be, because that way lies tyranny and despotism.

Fawn . . . :blush:

34 minutes ago, Pirate said:

I don't see Power Girl 27's or Batgirl 12's in the wild.  

Not in dollar bins anymore. I've found a stack of PG 27's in overstock. And probably about 4 or more BG 12's over the past 6 years or so. It's sold well above cover for a while. People just were not aware of it. Everyone has different experiences though. And that's what makes this thread so ambiguous.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Not in dollar bins anymore. I've found a stack of PG 27's in overstock. And probably about 4 or more BG 12's over the past 6 years or so. It's sold well above cover for a while. People just were not aware of it. Everyone has different experiences though. And that's what makes this thread so ambiguous.

oh this thread is dollar bins?  my bad.  i was referring to not seeing them even on walls.  They go for $50+ raw.

11 minutes ago, Pirate said:

oh this thread is dollar bins?  my bad.  i was referring to not seeing them even on walls.  They go for $50+ raw.

I bought a BG 12 at the last show I was at. The dealer had two copies on their wall.

Edited by ygogolak