• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,478 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I always thought that the blue holograms were effectively being "created" over time---heat, moisture, direct sunlight in some proportion was "turning" them.  Now that you mention certain storage bags and the off-gassing---perhaps another piece of the puzzle....

Well this one had splotches which made me think that 

Edited by jsilverjanet

53 minutes ago, Lonzilla said:

Right Now, ASM #4's

Amazing Spider-Man #4s with the first appearance of Silk? Are they tough to find these days? Right after they came out, I bought out a whole bunch of deadbeat boxes at my local comic shop at a quarter a book and got around 20 of these. I just picked up one last week for a couple of bucks in NM.

54 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Amazing Spider-Man #4s with the first appearance of Silk? Are they tough to find these days? Right after they came out, I bought out a whole bunch of deadbeat boxes at my local comic shop at a quarter a book and got around 20 of these. I just picked up one last week for a couple of bucks in NM.

you need to read the "heating up thread" if you haven't.... :shy: 

On 6/21/2018 at 2:42 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That is correct.

All the signed copies of Spiderman #1 came with that store stamp, which CGC recognizes.

Todd won't sign in that spot anymore. Just the original copies were signed there.

Are you saying that CGC will yellow-label them? 

On 6/21/2018 at 12:15 AM, divad said:

And what's special about the purple webbing (vs. silver)?

SM1aPV.jpeg

Only the black cover used silver ink for the webs. On the green cover, the webs are gray, printed in the normal (CMYK) printing process. Since gray is generally printed as a combo of all those separations in 4/C printing (as opposed to a tint of black, if you're printing something 1/C), if your yellow is running a little light, or your magenta is running a little heavy, the gray will appear purplish. This is one of the reasons that the Hulk was changed to green after his first appearance. It's much easier to keep a green consistent than a gray.

9 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:
9 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I always thought that the blue holograms were effectively being "created" over time---heat, moisture, direct sunlight in some proportion was "turning" them.  Now that you mention certain storage bags and the off-gassing---perhaps another piece of the puzzle....

Well this one had splotches which made me think that 

Well take a few normal ones from your inventory and torture them. See what happens post the results that way we will know for sure.

59 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Well take a few normal ones from your inventory and torture them. See what happens post the results that way we will know for sure.

No-sir-e-fbs!  If I could prove it by recreating a chemical reaction process, I certainly would.  You would then see a few more blue hologram issues for sale including the artistic "splotch" approach.

Edited by Mapleleafvann

23 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

So I found these in a couple long boxes I picked up at the flea market today 

they aren’t real true blue holograms like I’ve seen before (these are green when viewed top down) but they look to be changing or were changed from greens to blues 

I wonder if certain bags/water have a effect on the hologram over time 

I've alluded to this in this thread as well. Generally when you find one, you find multiples. I found five together from the same collection and they were all unbagged/unboarded, from the South (high humidity) and all blue. I've seen them with blue/black splotches, turned completely black, etc. 

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I've alluded to this in this thread as well. Generally when you find one, you find multiples. I found five together from the same collection and they were all unbagged/unboarded, from the South (high humidity) and all blue. I've seen them with blue/black splotches, turned completely black, etc. 

There was a 3rd copy but it looked regular as did the others (Excalibur, X-men)

ill try some tests with the bag and the other wolverine 

Try finding one of these out in the wild. Can’t wait to get it back from CGC even with the Green Label. 

Death of Human Torch was polybagged but some variants had a black logo instead of the blue and they are signed by Jonathan Hickman. No known print run. 

9439DAF4-76F8-4CA4-B4FF-3FEE58DA9B63.jpeg

On 6/24/2018 at 7:34 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

The store stamp. They don't grade off for them.

I wasn't aware that they "grade off" for any store stamp or date stamp. hm In this instance I think they should "grade on". :grin: