• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,478 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

4 hours ago, cortown71 said:

Anyone want to try help this guy out? He didn't believe me when I told him it has to have the 25 cent bubble to be the error.

Thing is the cgc label is actually the error.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-423ERROR-CGC-9-0-VF-NM-Pricing-Error-On-Cover-Newsstand-Variant-/232529506435?

Can't help people who can't help themselves.

Yeah he just thought incorrectly because its labeled incorrectly. If he didn't know what he had I could see that mistake.

I sold a guy a X-Men 25 blue hologram error last year. Guy left me negative feedback and cursed at me in the email telling
me it wasn't a blue hologram. I politely repeatedly told him it was. Sent me like 4 emails berating me. I spent an hour on
the phone with ebay and the guy emails me back telling me it was another seller who made the mistake not me. :pullhair:

It happens

How about some books I actually never see in the wild?

I rarely come across later issues of the regular Lobo series that ended in 1999 and have NEVER pulled any from 60-64 out of $1 boxes. Deathstroke gets all the love because of the Joker 58, but I’ve found the high Deathstroke issues multiple times.

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

On 10/28/2017 at 11:38 PM, xcomic said:

It is awesome that they deemed the differing cover price attribute as worthy of being "broken out" on census, isn't it?! :-)  I am so grateful they reached this ultimate decision, and applaud them for doing so!  Way to go CGC!  Another highly interesting Marvel example is Venom/Deadpool: What If #1 from all the way out in 2011 with $3.99 cover price.   I'm even aware of a broken-out Marvel example all the way out in 2013, the year they pulled the plug on the newsstand channel.  I applaud this as one great step forward by CGC in recognizing an important "class" of newsstand comics.  But it is a small "class" in relation to the whole universe; so I hope over time they will widen their field of view even further, such that the entirety of issues where multiple types were published are broken out with unique census counts for each type.

Best,

- Ben p.s.  Maybe we can ask them to consider "breaking out" newsstand comics that have a partially different cover price as another baby step in the right direction.  As a random example, look at the cover of New Avengers #26 and notice the direct editions are $2.99 US / $3.75 CAN... but the newsstand copies are priced $2.99 US / $4.25 CAN, marking a partial difference in cover price between the types.

Can you give any specific examples. I had thought you posted scans of an example. Thanks.

19 hours ago, Philflound said:

Can you give any specific examples. I had thought you posted scans of an example. Thanks.

He has, here. Please ignore the hype, faulty logic and ridiculous assumptions (bad misinformation) and focus on the factual differences between specific Direct and Newsstand editions (good information, even if not especially meaningful). You can also investigate other titles with identical cover dates to those found in the article to find many more that aren't specifically mentioned.

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Good in terms of what? Value, I don't think there are any.

I think you can squeeze a few bucks out of the hologram covers, but that's all that comes to mind. I'm sure there must be a Malibu fan out there who knows of some ultra rare stuff that is feverishly sought after by 5 people on earth, maybe they can shed some light. As hard as it is to believe sometimes, every publisher and title seems to have a couple of hardcore fans out there somewhere, and that's all it takes to start a bidding war. Broadway Comics, Defiant, Crossgen, they all have their supporters...somewhere.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

With Malibu its all about the Silver/Mirror and Gold. 

Loved those titles back in the day. I still cant stop picking up the Silvers and Golds when I see them cheap.

Loved Prime, The Solution and Hardcase.

Ha, yes, but you would expect by now they would be worth something. Most of the other gimmicks are slowly trending up now.

#ruleof25

It has been suggested I post/ask this in here?

Does anybody know anything about this Doom (Video Game) Comic book? 

I have had it for years (can't even remember how I got it) but a quick search gives me little info.

I've been told it was some kind of giveaway and supposedly very rare.

What is it and would a rough market value be?

FB_IMG_1510356986112.jpg

3 hours ago, gaz2810i said:

It has been suggested I post/ask this in here?

Does anybody know anything about this Doom (Video Game) Comic book? 

I have had it for years (can't even remember how I got it) but a quick search gives me little info.

I've been told it was some kind of giveaway and supposedly very rare.

What is it and would a rough market value be?

FB_IMG_1510356986112.jpg

I found two eBay sales, and both books went for around $100:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Rare-DOOM-Comic-Book-1996-Knee-Deep-In-Dead-ID-Software-Video-Game/263227349825?hash=item3d49929b41:g:JN8AAOSwHZ1ZyCkv

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Vintage-Comic-Book-ID-1996-DOOM-KNEE-DEEP-IN-THE-DEAD/142519223777?hash=item212ecec5e1:g:19oAAOSwUOZZylPP

One of those sales says this:

The Doom comic is a sixteen-page comic book, written in 1996 by Steve Behling and Michael Stewart, with art and color design by Tom Grindberg, all credited with purposely gory nicknames for the occasion. It was produced by Dana Moreshead, for Marvel Comics, as a giveaway for a video game convention.