Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

3,490 posts in this topic

134 posts
1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

if each of them got 5 copies of a book, that would be 3,500

True enough. If the newsstand run was 2%, then they would have had 4,000 for B&N, which would have been enough. One thing I wonder is if the couple of estimates we've seen are of final sales after returns are subtracted, rather than print run percentages. Alternatively, maybe they didn't print enough copies for every Barnes & Nobles to get 5 copies. Maybe the stores decide what they want and some don't want any.

40,289 posts
1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

I don't really have  dog in this fight, but I was also born in 1965, and I was working in a comic store part time in 1978 and 1979. 

Punk!:baiting:

40,289 posts
35 minutes ago, paqart said:

True enough. If the newsstand run was 2%, then they would have had 4,000 for B&N, which would have been enough. One thing I wonder is if the couple of estimates we've seen are of final sales after returns are subtracted, rather than print run percentages. Alternatively, maybe they didn't print enough copies for every Barnes & Nobles to get 5 copies. Maybe the stores decide what they want and some don't want any.

Stores don’t decide what they want - that’s the whole point of newsstands

134 posts
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Stop it. lol There's no way in hell...barring being Sheldon Cooper...anyone would have had the experience and knowledge of the market that "paqart" claimed he did at 12-14. You neither.

The way I found out about this board is that I was looking for the name of a store I used to provide grading and estimating services to when they bought collections. This was in around 1977. One of the links that came up was a post on this site, by someone who I interacted with back then at that shop, who was describing what I did at that store at the time despite being a kid. It was an old post, probably several years ago now. He sent me a PM to tell me that he still had a list of Neal Adams comics that I'd written for him all the way back in '77. Believe what you like but you're wrong and that is somewhat amusing.

134 posts
1 hour ago, revat said:

Ok, then here's the real question:

I've got a line on probably 30-50 (unique issues) late Marvel newsstands (the last two years of newsstands) from non-main titles (not AMS, UXM, Avengers, Wolverine).  They're generally in VF shape and cost somewhere between $7-$10 each.  Most of them are issues I've never really seen for sale anywhere else.  Should I pull the trigger for a long-term investment?  Will there be enough completionists someday to pay $20-$50 per?

Personally, I wouldn't. I would try to buy them but not at that price. You can still get NM copies for $10 apiece from good titles. I'd try to talk him down to maybe $150-$200 for the lot.

134 posts
17 minutes ago, divad said:

Stores don’t decide what they want - that’s the whole point of newsstands

Some franchisees are given discretion. Many aren't but maybe in this case there was some leeway. I'd at least ask the question before assuming the answer.

40,289 posts
13 minutes ago, paqart said:

Some franchisees are given discretion. Many aren't but maybe in this case there was some leeway. I'd at least ask the question before assuming the answer.

in your hypothetical perhaps, but not in the real world

134 posts
23 minutes ago, divad said:

in your hypothetical perhaps, but not in the real world

Franchisees are given leeway when ordering stock about as often as Marvel printed newsstand editions in 2013. I didn't say it was common practice but it does happen. For instance, some McDonald's franchises don't have to follow the architectural design requirements of all the rest because local building codes prevent it. Maybe McDonald's doesn't exist in the real world, but last time I looked, they did.

Edited by paqart

40,289 posts
4 minutes ago, paqart said:

I didn't say it was common practice but it does happen.

that would be less than significant.

40,289 posts
5 minutes ago, paqart said:

For instance, some McDonald's franchises don't have to follow the architectural design requirements of all the rest because local building codes prevent it. Maybe McDonald's doesn't exist in the real world, but last time I looked, they did.

another statistical insignificance, and a poor correlation as well, but:whatev:

134 posts
2 minutes ago, divad said:

If that was true, Star Wars 35 cent price variants wouldn't be worth $30k.

134 posts
1 minute ago, divad said:

One of these days I'll figure out why total strangers are so willing and eager to be disrespectful of each other. Maybe it's just the way young people talk these days but I don't get it. 

40,289 posts
1 minute ago, paqart said:

One of these days I'll figure out why total strangers are so willing and eager to be disrespectful of each other. Maybe it's just the way young people talk these days but I don't get it. 

i wasn't being disrespectful at all. (shrug)

oh and btw, respect your elders. . . :preach:

Edited by divad

40,289 posts

6 minutes ago, paqart said:
8 minutes ago, divad said:

If that was true, Star Wars 35 cent price variants wouldn't be worth $30k.

ok, you win. lol

5,328 posts
1 hour ago, paqart said:

One of these days I'll figure out why total strangers are so willing and eager to be disrespectful of each other.

That will probably be on the day after I figure out why some people have the need to produce numbers based on little to no relevant information and are so eager to share their *cough* insight :eyeroll: with everybody else.

Oh, and why those same people reject the wisdom of those with more knowledge of the subject.

5,328 posts
3 hours ago, paqart said:

One thing I wonder is if the couple of estimates we've seen are of final sales after returns are subtracted, rather than print run percentages.

That's one of the things I love about the brilliant Mr. Nobel's blog. He often offers his distribution estimates, then says something like "but remember, newsstands were returnable, so we should reduce that number" and chops the number down until it fits his agenda. doh! Sorry, but distribution numbers already account for returns, unlike print runs.

37,188 posts
2 hours ago, paqart said:

That's just divad.

19,538 posts
2 hours ago, divad said:

Don't worry we are all not like that some just don't know how to be nicer it takes awhile for some of them to warm up to new members.

19,538 posts
35 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

One of these days I'll figure out why total strangers are so willing and eager to be disrespectful of each other.

That will probably be on the day after I figure out why some people have the need to produce numbers based on little to no relevant information and are so eager to share their *cough* insight :eyeroll: with everybody else.

Oh, and why those same people reject the wisdom of those with more knowledge of the subject.

You know the guy came here and has been polite the entire time. Yet you need to insult him. Can you just be a little less rude. You don't have to 
agree, but it might help our board if you were slightly more civil.

5,328 posts
6 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:
43 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You know the guy came here and has been polite the entire time. Yet you need to insult him. Can you just be a little less rude. You don't have to 
agree, but it might help our board if you were slightly more civil.

??? What's this about him or insults? I was just making a general observation.