• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2020 at 10:26 AM, Kevin.J said:

I have 135 wizard 1/2s and I know of at least 26 I dont have, there are probably a lot more.

There are no real detailed lists that I have found over the years, just what I compiled myself based on what I have found ?

I have no 1/2 slabs so didnt know that any of these were classed as test printings ?

Never actively chased these for years if I am honest and I guess this thread is not really the place for these, so apologies :foryou:

1844864397_Wiz1.png.e7285995ca68283ab6d7ae388c15c540.png

11165875_wiz2.png.3c66fd8659cf51c7a60ac3900a3b3303.png

The Wizard 1/2s are a fascinating little collection of books. Some of the variants are exceptionally rare.

It's interesting how they evolved over the years, too.

Some of them were hot when they first came out (Gen 13, Nightwing, Ultimate Spiderman), but most were pretty ho-hum.

The "mail away" nature of these books meant that the ones that were distributed were done so far and wide, mostly to collectors, which makes finding them in typical store stock fairly difficult.

Wizard sold off the remainder of their stock in 2007; this was where previously impossible books in ultra high grade, like Gen 13 1/2, came from.

Some of the more difficult variants:

Maxx 1/2 Gold, and of course the Red and Blue

X-O Manowar 1/2 Gold

Star Wars Boba Fett 1/2 Gold

Ripclaw 1/2 Gold and Dragoncon Gold

Tomb Raider 1/2 Red Foil (one to add to your list):

s-l1600.jpg

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The Wizard 1/2s are a fascinating little collection of books. Some of the variants are exceptionally rare.

It's interesting how they evolved over the years, too.

Some of them were hot when they first came out (Gen 13, Nightwing, Ultimate Spiderman), but most were pretty ho-hum.

The "mail away" nature of these books meant that the ones that were distributed were done so far and wide, mostly to collectors, which makes finding them in typical store stock fairly difficult.

Wizard sold off the remainder of their stock in 2007; this was where previously impossible books in ultra high grade, like Gen 13 1/2, came from.

Some of the more difficult variants:

Maxx 1/2 Gold, and of course the Red and Blue

X-O Manowar 1/2 Gold

Star Wars Boba Fett 1/2 Gold

Ripclaw 1/2 Gold and Dragoncon Gold

Tomb Raider 1/2 Red Foil (one to add to your list):

s-l1600.jpg

Is that yours or a stock photo?

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 1:36 PM, Wolverinex said:

I finally found this newsstand in the wild. Spawn 9 for a quarter The only issue is there is a big stain along the left side of the comic. I've been searching for this for the last few years and this is the first time I found it. What should I do? Keep it, sell it, or just junk it15791996844178015941922499038580.thumb.jpg.3055f459c87480215def71de78547a0b.jpg

List it as a potential 9.8 if it got a press and a cleaning? That's what half the people on facebook claim for low grade stuff that is worth $2.

Deadworld is an awesome series. Not nearly as good as Walking Dead, but solid for its era, and Vince Locke was a pretty good artist. Wish he'd done more mainstream stuff. This was a super hot book in the very early 90s. I cannot resist buying copies when they're in the dollar bin.

1203083796_realm4.thumb.jpg.6e073f08626b83c5f7734d0e17014ad8.jpg

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Was this a find somewhere if it was it deserves a story.

Not really that cool. I just happen to come across the seller online. I never thought I'd even come across these let alone have the chance to buy either of them. I offered what i was willing to pay and apparently it ws the most reasonable offer they got. Now actually getting them was a bit of an issue. The seller didn't really collect anymore and got these from wizard when they were offered on their site. They were a little uncomfortable dealing with that amount of money online because their lcs had warned them about being scammed. They wanted me to PayPal the money friends and family. Which i wasn't ok with. Long story long, i got the blue first and after that transaction went ok, i got the red ... goods and services. But very happy to have both in my collection. Now im just waiting for Sam to come out of hiding to get these signed and graded. Unfortunately i missed the torpedo comics signing. 

7 minutes ago, TfromSanD said:

Not really that cool. I just happen to come across the seller online. I never thought I'd even come across these let alone have the chance to buy either of them. I offered what i was willing to pay and apparently it ws the most reasonable offer they got. Now actually getting them was a bit of an issue. The seller didn't really collect anymore and got these from wizard when they were offered on their site. They were a little uncomfortable dealing with that amount of money online because their lcs had warned them about being scammed. They wanted me to PayPal the money friends and family. Which i wasn't ok with. Long story long, i got the blue first and after that transaction went ok, i got the red ... goods and services. But very happy to have both in my collection. Now im just waiting for Sam to come out of hiding to get these signed and graded. Unfortunately i missed the torpedo comics signing. 

I don't know much about these.  Are they a special variant?

3 hours ago, TfromSanD said:

Fufat said he's not collecting anymore?

And can I ask how much you paid?