• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,478 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Cankor! Nice piece. That really is tough to find in the wild, and that cover is pretty unforgiving about showing wear.

Yeah, not from the wild, purchased directly from Matthew Allison many, many years ago. Just rediscovered it in a box. (thought I had sold it)
You are correct, the back cover has a tear...presumably from the thick paper / printing process.

2 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I don't even know what I am looking at...is it still being published?

First published appearance of Cankor by creator Matthew Allison released in 2011.
Yes, he is still producing stories in the Cankor universe.
A new graphic novel was released by AdHouse in June.
Unfortunately, each of the self-published series (including this one) are out of print at the moment.
Thus driving the prices higher.

2 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I don't even know what I am looking at...is it still being published?

So, that's the first Cankor book, by Matthew Allison. It is issue #127, but there are no issues #1-126 (or any #128+ for that matter). He continued with a four (I think it's four...) issue miniseries called Cankor: Calamity of Challenge, which has normal issue numbering. They're easier to find than the first book, but still had tiny print runs. There's also a GN compilation.

These days, Allison is with Image, where he's done a couple of alt covers. I know he hopes for an Image-published Cankor book to happen eventually. If it ever does, the early stuff will become double impossible to find.

Cankor is great! I got lucky and a Half Price Books had several copies of the first 2 issues of the original series...in the clearance bin. I never heard of it but I bought them all at 50 cents each. I've since sold them for around $100 a pop. I also have several of Cankor's Calamity of Challenge #1 (regular cover) and picked up several copies of an insane mini comic Matthew Allison did called Sweet Sepulcher! Great comics and very rare apparently.

3 minutes ago, topcat54 said:

Found 4 of these at a yard sale. I thought they were supposed to have some sort of serial # but these don't. Any thoughts as to why not?

As far as I know, the serial number on the X-Men 54 Prismatic cover is only on the CoA that originally shipped with the book.

Looking for any information or direction on this one. It has no barcode, so it was probably printed for an expo, con or other event. Thanks for any help. EDIT: Adding Gilbert Hernandez, Darwyn Cooke and Twilight Children Variant for search indexing.

IMG_20210104_125339127_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210104_130249807.jpg

Edited by Bill Robinson

2 hours ago, Bill Robinson said:

Looking for any information or direction on this one. It has no barcode, so it was probably printed for an expo, con or other event. Thanks for any help. EDIT: Adding Gilbert Hernandez, Darwyn Cooke and Twilight Children Variant for search indexing.

IMG_20210104_125339127_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210104_130249807.jpg

No clue where it came from but it recently sold for $200+

Twilight Children 1 Darwyn Cooke Variant Extremely Rare Only One On Market | eBay

6 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

No clue where it came from but it recently sold for $200+

Twilight Children 1 Darwyn Cooke Variant Extremely Rare Only One On Market | eBay

I was the buyer. I didn't pay $200. I would have gone to $200 if necessary, but didn't have to. The seller came to their senses.

38 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Ah...ignore all that then.

And $175. Gotcha, 

That would be telling . . . the previous sale of another copy was between comic shops for $60. So, somewhere between $60 and $199. Still in all, I really want to know what it was printed for and how many were made.

These were $1 estate sale buys.. never found them before in my illustrious comic hunting career .. particularly the GI Joe 155 which I’ve been after for say 15 years. A few years ago a guy I know pulled one from a dollar long box right before I was going to look through it at a small local show

0D27E0E8-72E3-476A-BD2A-CC151CD1A30D.thumb.jpeg.0bb921a110c969d45bb69d6a3f0f36eb.jpeg

A8DDB7A7-4C33-4AD0-91F5-7F60D54DC476.thumb.jpeg.481b3ff0141bd1ac3dcbe72a5cad0fa1.jpeg

10 hours ago, littledoom said:

These were $1 estate sale buys.. never found them before in my illustrious comic hunting career .. particularly the GI Joe 155 which I’ve been after for say 15 years. A few years ago a guy I know pulled one from a dollar long box right before I was going to look through it at a small local show

0D27E0E8-72E3-476A-BD2A-CC151CD1A30D.thumb.jpeg.0bb921a110c969d45bb69d6a3f0f36eb.jpeg

A8DDB7A7-4C33-4AD0-91F5-7F60D54DC476.thumb.jpeg.481b3ff0141bd1ac3dcbe72a5cad0fa1.jpeg

Kudos on the Joe 155.

I've not run across one for a non show price.

Patrick