• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,478 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

My basic advice is if you don't have a plan for the book don't pick it up. What I mean by that is this.
This hobby has made my life richer in ways that wealth will never touch. 

I collect for fun and profit to support my fun. I was a solid collector/reader for almost 20 years before
I ever sold or traded a book. 

The hobby has changed the last few years. The collector base joining doesn't read books anymore. They
collect covers, variants, and art. Nothing wrong with any of that, but understand what you are getting into.

Have a plan for the books you buy, just don't pick it up because a thread says
it hard to get.  Do your homework. This goes for a lot of people here, experience can be painful otherwise.
Just my 2c

I was just going to put them in my box and and admire them occ .  I was going to start looking for other image 1 newsprints since I do not have anything else to collect right now. lol.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

My basic advice is if you don't have a plan for the book don't pick it up. What I mean by that is this.
This hobby has made my life richer in ways that wealth will never touch. 

I collect for fun and profit to support my fun. I was a solid collector/reader for almost 20 years before
I ever sold or traded a book. 

The hobby has changed the last few years. The collector base joining doesn't read books anymore. They
collect covers, variants, and art. Nothing wrong with any of that, but understand what you are getting into.

Have a plan for the books you buy, just don't pick it up because a thread says
it hard to get.  Do your homework. This goes for a lot of people here, experience can be painful otherwise.
Just my 2c

Very good advice....and quite astute too----the collector base has changed quite a bit.  I kind of do all aspects....I look for decently priced keys, buy moderns that have terrific covers and that I think will appreciate over time IE Frank Cho Harley Quinn covers and I simply love digging in dollar bins for mini gems. The advice of educating yourself is priceless for this aspect too...without that knowledge, how can you dig through the junk bins and pull out gems if you don't know what things are actually worth. 

Just today, digging at one of my "spots" I pulled 2 copies Wolverine Origins #10A, Catwoman 57 & 58 (NM+!) and a New Avengers #10 1st Thane...all of these for a whopping $5.00.....

The advice is solid.....do your research and know WHY you are buying a book.....

Good luck and welcome to this terrifically frustrating and frustratingly rewarding hobby!

Thanks for the advice.

I am off today, so I headed off to the local flea market.   After visiting a few stalls, I found a few more newsprints.  Does anyone have a full list of Image #1?   I bought a few duplicates for trading.

20170721_125604.jpg

Edited by Wolverinex

On 7/9/2017 at 2:34 PM, fastballspecial said:

Ive been to 15+ stores, multiple flea markets and antique stores and a convention or two. I have found at least one of every Image book except Dragon and Wildstar.(Ive seen a Wildstar online in a huge lot.). I cant even begin to tell the piles and piles 90s Drek I have looked thru for one.

The Dragons are out there I have found issues 2,3 and 4 just not 1 yet. Its a fun chase I will find one eventually.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wildstar-Sky-Zero-1-A-VG-1993-Image-Newsstand-Comic-Book-/142437156815?epid=85485517&hash=item2129ea87cf:g:jHQAAOSwFqNZXycR

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Thanks for the advice.

I am off today, so I headed off to the local flea market.   After visiting a few stalls, I found a few more newsprints.  Does anyone have a full list of Image #1?   I bought a few duplicates for trading.

20170721_125604.jpg

Those are newsprint copies?!? That WOULD be rare. 

Seriously, NewsSTANDS and great finds on your first search (as long as they were $1 or NM+ if not)!

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

16 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Those are newsprint copies?!? That WOULD be rare. 

Seriously, NewsSTANDS and great finds on your first search (as long as they were $1 or NM+ if not)!

Thanks!  Part of the joy is just searching for it.  I figure these aren't rare but I just enjoy the hunt....  I picked up duplicates to trade if I can't find others in the future...

Haha, thanks for the correction.  yes, they are all newstands and out of the dollar bin... only the wildcats 1 is G condition (the top spine is split for about 1 inch) .. the rest are VF+ to NM+  (all the Pitt 1s, Wildstar, Darker Image and Brigrades were NM+). 

Edited by Wolverinex

10 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Now wait a minute I did just post a blue hologram last page. Where is your stuff?

I know I know, been slackin, havent picked a good modern batch in a while. Been getting alot of silver/bronze s**t lately. Not that im complaining

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Now wait a minute I did just post a blue hologram last page. Where is your stuff?

And I just posted a NM X-men pressman... With some image newsstands :roflmao:

Ok, here is a book that seems to be scarce. I have been trying to complete my set of Image Turtle books for some time now. I have an alert set and have seen nearly every issue that has been posted to ebay for the past year. In that time, I have only seen 3 newsstand copies of issue 2 and 1 badly beaten up newsstand copy of issue 3. That's it. No other issues. The entire series is relatively tough to find but issue 1 seems to be the most common. Of the 100+ copies of issue 1 that I have seen, not one has been a newsstand. If anyone has seen newsstands of other issues, let me know. Thanks.

20170723_225026.png

Edited by Davidone

I make a point to look for the Image Turtles books in general, and I have never seen a single one with a newsstand barcode. Hell, I hardly run across any of these books in the wild at all.

And I hate to go there again, but I will... found another Spawn #1 newsstand for $6 today, along with a #2 ns in the dollar box. I was surprised to find the #1 for that price, especially since it's kind of become a well known hot book recently, and this store seemed to be on top of the spec and hot books.

On 5/26/2017 at 7:18 PM, Bird said:

At work today I planned on goofing off so I brought in the laptop and logged every book on the first 36 pages of this thread. Going to a local show this weekend so I wanted to be ready to box dive. Then I failed to email myself the excel file before leaving and going home. 1 hour commute, so I will have to go it on my own this weekend! 

I am also getting some longboxes of drek ready to try and sell/trade at the show and am looking for anything from this thread. Ghost Rider 83 fooled me, needing glasses at my advanced age. I have a sweet Darkhawk 50 though so I pulled that out for ebay.

Found a few Robotech Macross comics today... is there anything rare about these?

On 7/19/2017 at 5:50 PM, fastballspecial said:

Interesting find today. Not in perfect shape, but considering the rarity all take it.

hcFCgTBl.jpg

New to all of this so totally unfamiliar with what makes a book rare.  Is there something special about the Wolverine issue that makes it stand out?  (ie Newstand edition or some such).  I have all the hologram covers from the Fatal Attractions story and just figured they weren't worth more than the cover price these days, but would love to know if i'm mistaken.

O

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, fastballspecial said:

Interesting find today. Not in perfect shape, but considering the rarity all take it.

hcFCgTBl.jpg

New to all of this so totally unfamiliar with what makes a book rare.  Is there something special about the Wolverine issue that makes it stand out?  (ie Newstand edition or some such).  I have all the hologram covers from the Fatal Attractions story and just figured they weren't worth more than the cover price these days, but would love to know if i'm mistaken.

So far from my experience there are a very very small potion of the print run for the X-Men holograms have a either slight or total blue hue rather then the green or bronze hologram. My copy above is about a 85-90% or so blue hologram. I had an X-force copy last year that was complete 100% blue. Other then that I have only found 2 of them in several years of looking. Its just a fun challenge. It just an odd variant of the holograms you just only see once in awhile and collectors are chasing getting an entire set.