• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, ygogolak said:
16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I know I sold a bunch last year for nothing to Mysterio. 

And he just sold a bunch of his doubles, ha.

Sure did. I am always keeping an eye out for DCU variants and upgrading when I can. Most aren't worth all that much. The WW #90 is hot because of Artemis, and it is one of the few real keys that has a DCU variant (plus none of the WW books are super common to begin with). Cartoon books like Pinky and the Brain are also uncommon, though you can buy sealed two packs fairly cheaply (or at least they used to be). Most DCUs will sell between $2-5 apiece or so, which isn't bad for books you'll find in most dollar boxes. The better ones can command more, especially if you find the right customer.

Found these 3 today. I haven't seen a copy of any of the 3, but I knew the Deathblow existed. The other2 I now know exists all pretty nice copies too. I almost passed on the DB 1 because it looks nothing like the black cover and the Union 1 is the same as the Supreme 1 without the gold embossed. Very pleased I had to look thru 5 boxes of Image stuff, but they were there. :banana:

nzK3dFBm.jpgaWuNyZ9m.jpg4jWqneQm.jpg

Edited by fastballspecial

4 hours ago, mysterio said:

Sure did. I am always keeping an eye out for DCU variants and upgrading when I can. Most aren't worth all that much. The WW #90 is hot because of Artemis, and it is one of the few real keys that has a DCU variant (plus none of the WW books are super common to begin with). Cartoon books like Pinky and the Brain are also uncommon, though you can buy sealed two packs fairly cheaply (or at least they used to be). Most DCUs will sell between $2-5 apiece or so, which isn't bad for books you'll find in most dollar boxes. The better ones can command more, especially if you find the right customer.

I just buy em cause the DCU logo looks boss on books.

Its the Frazetta sig of UPC boxes

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by Aweandlorder

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Found these 3 today. I haven't seen a copy of any of the 3, but I knew the Deathblow existed. The other2 I now know exists all pretty nice copies too. I almost passed on the DB 1 because it looks nothing like the black cover and the Union 1 is the same as the Supreme 1 without the gold embossed. Very pleased I had to look thru 5 boxes of Image stuff, but they were there. :banana:

nzK3dFBm.jpgaWuNyZ9m.jpg4jWqneQm.jpg

I hated the newsstand editions when they were coming out and I never realized that there would ever be anyone who wanted this stuff because they were flat and boring compared to the direct sales editions. And, honestly, buying a lot of my comics from the local newsstand spinner rack, I saw these only occasionally. I looked for Spawn 1 and Youngblood 1 on the newsstand, but didn't see them. I did see the WildCATS 2 and thought they looked terrible and very cheap. I do remember the Supreme, which was probably the worst of the bunch.

No one ever mentions how rare the VALIANT newsstands are. I remember those, too, very briefly, when VALIANT was expanding its line (far too quickly and without the quality of the earlier VALIANT comics, I have to say).

I wrote an article about that in Overstreet many years ago because Valiant didn't have any newsstand at the time. Later they did and those newsstands I can never find in better then Fine. I never find a NM copy. Best copy I have ever found was NM-.

There is a small group that collections them and they are constantly looking for higher grade and the tougher copies to find.

The other day when buying all those comics I came across one Turok newsstand, but it was in such terrible shape I left it. Next time I go there, I may look in his Valiant boxes. If the hurricane isn't here on Saturday, I may also go to another dealer who has cheap Valiant and take a peek at what he has. I'm putting together a stockpile for the future and hopefully there will be some better activity for all this.

41 minutes ago, KOLMARAVENUE said:

scan0001.thumb.jpg.00f3ef4ff8633ee4b15710e0b1cef258.jpg

I love this comic, have a few with one still in the original bag from the package. Even though it's plentiful, I still pick up the regular version of this cover (467) when I find them for a buck or two and have a couple newsstand editions of it. One of Bachalo's better covers, IMO.

Edited by BishopT

9 hours ago, BishopT said:

I love this comic, have a few with one still in the original bag from the package. Even though it's plentiful, I still pick up the regular version of this cover (467) when I find them for a buck or two and have a couple newsstand editions of it. One of Bachalo's better covers, IMO.

Is that the copy that was packaged with the Psylocke action figure?

10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I have never found a Turok newsstand for some reason. Found a lot of every other title, but no Turoks I had to go
to look them up because I didn't think there were any.

The one I remember best is the Shadowman 0 issue, which I found on the newsstand. There were others, but I was already getting everything VALIANT produced at my LCS, so I didn't pay much attention to those on the newsstands. Plus, they were always very badly bent from the spinner rack.