• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

Hector, 

Is the tpb of this series*blood and thunder* a hard find as well? (Malibu) 

Absolutely. Being a longtime TPB collector and seller, I have only ever had one copy in the thousands of trades and hardcovers that I've bought over the years. It's the one with the solid black cover. I had a copy and there wasn't another on eBay for about three years before I finally put mine up and sold it. I think I got right at $100 for it and it was mid-grade condition. I have to say that, along with the Captain America Truth: Red, White and Black trade paperback (not the later hardcover), the Ralph Snart Collection hardcover (with the sketch) and Lost in Space: Journey to the Bottom of the Soul, the Mortal Kombat: Blood & Thunder TPB is one of the rarest collected editions ever published. And, as a longtime TPB collector and having watched for these for about 10 years, the rarity of these makes me think that there was only a few hundred of these printed.

Nothing special about Malibu but some of the series they did carry some nostalgia and do well as a result

again not everything and not great money (with some exceptions)

youll find plenty of the ferret or ultra verse but other stuff is hard to find or collected (hologram covers as an example) 

Keep in mind some stuff exists regionally better than other places. I find a lot of stuff here in the area Indy wise that most folks in the south or west have a tougher time. How much you run across something isn’t exactly the formula for determining rarity and print run 

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 hour ago, Michael Browning said:

Absolutely. Being a longtime TPB collector and seller, I have only ever had one copy in the thousands of trades and hardcovers that I've bought over the years. It's the one with the solid black cover. I had a copy and there wasn't another on eBay for about three years before I finally put mine up and sold it. I think I got right at $100 for it and it was mid-grade condition. I have to say that, along with the Captain America Truth: Red, White and Black trade paperback (not the later hardcover), the Ralph Snart Collection hardcover (with the sketch) and Lost in Space: Journey to the Bottom of the Soul, the Mortal Kombat: Blood & Thunder TPB is one of the rarest collected editions ever published. And, as a longtime TPB collector and having watched for these for about 10 years, the rarity of these makes me think that there was only a few hundred of these printed.

:whatthe: Thank you for the insight Michael! So informative, I love the boards.:headbang:

8 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

:whatthe: Thank you for the insight Michael! So informative, I love the boards.:headbang:

You're welcome! I have been involved in the comics world since I first started collecting in 1976. I used to own a really large collection of Golden Age comics and a huge collection of Silver Age and me finding hard-to-find and nearly-impossible-to-find books caused Overstreet to pick me up as an advisor, which I did for 15 years. I have always had the God-given talent of finding comics that weren't supposed to exist or that was thought to be so rare, only a handful of copies existed. I sold off all that stuff long ago and now I focus on collecting and selling trade paperbacks and hardcovers, some of which are very scarce, too.

As a side note and in reference to a couple of earlier messages: My experience in the comics collecting world, having been a collector and seller, has made me very aware of what to tell a shop owner and what not to tell. But, to the same extent, my local shop owners know that when I buy something, it's either on its way up or is a hidden gem in their stores. So, most of the shop owners I buy from make mental notes on what I buy and then they go in and look up the sales on eBay and see what is special about those issues and then reprice accordingly. It's one of the pitfalls of having been around for so long and for having been so successful at finding hot books and reselling them at the right time.

I find some stuff constantly cheap for $1 or less. I think most dealers, especially small ones that do it part time, either don't know or don't care.  I just picked up a Shadowhawk #1 newsstand. I've seen people post them here but never came across it before yesterday. Got it for $2 I think, but may have gotten my sub discount with it. 

Wow, VF and they sold this high. Though quoting the census is a bit bous as CGC has only started recognizing Image NS for the past year or so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-copies-of-SPAWN-10-NEWSSTAND-UPC-VARIANT-1-38-CGC-Census-Rarity-2-5-/132316298375?hash=item1eceaa7c87:g:h5kAAOSwILFZq2kQ

Edited by Philflound

3 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Wow, VF and they sold this high. Though quoting the census is a bit bous as CGC has only started recognizing Image NS for the past year or so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-copies-of-SPAWN-10-NEWSSTAND-UPC-VARIANT-1-38-CGC-Census-Rarity-2-5-/132316298375?hash=item1eceaa7c87:g:h5kAAOSwILFZq2kQ

The seller is notorious for quoting unsubstantiated ratios and CGC bs.

3 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

You're welcome! I have been involved in the comics world since I first started collecting in 1976. I used to own a really large collection of Golden Age comics and a huge collection of Silver Age and me finding hard-to-find and nearly-impossible-to-find books caused Overstreet to pick me up as an advisor, which I did for 15 years. I have always had the God-given talent of finding comics that weren't supposed to exist or that was thought to be so rare, only a handful of copies existed. I sold off all that stuff long ago and now I focus on collecting and selling trade paperbacks and hardcovers, some of which are very scarce, too.

As a side note and in reference to a couple of earlier messages: My experience in the comics collecting world, having been a collector and seller, has made me very aware of what to tell a shop owner and what not to tell. But, to the same extent, my local shop owners know that when I buy something, it's either on its way up or is a hidden gem in their stores. So, most of the shop owners I buy from make mental notes on what I buy and then they go in and look up the sales on eBay and see what is special about those issues and then reprice accordingly. It's one of the pitfalls of having been around for so long and for having been so successful at finding hot books and reselling them at the right time.

I went to the shop today, because not that long ago I had seen it there. Unfortunately it was gone, lol I passed up on that book 2x .... always trust your gut.

31 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Hmmm interesting.. was it a reprint with a toy or official 2nd print?

2 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

Hmmm interesting.. was it a reprint with a toy or official 2nd print?

It was a Toybiz reprint, Spider-Man Classics II from 2001.