• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Favorite Copper Age Cover(s)
5 5

319 posts in this topic

Turtles!

image_zpso2dbfjij.jpg

Good lord, I have been looking at these covers for decades and did not realize that it is mirrors style-wise Ronin 1 and Miller's cross hatching he did a lot of then. Even a similar background color and framing on the cover. Duh.

Edited by the blob

Rom-47.jpg

Zeck did alot of awesome covers too. The Punisher mini series, GI Joe, Capt. America...so much copper age goodness

Top Zeck covers in my opinion:

- Cap #263, 272, 284, 286, 321, 332 and Annual #8

- Punisher Limited Series #1, 3 and Return to Big Nothing Hardcover

- G.I. Joe #38, 39, 41, 43, 46, Special Missions #1, 2, and Yearbook #3

- Kraven's Last Hunt - Web #31,32 and ASM #294 especially as well as the TPB Cover

- Secret Wars #1, 8, and 10

- ASM #285 Cover

- Marvel Tales #209 and 215

- Batman Ten Knights of the Beast (#417-420)

- Deathstroke the Terminator #1 and 8

And, I'm sure others can point to others that they really like that didn't make the list. Zeck was the king of covers in the 80's!

Cap 287 I like too. The color choices help.

Cap 288 is cruddy. I think Zeck is better when he is focused on one or two dramatic figures. "Busy" covers may not suit him, but then again, I should probably look beyond 288 before I say that.

interesting thought...

ok, king of 80's covers.......

zeck?

stevens?

byrne?

perez?

simonson?

others??

my vote is stevens.

Another vote for Dave Stevens here. (thumbs u

Although I love Stevens' work, the probably with calling him the "king" is that his work wasn't very prolific, even in the 80's. The other guys you mention at least did over 100 covers each, if not a lot more. Stevens did maybe 30-50?

interesting thought...

ok, king of 80's covers.......

zeck?

stevens?

byrne?

perez?

simonson?

others??

my vote is stevens.

Another vote for Dave Stevens here. (thumbs u

Although I love Stevens' work, the probably with calling him the "king" is that his work wasn't very prolific, even in the 80's. The other guys you mention at least did over 100 covers each, if not a lot more. Stevens did maybe 30-50?

very valid argument but to me he is the modern equivalent of frazetta, not alot of work compared to others, but the work he did set him apart.

For anyone into OA, here are some of my Copper covers. Included are some of my absolute favorites; others, I wouldn't say were favorites off the stands, but am very happy to have the art. For whatever reason, I always liked the BADGER #2 cover. Anyway, all indies, no Marvel/DC.

THE ROCKETEER ADVENTURE MAGAZINE #1 cover:

sM0l4yly_2907151216451.jpg

MAGE #1 cover:

U4rdQ1tC_0107141423291.jpg

JON SABLE, FREELANCE #17 cover:

JonSable17CoverA.jpg

BADGER #2 cover:

BADGER2coverA.jpg

2000 AD MONTHLY #2 cover:

2000AD2b.jpg

AMERICAN FLAGG! #27 cover:

x5L6zJIN_2304141340371.jpg

Yesterday there were 2 ASM 136s posted in the for sale and it led a buddy and myself to talking about what we thought were the best covers by era.

We tossed around ASM 39 by Romita, Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine 2 by Romita, Hulk 340 by McFarlane , Captain America Annual 8 by Zeck etc.

Obviously there are no wrong answers but we thought it would be fun to start a thread in the Silver, Bronze and Copper threads (we aren't big Gold Age collectors)

For me, Moon Knight 29 is my favorite Copper Age cover.

xpd8i8.jpg

Great. I thought the only SS book I needed was Dark Knight Returns 1 w/Miller & janson. Now I want this. Nice looking book!