• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EsquireComics' More Fun Collection Is For SALE!!!!!!

301 posts in this topic

When I came back into the hobby in 2004, I decided that it was costing me too much to continue my collecting at the level I really desired and started EsquireComics.com for part-time dealing. I also decided to choose one specific title to collect and to accumulate the entire run. The title I chose was More Fun Comics. What led me to choose More Fun Comics was initially the classic Spectre cover of issue #54. When I researched the history of the series I was hooked!

This title, of course, was originally called "New Fun Comics" when it debuted as D.C. Comics' first comic book in 1935. After six issues, the title was changed to More Fun Comics and it ran another eleven years until issue #127 hit the stands in November 1947. The title runs the gamut from funny stories, adventure, science fiction, superheroes to animals.

"New Fun: The Big Comic Magazine" was the brainchild of Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson, the founder of D.C. Comics. Measuring 10" x 15", it was indeed big! Although the interior stories were printed in black and white, the Major included all new stories and content, unlike those of his early competitors. The first issue contained stories ranging from spies to science fiction. The sixth issue welcomed the significant debut of the dynamic duo of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who would become legends in the comic industry.

The seventh issue not only saw a title change, but also a reduction in size to the standard format. One of the early "superheros" was "Dr. Occult, the Ghost Detective," a mortal who battled the uncanny and eventually developed superhuman strength and the ability to fly. Sound familiar? Of course, Dr. Occult was the prototype for the then-unpublished Superman, a Siegel/Shuster character who was being rejected by publishers everywhere until Action #1 debuted in 1938. Some of the early issues featured cover artwork from some of the best comic book artists including Creig Flessel, Fred Guardineer and Bernard Baily.

The most significant change for More Fun Comics came with issue #52 (2/40) with the origin/1st appearance of The Spectre, an omnipotent being who fought crime through the transcended spirit of a murdered policeman. Though The Spectre only lasted five years until issue #101, the covers featuring him are some of the most sought after Golden Age books.

More Fun Comics witnessed a host of impressive firsts welcoming into existence Dr. Fate (#56), Johnny Quick (#71), Aquaman (#73) and Superboy (#101). Eight books from this title are listed in Overstreet's Top 100 Golden Age Books (though technically several are actually from the Platinum Age). Many of the early books are virtually impossible to find in high grade, and oftentimes even the low grade copies are scarce. In fact, for the entire title Overstreet lists all issues as scarce to rare in any condition. For a title that ran eleven years and encompassed a full 127 issues, that is quite impressive!

I spent the last dozen years increasing my collection and I fell short by just six issues. Frankly, had I the willingness to spend the necessary funds even those six issues could have been mine. The fact of the matter is that the advent of the Internet made finding even some of the rarest of comics significantly easier. Pretty much everything can be found for a price.

In any event, I have loved owning this series, which included many of the highest graded copies and numerous pedigrees. Alas, certain events necessitate that I sell most of the collection. Some of the issues, such as New Fun 1-6 and More Fun 7-9, I am keeping because they were just too difficult to find and they are too historically awesome!!!!

A More Fun collector is a specific type of collector. Those of you who are know what I am talking about. I hope that these books can find a good home. So, now here is your chance!

Shipping Costs/Method: For books over $250.00 domestic shipping via USPS Priority Mail is FREE. If you want another method to be used, actual shipping costs will be charged. International is actual cost to be assessed but $30.00 upfront (any excess will be refunded). Over $3,000.00 is free for international buyers. Multiple orders can be combined. Insurance and delivery confirmation is included. Other shipping methods available upon request.

Payment Methods: Personal checks, postal money orders, bank cashier checks, wire transfers, and paypal. All checks and money orders should be made payable to EsquireComics. Paypal account is EsquireComics@aol.com.

My Return Policy: I certainly believe you will be happy with your purchase. For raw books, I do my best to objectively grade every book and provide you with detailed descriptions. I have been collecting comics for over 40 years and I have served as an Advisor to the Overstreet Comic Book & Pricing Guides for a decade.

However, your personal satisfaction is very important to me. If for any reason you wish to return your purchase, you may do so. However, you must notify me in writing within three (3) calendar days of receiving the book that you desire to return it, and you must ship it back to me within seven (7) calendar days. All associated costs for returning the book must be borne by the purchaser. And, of course, the book must be returned in the same condition it was received.

This return policy applies to CGC books as well.

Payment Plans: Payment plans can be negotiated so long as full payment will be received within 3 months. A non-refundable 1/3 deposit minimum will be required.

Counter-Offers: Don't hesitate to make a counter-offer via PM, especially for multiple books. But first :takeit: for each book always takes it. I will follow-up via PM.

Please note that any book not sold after three days may be placed in other venues. and the listed price is no longer valid. Please inquire as to availability and price

Please let me know if you have any questions.

More Fun Comics #52 CGC 5.5

Rockford/Cage copy

The first appearance and origin of the Spectre, a classic Golden Age character who continues to mete out justice in the DC universe to this day. This issue also contains the last Wing Brady story. It's currently tied for #15 on Overstreet's Top 100 Golden Age Comics list. Spectre's debut story was written by the Jerry Siegel (Superman's co-creator), and drawn by Bernard Baily. The sharp front cover in particular makes this one of the best copies you'll ever see of one of the essential Golden Age DCs.

I honestly don't know why this is graded only as a 5.5. Probably one of the best looking 5.5s I have ever seen!

Disclosure: this copy was previously a CGC 6.5 restored book. Some glue was removed.

$60,000.00

MoreFun52_zps941tosbd.jpg