• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EsquireComics' More Fun Collection Is For SALE!!!!!!

301 posts in this topic

More Fun Comics #16 (DC, 1936) CGC 3.5

This issue has the last of the three stories in which Dr. Occult wore red and blue and wielded super-powers -- an obvious "Superman tryout" for Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who hadn't yet unveiled the Man of Steel (while Dr. Occult continued to appear in the series, this was the end of his "super" phase). Siegel and Shuster also contributed the Calling All Cars feature (later called Radio Squad), and a host of other adventure and humor strips rounded out the issue.

The Christmas cover, which is ALWAYS sought after, was drawn by Vin Sullivan.

The issue is a Gerber "7." Reuben Blades copy.

Heritage has only auctioned three copies of this issue in 15 years, and none since 2005!!!! Only seven copies have been graded.

There must be something internal to the book to bring this issue down to a 3.5 because this is one of the best 3.5s I have ever seen.

$1,500.00

20160530_204316_resized_zpsjr3ah7c1.jpg

20160530_204328_resized_zpskpismpwb.jpg

More Fun Comics #17 (DC, 1937) CGC 4.0 off-white pages.

This is the second highest graded copy with the top only at 6.5. Heritage has only auctioned off three copies (one of which was restored) in 15 years and it took them seven years in between actually obtaining a copy for sale! Not one copy has been available for six years.

When the New Year's cover is ringing in 1937 you know you've got an early comic book! This issue of DC's first series precedes the likes of Detective #1. Vin Sullivan cover art.

Good luck finding a copy, especially one that looks this good!

$1,900.00

20160530_204443_resized_zps99l2xjpi.jpg

20160530_204449_resized_zpsguor63fn.jpg

As you wish!!

More Fun Comics #73 (DC, 1941) CGC 5.0 Off-white to white pages.

Featuring the first appearance of not one, but two major superheroes from the Golden Age! Aquaman and Green Arrow (oh, and Speedy!) crash the scene in this issue, creating a very desirable comic in the process. Of the many key More Fun issues, #73 is one of the most popular among collectors.

Probably the hottest book in the series in the last two years.

$65,000.00

20160508_140419_resized_zpsxbkacga4.jpg

20160508_140426_resized_zpsohgyk798.jpg

20160508_140435_resized_zps05ylzpni.jpg

More Fun Comics #22 (DC, 1937) CGC 8.0 restored (moderate)

Dr. Occult story. Vince Sullivan story, cover, and art. Joe Shuster and Creig Flessel art. This issue is a Gerber "8" or "rare".

This is the highest graded copy, albeit restored. The highest unrestored copy is only at a 6.0 and there are only five on the list (with two of them at 1.5 and 1.0!!!). Of course, this is the incredible Church pedigree copy which is why I bought a restored book as well as an unrestored copy.

Heritage has auctioned only three copies in 15 years!

$2,000.00

20160530_213845_resized_zpsso4066uy.jpg

20160530_213851_resized_zpsqzmpvz8a.jpg

20160530_213859_resized_zpsh2vualnd.jpg

More Fun Comics #24 (DC, 1937) CGC VG+ 4.5 Light tan to off-white pages.

Just three unrestored copies have been graded higher -- all pedigrees - the Billy Wright, Lost Valley and the Mile High copies! Vincent Sullivan cover. Dr. Occult story by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. A Gerber "scarce."

$700.00

20160530_220907_resized_zpsowgv8x0p.jpg

20160530_220911_resized_zpsd35pbe8c.jpg

Looks like a piece missing from the left side of the fc. Graders seem to NOT be lenient all at on that. But nonetheless a BEAUTY!! :headbang:

And agreed that a better 3.5 of almost ANY book won't present as nicely!!

Thanks for this thread BTW. I'm watching and waiting. Like Bohdi said... "I'm just waiting on my set."

This issue has the last of the three stories in which Dr. Occult wore red and blue and wielded super-powers -- an obvious "Superman tryout" for Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who hadn't yet unveiled the Man of Steel (while Dr. Occult continued to appear in the series, this was the end of his "super" phase). Siegel and Shuster also contributed the Calling All Cars feature (later called Radio Squad), and a host of other adventure and humor strips rounded out the issue.

Heritage has only auctioned three copies of this issue in 15 years, and none since 2005!!!! Only seven copies have been graded.

There must be something internal to the book to bring this issue down to a 3.5 because this is one of the best 3.5s I have ever seen.

$1,500.00

The late issues are the toughest. A dozen of the last 20 issues have only 1-3 slabbed copies.

Some of those last 20 are really hard to find, and you're right that there are very few slabbed. But to some extent I blame on that horrible stories and drawings so that (1) no one saved them and (2) the dollar value isn't often worth slabbing them.

But I still love them. :luhv:

The late issues are the toughest. A dozen of the last 20 issues have only 1-3 slabbed copies.

Some of those last 20 are really hard to find, and you're right that there are very few slabbed. But to some extent I blame on that horrible stories and drawings so that (1) no one saved them and (2) the dollar value isn't often worth slabbing them.

But I still love them. :luhv:

Yep, it's all about demand. There are far more slabbed copies of 52, 53, and 101 than the rest of the series.

More Fun Comics #17 (DC, 1937) CGC 4.0 off-white pages.

This is the second highest graded copy with the top only at 6.5. Heritage has only auctioned off three copies (one of which was restored) in 15 years and it took them seven years in between actually obtaining a copy for sale! Not one copy has been available for six years.

When the New Year's cover is ringing in 1937 you know you've got an early comic book! This issue of DC's first series precedes the likes of Detective #1. Vin Sullivan cover art.

Good luck finding a copy, especially one that looks this good!

$1,675.00

20160530_204443_resized_zps99l2xjpi.jpg

20160530_204449_resized_zpsguor63fn.jpg

I believe this is also a "Superman tryout issue" (the last of a four issue run), which is why it Guides for almost 3X the next issue.

Looks like a piece missing from the left side of the fc. Graders seem to NOT be lenient all at on that. But nonetheless a BEAUTY!! :headbang:

And agreed that a better 3.5 of almost ANY book won't present as nicely!!

Thanks for this thread BTW. I'm watching and waiting. Like Bohdi said... "I'm just waiting on my set."

$1,500.00

I took a look and I can't honestly tell if it is a white spot on the cover or the blue flecked of from the cover. (shrug)

More Fun Comics #26 (DC, 1937) CGC VG+ 4.5 Cream to off-white pages.

Features Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's Dr. Occult. Creig Flessel art.

Heritage has sold only four copies of this issue. And only four copies have EVER been certified making this one of the more difficult issues to find!

$710.00

20160531_211838_resized_zpslmbiqkrv.jpg

20160531_211841_resized_zpshhjzndfr.jpg