• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EsquireComics' More Fun Collection Is For SALE!!!!!!

301 posts in this topic

More Fun Comics #34 (DC, 1938) CGC VF 8.0 Cream to off-white pages.

Zoiks! This never happened to Johnny Appleseed! Cover artist Vin Sullivan has quite a flair for comedy -- check out the pooch in the corner who's just as scared as his fruit-filching buddy. The interior of this issue boasts the work of some big-name artists: Joe Shuster (teamed as ever with writer Jerry Siegel), Bernard Baily, and even Bob Kane, who drew a couple of gag features.

Heritage has only offered five copies of this issue, which like many of the ones from the 30s are incredibly difficult to find. There are only seven copies in the CGC census and this is tied for the second highest graded, with the highest being the Church copy at 9.4.

$1,700.00

20160531_211906_resized_zpszy2s1goc.jpg

20160531_211912_resized_zpsvefivkpg.jpg

Looks like a piece missing from the left side of the fc. Graders seem to NOT be lenient all at on that. But nonetheless a BEAUTY!! :headbang:

And agreed that a better 3.5 of almost ANY book won't present as nicely!!

Thanks for this thread BTW. I'm watching and waiting. Like Bohdi said... "I'm just waiting on my set."

More Fun Comics #16 (DC, 1936) CGC 3.5

This issue has the last of the three stories in which Dr. Occult wore red and blue and wielded super-powers -- an obvious "Superman tryout" for Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who hadn't yet unveiled the Man of Steel (while Dr. Occult continued to appear in the series, this was the end of his "super" phase). Siegel and Shuster also contributed the Calling All Cars feature (later called Radio Squad), and a host of other adventure and humor strips rounded out the issue.

The Christmas cover, which is ALWAYS sought after, was drawn by Vin Sullivan.

The issue is a Gerber "7." Reuben Blades copy.

Heritage has only auctioned three copies of this issue in 15 years, and none since 2005!!!! Only seven copies have been graded.

There must be something internal to the book to bring this issue down to a 3.5 because this is one of the best 3.5s I have ever seen.

$1,500.00

20160530_204316_resized_zpsjr3ah7c1.jpg

20160530_204328_resized_zpskpismpwb.jpg

I took a look and I can't honestly tell if it is a white spot on the cover or the blue flecked of from the cover. (shrug)

I believe he was referring to the piece out at mid spine, not at the top. Nicely camouflaged, it blends in with the artwork!

More Fun Comics #12 (DC, 1936) CGC 5.0 Off-white pages.

This issue is one of the first 100 comic books ever published. Vin Sullivan, Joe Shuster, Leo O'Mealia, and Creig Flessel are among the artists. Two copies grade higher and only four copies have been graded by CGC in 15 years! Heritage has sold only ONE copy.

$1,100.00

MF12_zpsbqwgtdro.jpg

:takeit:

"I believe he was referring to the piece out at mid spine, not at the top. Nicely camouflaged, it blends in with the artwork!"

I was. And indeed it does blend in so very nicely, best "piece missing" I've ever seen (thumbs u , so actually a great way to get into a LG that presents as MG/HG

BTW - I consider this to be the most grisly of all MF covers. A bear trap? And it's Santa for pete's sake. This kid is naughty list fo life bruh!

Looks like a piece missing from the left side of the fc. Graders seem to NOT be lenient all at on that. But nonetheless a BEAUTY!! :headbang:

And agreed that a better 3.5 of almost ANY book won't present as nicely!!

Thanks for this thread BTW. I'm watching and waiting. Like Bohdi said... "I'm just waiting on my set."

More Fun Comics #16 (DC, 1936) CGC 3.5

This issue has the last of the three stories in which Dr. Occult wore red and blue and wielded super-powers -- an obvious "Superman tryout" for Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, who hadn't yet unveiled the Man of Steel (while Dr. Occult continued to appear in the series, this was the end of his "super" phase). Siegel and Shuster also contributed the Calling All Cars feature (later called Radio Squad), and a host of other adventure and humor strips rounded out the issue.

The Christmas cover, which is ALWAYS sought after, was drawn by Vin Sullivan.

The issue is a Gerber "7." Reuben Blades copy.

Heritage has only auctioned three copies of this issue in 15 years, and none since 2005!!!! Only seven copies have been graded.

There must be something internal to the book to bring this issue down to a 3.5 because this is one of the best 3.5s I have ever seen.

$1,500.00

20160530_204316_resized_zpsjr3ah7c1.jpg

20160530_204328_resized_zpskpismpwb.jpg

I took a look and I can't honestly tell if it is a white spot on the cover or the blue flecked of from the cover. (shrug)

I believe he was referring to the piece out at mid spine, not at the top. Nicely camouflaged, it blends in with the artwork!

lol, I hadn't even seen that! lol

This issue is one of the first 100 comic books ever published. Vin Sullivan, Joe Shuster, Leo O'Mealia, and Creig Flessel are among the artists. Two copies grade higher and only four copies have been graded by CGC in 15 years! Heritage has sold only ONE copy.

$1,100.00

MF12_zpsbqwgtdro.jpg

(thumbs u

"lol, I hadn't even seen that! lol "

See! That's how well it blends in!! First missing piece I've ever seen that may actually ADD to the artwork!! Pretty frickin' cool! I wish this was a Spectre or Dr. Fate cover with that problem, I'd probably be jumping all over it.

I so enjoy checking this thread every day, hope you keep them coming. And again, GREAT COLLECTION :applause:

$1,100.00

MF12_zpsbqwgtdro.jpg

oh no you did-ent :o

$1,100.00

MF12_zpsbqwgtdro.jpg

He did, he did :gossip::banana:

More Fun Comics #36 (DC, 1938) CGC 6.5 Off-White pages

Shades of the Little Rascals! That young man at the microphone looks a lot like "Alfalfa" on this great Creig Flessel cover! Inside, DC Hall of Fame artists Bob Kane, Joe Shuster, and Bernard Baily contributed story art.

Only one copy has been certified higher at 9.6, which is not surprisingly the Church copy. Heritage has only offered five copies in 15 years.

From the Northern Lights Collection.

$975.00

MoreFun36_zpsiv5lfwqk.jpg

More Fun Comics #40 (DC, 1939) CGC 5.0

The More Fun issues in the 40s are some of the more difficult ones to find, and this copy is a perfect example. There are only FOUR certified copies of this book. Not even one restored copy. Heritage has only offered ONE copy in 15 years.

No wonder Overstreet says "all issues are scarce to rare," and Gerber gave issue #40 a "7" rating. It is likely higher than that.

The issue's cover is by the awesome Creig Flessel (and that's all you need to know!), who could do humor scenes just as well as adventure fare! There's Flessel interior art in the issue as well, plus the Buccaneer by Bernard Baily, Radio Squad by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, and a humor feature by Bob Kane.

$750.00

MF40_zpsn37zrtrp.jpg

$1,100.00

MF12_zpsbqwgtdro.jpg

It's my old copy that I bought from Jay Parrino somewhere between 15 & 20 years ago. I always wondered who wound up with it. Now it's coming home again :)

$1,100.00

MF12_zpsbqwgtdro.jpg

It's my old copy that I bought from Jay Parrino somewhere between 15 & 20 years ago. I always wondered who wound up with it. Now it's coming home again :)

lol, that's awesome!!! This is not the first More Fun book from my collection to complete the circle of life back to a prior owner!!!

As it should be! :hi:

$1,100.00

MF12_zpsbqwgtdro.jpg

lol, that's awesome!!! This is not the first More Fun book from my collection to complete the circle of life back to a prior owner!!!

As it should be! :hi:

Indeed!! That's what made me hit the BIN as it were. I'm looking forward to watching the rest be posted :popcorn:

More Fun Comics #41 (DC, 1939) CGC 2.0

Last Masked Ranger appearance. Creig Flessel cover. Joe Shuster, Bob Kane, and Bernard Baily art.

Apparently one of the only basketball-themed Golden Age covers!

I have mentioned before that issues from the 40-49 are almost impossible to find. Heritage has offered only two copies of this book and that's not surprising since this is only one of THREE copies EVER certified.

So, no, you're not going to find one anytime soon and you might want to grab this low grade, but still nice looking, copy at a relatively affordable price. FYI, CGC notes say "2 pieces of tape on interior cover).

$450.00

20160602_212122_zps6psdlu9u.jpg

More Fun Comics #45 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1939) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to white pages.

One of just four copies that CGC has certified. Two grade higher. Great adventure cover!!!!

Given how difficult the issues in the 40s are, and since it was one of the last issues I was seeking, when this came to market I pounced on it and made sure I didn't lose so the price is higher.

$1,900.00

20160602_212151_zpsm1z7en3a.jpg

More Fun Comics #53 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC GD 2.0 Off-white to white pages.

Currently #27 on Overstreet's Top 100 Golden Age books list and a Gerber "8" or "rare", this is the second appearance of the Spectre and the first time in a story that he's in costume. Bernard Baily created one of his most famous covers for the issue (a "bondage cover").

Yes, this is a strong asking price but the fact is you're not going to find a cheaper copy unless it is complete garbage. And other than the tape stain on the left hand side of the front cover, it's still stunning looking, especially for a 2.0!!!! Don't miss out!

$5,250.00

20160602_212234_zps1gimpu1c.jpg