• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 24-27, 2017
2 2

371 posts in this topic

Might be my last Chicago show.  The buying was sub-par, as most of the small and regional dealers didnt show up...guess tbere is a limit to how much you can charge for a booth, and apparently, $1,500 is it.  I did a lot of spending, but none of it "wowed" me, and instead of wall books, it was mostly box diving.  Lots of work + minimal return + sub-par selection = Not worth the expense and hassle.  Good to see all the regulars....might have to switch my plans to C2E2 next year since everyone I spoke to raved about that show in comparison.

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sad to hear. I haven't been for about 5 years. Last one I went to was epic from a buying standpoint. If Chicago is doing bad, that is not a good thing. Looks like "comic book" conventions are on a downward slide...  :preach:

I would not use this show as a measuring stick. Lots of factors in play for this show underperforming. Lack of celebrities, high cost for dealers and attendees ($60 ticket for Saturday) hurt this show 

32 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I would not use this show as a measuring stick. Lots of factors in play for this show underperforming. Lack of celebrities, high cost for dealers and attendees ($60 ticket for Saturday) hurt this show 

All true, but why do dealers risk $1,500 for next year based on these results? I highly doubt we'll set up again, and we had a nice 2016 for sales. And this is assuming they're still solvent. With the thinner crowd their ticket sales were not good and they had to refund a bunch of Tennant money. 

Edited by mysterio

I agree 100% that attendance was down over previous years. This was particularly true on Friday. And I have about 6 years of data to draw from. That said, I felt like the comic booths were far busier than in previous years and everyone I asked about their show said that they were doing just fine.

On August 25, 2017 at 6:37 PM, Beardown said:

Heading out in the morning for two days of looking and hopefully buying.   Very excited as this is always the best "comic" show of the year IMO.

Used to be one of the best. 

Too much crapp and not enough comic book dealers now. 

1 hour ago, Timmay said:

Used to be one of the best. 

Too much crapp and not enough comic book dealers now. 

Saw booths for:

Gentlemans Club

Lasik

State Farm Insurance

TENS Units

Root Beer Soda

Cookies (and I like cookies)

Mystic crystals

while many spaces by Loading Dock 1 were empty. Dozens of booth spaces with nothing more than tape on the floor. 

25 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

$60 a ticket ?? !! doh!

Admissions Details
• All Admissions Gain Entry to Wizard World Comic Con Chicago
• Important: Bring your printed out e-admissions to the event to gain admittance.
• Up to 2 Children 10 and under get in FREE when accompanied by a paid adult
• 4-Day Weekend Admissions are: $94.95 in Advance & $105.00 On-Site
• 1-Day Thursday Admissions are: $40.00 in Advance & $50.00 On-Site
• 1-Day Friday Admissions are: $50.00 in Advance & $60.00 On-Site
• 1-Day Saturday Admissions are: $60.00 in Advance & $70.00 On-Site
• 1-Day Sunday Admissions are: $50.00 in Advance & $60.00 On-Site

Just unpacking after two days and can't wait to go back next year.  

Group of 4 of us  that went , my brother and his wife experienced there first comic con, and they were instantly hooked and buying in on some silver age books as first time collectors. 

Most all of the dealer experiences for us were positive but did have one unusually rude booth that lost out on some sales this time and in the future as well.  

Regardless we had a blast and spent until we were all broke, doing our part to support the comic vendors mostly but did check out all the booths.

Already making plans  to book a hotel and spend the weekend again next year on our drive home today.

After talking to some dealers and one person tuned into the goings-on, most comic dealers had a good or very good show. It was the non-comic dealers (t-shirts, toys, swords, etc) that had a rough con. Some of Wizard's decisions for this convention need a serious rethinking

3 hours ago, joeypost said:

Saw booths for:

Gentlemans Club

Lasik

State Farm Insurance

TENS Units

Root Beer Soda

Cookies (and I like cookies)

Mystic crystals

while many spaces by Loading Dock 1 were empty. Dozens of booth spaces with nothing more than tape on the floor. 

Don't forget the psychic...

2 hours ago, TheWatcher said:

After talking to some dealers and one person tuned into the goings-on, most comic dealers had a good or very good show. It was the non-comic dealers (t-shirts, toys, swords, etc) that had a rough con. Some of Wizard's decisions for this convention need a serious rethinking

I'm not going to be a WW apologist, but it's still a great show that I came back with my largest haul ever.  It's my favourite show of the year, and I want it to be the strongest but Is something missing/different from five years ago?  Absolutely.  I hope they can get it figured out.

Jim

Yikes!  Never thought I'd see a day when people were not blown away by Wizard World Chicago.  Use to be a weeks worth of gushing about how great a Con experience it was all the away around.  Now it sounds like pretty much every other big Con.  Sad.

This was my first time at Wizard Chicago, and I enjoyed the show quite a bit.  Spent most of my time and money between Dale Roberts and Worldwide's booths, and came away with some great books.  Didn't quite nail down some of my wantlist goals of my Avengers run, but there's always next time.  With only one exception, found that most dealers were willing to deal and field offers.  The crowd was light on Friday, seemed to pick up on Saturday but I did hear mixed reviews from some dealers as well.

Forgive the phone pics, but here are some of my favorite buys from the weekend.IMG_3650.thumb.JPG.a782d706f87fb0b88d117d4d189f5d3e.JPGIMG_3651.thumb.JPG.00c7cb869bff17ae7e87e0ac803848be.JPGIMG_3652.thumb.JPG.9bf86c3365b5cc0013041bce50aced43.JPGIMG_3653.thumb.JPG.8869ab385dd70f53e4831e343a947379.JPGIMG_3654.thumb.JPG.a38efdae48828467d3c4df1b78e58b13.JPGIMG_3655.thumb.JPG.d0b58cec6beaa4dd101ffb89d0337f5c.JPGIMG_3656.thumb.JPG.c2709a25091823bd22f070c4021add62.JPG