• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 24-27, 2017
2 2

371 posts in this topic

My first WW Chicago as well and while I didn't find any books I had on my list (high grade early issue spidey), I was able to nab a pretty sweet All Winners #15 from @gregreece.  Had a great time and it was fun meeting some of the boardies at Saturday nights dinner!  Think next year the plan is to swap out WW Chicago for C2E2.  I'm just going to follow the shows with books, books and more books.

IMG_8602.JPG

Maybe it's just me but I felt the show wasn't bad for buying books and had a solid selection. I dropped almost 5 figures at this show and I wasn't disappointed in one bit. I hear many boardies say is wasn't that great and I'm wondering how spoiled they were in years past? Almost every book I bought was under market value and the seller was willing to deal with no hassle. I don't really know what more you can ask for out of a show? I mean is 20% under market bad for a raw book? Should it be 30%+ for it to be a good show? I'm really wondering what I'm missing..

48 minutes ago, Bighaley21 said:

Maybe it's just me but I felt the show wasn't bad for buying books and had a solid selection. I dropped almost 5 figures at this show and I wasn't disappointed in one bit. I hear many boardies say is wasn't that great and I'm wondering how spoiled they were in years past? Almost every book I bought was under market value and the seller was willing to deal with no hassle. I don't really know what more you can ask for out of a show? I mean is 20% under market bad for a raw book? Should it be 30%+ for it to be a good show? I'm really wondering what I'm missing..

I can't speak for everyone, but what was really missing for me, and a number of other folks I spoke with, was the "little guy" dealers of the past, who would bring new-to-market type collections and books, often with generous pricing.  Chicago was famous for not just having one or two of these dealers, but several per show.  The feasting was abundant.  Not so anymore.  Was the variety of material still better than 90% of the conventions out there?  Yes, absolutely....but it wasn't quite what Chicago WW has been in the past.

2 hours ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

I can't speak for everyone, but what was really missing for me, and a number of other folks I spoke with, was the "little guy" dealers of the past, who would bring new-to-market type collections and books, often with generous pricing.  Chicago was famous for not just having one or two of these dealers, but several per show.  The feasting was abundant.  Not so anymore.  Was the variety of material still better than 90% of the conventions out there?  Yes, absolutely....but it wasn't quite what Chicago WW has been in the past.

This sums things up pretty well from my perspective too. It was still a good buying show, just not the tremendous buying opportunity that we got in previous editions. I'll still look forward to next year (assuming it happens).

7 hours ago, comicquant said:

My first WW Chicago as well and while I didn't find any books I had on my list (high grade early issue spidey), I was able to nab a pretty sweet All Winners #15 from @gregreece.  Had a great time and it was fun meeting some of the boardies at Saturday nights dinner!  Think next year the plan is to swap out WW Chicago for C2E2.  I'm just going to follow the shows with books, books and more books.

IMG_8602.JPG

Fantastic book! It was great getting to chat with you guys at the dinner!

5 hours ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Agreed. Having C2E2 fresh in my mind for comparison, it seemed not only were the small dealers absent but several mid-size ones as well.

Usually 5+ large setups of cheap boxes; I only saw two this year.

4 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Agreed. Having C2E2 fresh in my mind for comparison, it seemed not only were the small dealers absent but several mid-size ones as well.

Usually 5+ large setups of cheap boxes; I only saw two this year.

Did Zapp comics set up?  They always have some great discount boxes.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

Oh I know.  I spent most of my cash with him and Leroy.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but I'm liking C2E2 more and more each year. (Not that I'll ever skip WW -- unless I have to pay full price for a ticket. Had no idea it was that much $$$.)

7 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Nope. Were here in April, though.

Lange's wasn't at WW either.  I did real well with them last year, both in the wall books and bin stuff.  I think the writing is on the wall for this show if all those small to mid-size dealers start migrating to C2E2 instead.  I might have to focus my attention to Baltimore instead next year, as well as C2E2 in the Spring.  And let's not mention the lack of onsite grading by either certification company.  That's a total dis-service to all collectors/dealers.

I enjoyed it tremendously, I thought the book selection was better than last year,even though I didn't really buy that much. But that's mainly because my want list is now so limited that I'm lucky to find one single book per year among all the auctions, eBay, the boards and cons. 

But the party I was with bought plenty of books and I think there was something for everyone. Agreed not a lot of OA for sale, the only ones with vintage art I saw where Metro and Superworld comics. Metro had a cover for sale that where I was the underbidder with Heritage a few months back , but I couldn't convince myself to buy it from them, even though their markup was only $4K over what they paid for it. I just reminded me that I need to step up my game during the Heritage and Clink auctions. 

I also had a hard time understanding why there was a guy selling bathtubs or showers or whatever they were at a comic con. I wonder if he made a single sale at all. 

These days I go to cons to mainly hang out and reconnect with friends, I was lucky to spend some quality time with a lot of boardies, some I see on a yearly basis, others I see once or twice a decade and this year I was very happy to finally meet a few boardies I have known for 10-15 years and had never actually had the pleasure to meet face to face. I do believe Chicago is still the #1 show to hang out with fellow boardies and to network with other collectors. 

Oh and Greggy, I know it's our yearly tradition and my birthday present to you, but you got to stop lifting me up in the air bud, I'm not getting any lighter and you are getting on a bit, and I would hate for you to dislocate a disc or something.  

Edited by chromium