• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 24-27, 2017
2 2

371 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sad to hear. I haven't been for about 5 years. Last one I went to was epic from a buying standpoint. If Chicago is doing bad, that is not a good thing. Looks like "comic book" conventions are on a downward slide...  :preach:

"Comic book" conventions are just fine. Wizard World Chicago isn't a comic book show.

For as rocky a start as the con got off to for my daughter and me (first David Tennant, who was the main attraction for my daughter, canceling even before we left, and then her bag didn't make it to Chicago until Saturday morning from our Friday evening flight), we had a really great time.  I have to commend Wizard on the way they handled the David Tennant situation, by not only giving refunds to anyone who had purchased a David Tennant VIP, autograph or photo op, but by giving a weekend pass to any other Wizard show in 2017 (hoping that they can land David Tennant for Austin :wishluck:), and VIP holders still received their entire package other than the David Tennant autograph and photo op (there was quite a bit of Doctor Who merchandise), including a VIP admission to WW Chicago and all the perks that come with being a VIP.

Unlike most boardies, we were there mainly for the "experience," and other than celebs routinely being late to Q&A's and signings, the experience was great for us.  And while this was my first WW Chicago, based on accounts I've read and heard from prior years, I could tell the show wasn't what is used to be, which is sad since it is Wizard's #1 show.  But after having been to WW Philadelphia earlier this year, it's clear Wizard is losing touch with what it takes to put on a show that makes attendees AND exhibitors look forward to coming back the next year.

On a side note, I know virtually nothing about John Barrowman, but I have now seen his Q&A at Fan Expo Dallas and WW Chicago, and the man is insanely entertaining.  Even if you're not in to panels or Q&A's, I would highly recommend going to one for John Barrowman if you have the chance.  You won't regret it. 

It was my first WWC and enjoyed the whole event.  I enjoyed meeting most of you... @SharpComics.com your lady is so much cooler than you...however, everyone says the same about my wife so I guess it's a wash. The floor seemed empty (wider aisles and there were definitely some empty booth spaces).  I don't come for the guests or celebs so that didn't bug me on what many said was a "light" attraction this year.  

Hopefully we'll be back next year :banana: 

Just now, Dale Roberts said:

That's simply not true. I sold more books at Chicago than I have at almost any show anywhere. And practically every major dealer in the country sets up there. 

Wizard World Chicago is a big pop culture show that has comic dealers in attendance. If the comic dealers were not there it would still be a successful pop culture show.

5 hours ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Lange's wasn't at WW either.  I did real well with them last year, both in the wall books and bin stuff.  I think the writing is on the wall for this show if all those small to mid-size dealers start migrating to C2E2 instead.  I might have to focus my attention to Baltimore instead next year, as well as C2E2 in the Spring.  And let's not mention the lack of onsite grading by either certification company.  That's a total dis-service to all collectors/dealers.

This is really not a reflection on wizard. Langes was at motor city but had almost nothing in terms of old books, just cheap stuff. He said buying had been extremely slim. I suspect he didn't think he had the quality of inventory needed to make it worth while. 

4 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Wizard World Chicago is a big pop culture show that has comic dealers in attendance. If the comic dealers were not there it would still be a successful pop culture show.

I completely disagree. It is first and foremost still Chicago comic con with some celebrities added.  It has more comic books than any show in the country and more comic customers than any show I attend. 

My WWC was 10x better than my C2E2...which sucked. 

As always, it's more about what dealers you hit when, and what number in line you are. The difference between an epic show, a mediocre show and a terrible show is pretty slim. I watched the first dealer at a guy's booth walk away with $5k plus in great books. The next guy? $300-400. Me? $60. That kind of thing can make or break a show for buying, and it's really more luck of the draw than anything else. 

There were tons of deals in the room, you just had to be one of the first to see them. 

Edited by october

1 hour ago, Guardian Comics said:

Well for an awful show I think I did awesome, as this represents some but not all of what I rescued from the walls of the bathfitters and psychics :cloud9:

Jim

IMG_1911.JPG

I could have walked away with books like that, if I was willing to overpay like you :baiting:

40 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I could have walked away with books like that, if I was willing to overpay like you :baiting:

Those Canadian buyers but be starved for keys if he can buy wall books from Chicago and still make some money.