• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 24-27, 2017
2 2

371 posts in this topic

Since we had the dates I thought I would post them for OCD overplanners like me. A scant fifteen months away! Thanks to Catrick for digging up the date.

Home Page

Edit: It looks like they changed the dates...

Edited by mysterio

It looks like they changed the dates to a week later, and I'm pissed. These dates fall at the end of the first week of the semester, and totally shoot my usual week long trip to Chicago. Bitter doesn't begin to describe my mood. I hope this is a typo.

It looks like they changed the dates to a week later, and I'm pissed. These dates fall at the end of the first week of the semester, and totally shoot my usual week long trip to Chicago. Bitter doesn't begin to describe my mood. I hope this is a typo.

The later August date actually works better for me though and my job though. Employed or not, I'm going to be there next year...always a fantastic show.

The later August date actually works better for me though and my job though. Employed or not, I'm going to be there next year...always a fantastic show.

I'll be there too, it will just be more complicated and I will have to fly in. Much more of a pain in the :censored: though.

Thanks for the head's up with the change in date. Stephens Room at Gibsons has been reserved for 2017 dinner

I've got half a mind to e-mail Wizard to confirm that these are the dates. Catrick had gotten the previous set of dates from a Wizard sales rep, so it seems odd that over the course of like 6 weeks they would push the dates out. If I hear anything different I will post it.

This doesn't mean it's written in stone, but it is on their site

http://wizardworld.com/comiccon/chicago

Yeah, that is where I saw it. I happened to check the website this morning and saw the change. I'm sure that those are almost certainly the dates, but I figured that it was worth asking just in case.

At the conclusion of the convention this year they had a meeting explaining the situation.

Basically they stated that the convention center had them down for the wrong dates but they were trying to work it out to change to the normal dates.

They must not have been able to negotiate a deal as last week they sent out early bird notices to dealers for a discount on booth fees for paying early. The dates were Aug 24-27 2017.

Not ideal as we all get used to the same schedule year after year but what can you do? Just wait a week later for one of the best shows of the year!

Wizard World and Baltimore back to back weeks - they trying to kill us? People's livers can only handle so much!

This is part of the problem, scheduling the shows for the dealers, as I can't imagine that people will be excited about doing these two giant shows in back to back weeks.

Personally, my issue is that I usually get to end my summer on a week(ish) long trip to Chicago. I'm born and raised there, but haven't lived there in basically 20 years. I get to visit friends, eat wonderful food, and that week around the con is usually the only time of the year that I get this. Moving the con a week later takes it out of my last week of break and into my first week of teaching, which means having to miss class to fly to Chicago to do a quick hit and run for three days of the show. Flying instead of driving also means I can't carry as much stuff, and it costs much more. I'll still be there, but it kills all the extras that I so look forward to with WW Chicago. I'll live, but I'm not at all happy about it.

Wizard World and Baltimore back to back weeks - they trying to kill us? People's livers can only handle so much!

This is part of the problem, scheduling the shows for the dealers, as I can't imagine that people will be excited about doing these two giant shows in back to back weeks.

Personally, my issue is that I usually get to end my summer on a week(ish) long trip to Chicago. I'm born and raised there, but haven't lived there in basically 20 years. I get to visit friends, eat wonderful food, and that week around the con is usually the only time of the year that I get this. Moving the con a week later takes it out of my last week of break and into my first week of teaching, which means having to miss class to fly to Chicago to do a quick hit and run for three days of the show. Flying instead of driving also means I can't carry as much stuff, and it costs much more. I'll still be there, but it kills all the extras that I so look forward to with WW Chicago. I'll live, but I'm not at all happy about it.

If they are really going to do it back to back next year, I'll either decide to do one or the other or I just may stay in Chicago for a few days before I head off to Baltimore.

No way I'm going to fly back and forth.

If they are really going to do it back to back next year, I'll either decide to do one or the other or I just may stay in Chicago for a few days before I head off to Baltimore

Chicago will never survive more than 5 days of greggy :eek:

If they are really going to do it back to back next year, I'll either decide to do one or the other or I just may stay in Chicago for a few days before I head off to Baltimore.

That's a decision that a lot of people will have to make. And it gets expensive to put all those days back to back if you have to stay in a hotel...

It'd almost be tempting to think about hitting C2E2 or Baltimore for the first time if I will have to take off work and fly for my big show of the year. That was always one of the draws of WW Chicago, since it fell when I was on semester break.

Edited by mysterio

That's a decision that a lot of people will have to make. And it gets expensive to put all those days back to back if you have to stay in a hotel...

Plus since I like to pay by cash, do I really want to bring that much money at once?