• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color touch noted on blue label?

24 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seen this before? A universal label with a remark indicating a "very minor amount of color touch on cover?"

Just curious as I've never come across this and assumed that all color touch, however minor, leads to a PLOD.

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bmystery%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1091871

I do believe the Church copy of more fun 52 has small amount of glue notation on a blue label but I could be wrong.

Personally for color touch its either restoration or it isn't. I don't get theses types of designations all they do is dilute the cgc name as the #1 grader in our hobby and make me think who submitted it and would I be afforded that same kindness.

I do believe the Church copy of more fun 52 has small amount of glue notation on a blue label but I could be wrong.

Personally for color touch its either restoration or it isn't. I don't get theses types of designations all they do is dilute the cgc name as the #1 grader in our hobby and make me think who submitted it and would I be afforded that same kindness.

You're right on the more fun..

Same with the Larsen...Larsen erased,not noted even.

You're right on the more fun..

Same with the Larsen...Larsen erased,not noted even.

I didn't know that here's a scan of the Larson.

nRO0C4B.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this before? A universal label with a remark indicating a "very minor amount of color touch on cover?"

Just curious as I've never come across this and assumed that all color touch, however minor, leads to a PLOD.

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bmystery%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1091871

There are many, many GA books with that notation or a notation of "minor amount of glue on spine."

The back story is that a lot of high-priced Church and other pedigree books had had a bit of color touch or a spine split sealed with a spot of glue. When CGC was starting up, some prominent dealers and collectors made it clear that putting these books in restored slabs was a non-starter for them.

Once CGC allowed those books to have blue labels, they pretty much had to extend the policy to other GA books, which they did.

If that's the case then I don't see why anyone would trust cgc from this point unless it's as a tool to move inventory.

Well, they have had this policy from the day they opened their doors ....

If that's the case then I don't see why anyone would trust cgc from this point unless it's as a tool to move inventory.

Well, they have had this policy from the day they opened their doors ....

Truthfully I didn't know that, and I'm sure there are many more like me.

It comes down to who is submitting and not what is being submitted. It's too bad.

The back story is that a lot of high-priced Church and other pedigree books had had a bit of color touch or a spine split sealed with a spot of glue. When CGC was starting up, some prominent dealers and collectors made it clear that putting these books in restored slabs was a non-starter for them.

Once CGC allowed those books to have blue labels, they pretty much had to extend the policy to other GA books, which they did.

Ah, thanks Sqeggs, I learned something new today. Interesting back story, but it makes me wonder if graders have a clearly defined guideline regarding where the threshold is between what warrants a blue label with remark or a purple with slight restoration?

I agree, it should be a black or white issue

but tape added to cover can swing either way (blue or purple) depending on whether it's restorative... same should apply here.

what if someone scribbled a blue marker on a blue background.... was it meant to touch up a colour break? or was it a scribble?

Ah, thanks Sqeggs, I learned something new today. Interesting back story, but it makes me wonder if graders have a clearly defined guideline regarding where the threshold is between what warrants a blue label with remark or a purple with slight restoration?

My understanding is that if the color touch is a small mark that appears to be on the book for no other reason than it just being a mark on the book then it is blue label and the color touch is considered a small defect.

if the color touch is apparent that it was done in an attempt to improve the appearance of the book then it gets a purple label.

Since CGC opened its doors in 2000, it has had the policy that, at CGC's sole discretion, a book from 1950 or before with an extremely small amount of color touch or glue (e.g. one or two dots) can still get a Blue Universal label. HOWEVER, any color touch or glue detected will still be disclosed on the label, regardless of color.