• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the most significant Golden Age pages still around?

35 posts in this topic

I was looking back at the OA Elite blog, the Batman 1 Joker page at Guernsey's, the Superman 14 cover, and some of the nicer Golden pages in the "This Week" thread (Dr. Fate!), and I was wondering...

Given that so much was destroyed, what are the earliest AND most significant Golden Age pages extant? Not necessarily, what has come up for sale, but what is out there?

Do we know the fate of the pages from some of the key books? Does DC still have any in their archive?

There was a terrific show back in White Plains in the early 2000s, I think. Infantino, Barry Smith, Wrightson, Roy Thomas, etc. I remember sitting in on a panel where Marv Wolfman said he rescued a Shuster Superman story by piecing the panels back together.

That Batman 1 page gets my vote for most significant. First appearance of the best villain in comics!

Looking at the OA Elite blog, there are more Golden covers than pages... probably because those had more eye appeal if you were going to hold onto something as a keepsake.

Perhaps this is a forbidden topic as it steps on future big auction announcements. :)

Thoughts?

White Plains was awesome. The talent pool was incredible, just at the cusp of when most of the greats from all three eras were still around (and mobile!) John Buscema and Dan DeCarlo are my two most memorable 'hang outs' that weekend. And as it turned out later, my last chance at both of them. All the more special in that the place was not jammed (especially Friday iirc), so you could truly 'hang' and it wasn't a burden on anyone (the creators or other fans).

I can't believe that show was not repeated. Did the promoters lose money?

There are some great GA originals out there, one of my favorites is Jon's Planet #1 cover. Another is the cut Superman daily that was later re-purposed in Action #1. The many pieces Jerry Robinson saved. The Chet Kozlak stuff too. Less historic but still so cool are the many unpublished Green Lantern pages and tiers floating around. I have some. Will add more as prices allow :)

That Submariner page from Marvel Comics #1.

The Captain America 6 splash.

+1

The Sub-Mariner page gets my vote for #1 out of all that I'm aware of. The Lou Fine Hit cover from Jerry Robinson's collection ranks pretty high too. I forget what issue number.

Admittedly, it's not a published page, but is anything left that is more significant than the letter from H. G. Peter to William Moulton Marston?

It's pretty close to the first drawing ever of the most famous, female comic book character accompanied by the artist's thoughts on the subject.

That has to be the most important.

162430.jpg.5840c192409ef786a8d55133bcd85710.jpg

The Lou Fine Jungle #1 cover is out there. A couple or so later All-Star covers.

Jerry Robinson Detective #63, the first Joker cover.

There's quite a few significant covers out there. Not as many "significance" interiors.

MI

EC books are considered golden age, right? I've seen a lot of covers through the years which all look pretty awesome. As far as super hero significance, maybe not as relevant to most, but some of the most historic, iconic and important images in comic books by hall of fame artists.

BIG time iirc but I think they did not meet reserve @ $95k during the live sale but sold soon after for the same $95k. This way back in 1994 when most everything else we talk about here daily wasn't even pushing $2k ;)

The Batman 1 page is interesting but it makes me ask the question: Why was that page saved and not some of the better ones"…or were they?

The cover to Detective 28 exists but why would someone save that cover and not the cover to 27 or 29?

I'm partial to the Atlas hero revival. I forget the issue and title (likely Men's Adventures or Young Men)- it was a Cap story that had Subby and the Torch in a panel with Cap. I think it may have been the only time the big 3 were in a story (one panel no less) during the Atlas era. I have a picture somewhere of Vincent from Metropolis holding that page.

The Batman 1 page is interesting but it makes me ask the question: Why was that page saved and not some of the better ones"…or were they?

Interior pages were often provided by editors to new artists to use as 'how to' guides. Storytelling was the point, not whether Batman was on it or not. Much like the perma-shortage of pens and paperclips at your office...not all art was brought back ;)