• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the most significant Golden Age pages still around?

35 posts in this topic

The Batman 1 page is interesting but it makes me ask the question: Why was that page saved and not some of the better ones"…or were they?

The cover to Detective 28 exists but why would someone save that cover and not the cover to 27 or 29?

Guardineer saved many of his covers. I guess Kane didn't...

The Batman 1 page is interesting but it makes me ask the question: Why was that page saved and not some of the better ones"…or were they?

Interior pages were often provided by editors to new artists to use as 'how to' guides. Storytelling was the point, not whether Batman was on it or not. Much like the perma-shortage of pens and paperclips at your office...not all art was brought back ;)

Still doesn't answer the question as to how/why this particular Batman 1 page survived and not (unaccounted for and not necessarily lost) other "better" ones…

New artists would still need to see how the lead characters were drawn...

I'm partial to the Atlas hero revival. I forget the issue and title (likely Men's Adventures or Young Men)- it was a Cap story that had Subby and the Torch in a panel with Cap. I think it may have been the only time the big 3 were in a story (one panel no less) during the Atlas era. I have a picture somewhere of Vincent from Metropolis holding that page.

The page you're referring to comes from Young Men #26. As far as the 50's Atlas Superhero art, here are the stories that I have seen pages/splashes from:

- Young Men #26 - John Romita Cap story, Bill Everett Sub-Mariner story, Carl Burgos Human Torch story

- Men's Adventures #27 - Mort Lawrence Cap story, Bob Powell Sub-Mariner story

- Human Torch #36 - Richard Ayers/Carl Burgos "Dinosaur" & "Ape" stories

- Captain America #77 - John Romita lead Cap story

There is also a rejected Romita Cap/Red Skull piece from Young Men #24 that was published in Alter Ego.

So, not a ton of art out there from this era, but some good examples have survived. I think the most significant from this era would be the Cap #77 splash or the Everett Sub-Mariner splash from Young Men #26.

I'm partial to the Atlas hero revival. I forget the issue and title (likely Men's Adventures or Young Men)- it was a Cap story that had Subby and the Torch in a panel with Cap. I think it may have been the only time the big 3 were in a story (one panel no less) during the Atlas era. I have a picture somewhere of Vincent from Metropolis holding that page.

The page you're referring to comes from Young Men #26. As far as the 50's Atlas Superhero art, here are the stories that I have seen pages/splashes from:

- Young Men #26 - John Romita Cap story, Bill Everett Sub-Mariner story, Carl Burgos Human Torch story

- Men's Adventures #27 - Mort Lawrence Cap story, Bob Powell Sub-Mariner story

- Human Torch #36 - Richard Ayers/Carl Burgos "Dinosaur" & "Ape" stories

- Captain America #77 - John Romita lead Cap story

There is also a rejected Romita Cap/Red Skull piece from Young Men #24 that was published in Alter Ego.

So, not a ton of art out there from this era, but some good examples have survived. I think the most significant from this era would be the Cap #77 splash or the Everett Sub-Mariner splash from Young Men #26.

Thanks for the very informative post! I agree the splashes would both be considered the most key. I think I have that Cap/Red Skull issue of AE (it was one of the first 10 or so issues IIRC?)

Interior pages were often provided by editors to new artists to use as 'how to' guides. Storytelling was the point, not whether Batman was on it or not. Much like the perma-shortage of pens and paperclips at your office...not all art was brought back ;)

Still doesn't answer the question as to how/why this particular Batman 1 page survived and not (unaccounted for and not necessarily lost) other "better" ones…

New artists would still need to see how the lead characters were drawn...

Who said the new guy would be drawing Batman? Or even have the job? I wasn't there (duh) but the way these stories usually go is, "Hey kid, come back when you can do this. Then we'll talk about paying you!"

Back in 1994 (ballpark) Sothebys had an auction that had If I remember correctly 10+ different Schomburg covers almost all with war content/hero cross over. That was the biggest pile of golden-age significant art I've ever seen sell.

There are a few Raboy Master covers out there. 27 & 38 stand out in my mind IIRC.

Lou Fine -- several National covers, a few Hits (6, 11, 17 I think, maybe more), Science 2, Jungle 1, Planet 1.

The Harvey archives were pretty complete, they didn't have a whole lot significant early on, but if there is a first appearance of Richie Rich or a similar character, that would be pretty significant.

All the EC stuff -- Mad 1 and CSS 22 cover would be standouts.

Bob Beerbohm sells repros of what is claimed to be a prelim Superman 1 cover from 1933 or so. Where the original is, or if it's legit... ???

I suppose a lot of this just depends on how you define "significant".

The Harvey Archives included a cache of Golden Age art including a number of Schomburg covers - mostly All New and Green Hornet.

The Fred Guardineer collection had many cool early DC covers. From what I remember - Action #8, 9, 15, 16, More Fun #47, Detective #28, 30, Adventure #34 and 45, There may have been some other pre-hero covers as well, but the Action #15 which sold a few years back was the most significant of the lot.

But, the Jerry Robinson collection with the Superman #14 and multiple classic early Detective Comics covers and other Golden Age covers (like the More Fun #73) tops them all as far as golden age art collections.

The Batman #11 cover was sold many years ago - not sure where that came from, but that's one of my favorites.

The Spectre More Fun splash page that Fishler owns is pretty epic. A very cool piece.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's actually from All-Star. I remember when it originally showed up on Ebay... from Europe, I believe.