• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WORLD RECORD PRICE OF CRYPT COVER 41 of $101,332.00

19 posts in this topic

This year has been a interesting year for Original tales from the crypt cover art. On Feb 29, of this year on Ha.com the original art to #27 sold for only $29,875.00 and its one heck of a cover art and content wise.

On May 13, on Ha.com tales from the crypt cover #40 sold for a astounding $71,700.00 no crypt cover had even broken 50K on Ha.com. The artwork is first rate, however the content to #27/41 in my opinion is inferior. There were 53 bids on the crypt 41 cover.

Where does this leave us?..if the upward trend continues the next 100K barrier breaker will be a WS/WF/WSF average cover, I am aware of the wood cover hitting 200K, but more like a Feldstein cover which will crack it....

That TFTC 40 cover was the best of the three you listed IMHO. Also, since it knocked on the $50K door the last time it sold ($47,800 in 2009), the $71K price isn't too surprising, especially when you factor in the state of the economy (recession in 2009, recovery now which is why we are seeing record prices reached on comics and art at auction). Davis is also my favorite of the big three EC artists (which I realize contradicts my handle!), because of his consistency. EC art in general is hot, as evidenced by the Ingels story that also sold in the May 13th auction for $20k.

That TFTC 40 cover was the best of the three you listed IMHO. Also, since it knocked on the $50K door the last time it sold ($47,800 in 2009), the $71K price isn't too surprising, especially when you factor in the state of the economy (recession in 2009, recovery now which is why we are seeing record prices reached on comics and art at auction). Davis is also my favorite of the big three EC artists (which I realize contradicts my handle!), because of his consistency. EC art in general is hot, as evidenced by the Ingels story that also sold in the May 13th auction for $20k.

Do you believe the crypt cover is worth 101k?

The cover to #41, no, and not the #40 either; not yet, anyway. There ARE a handful of Davis TFTC covers that I would take out a second mortgage to bid on, but neither the 40 nor the 41 would be on that list. I get why the prices on Crypt covers would be higher than the "norm", because it is the flagship title, but there are other titles with covers that would easily top 101k if they came up for auction. Crime #22, WSF #29, come to mind. However, I also agree with your earlier post that the next big price could come from a Feldstein cover, say TFTC 23 or 24? They are the best non-Davis covers of the run, both are iconic (with 24 edging 23 by a little), from THE title, and added to that is the smaller pool of Feldstein covers to pull from. I'd say they would go big.

I really don't believe that the actual value of this crypt cover is $101K, its probably two buyers that would not lose the piece. If you had peg a value I would put it at 80...maybe 85K tops assuming that the 71K sale recently was not a one time deal between the same bidders. Russ charged 20% on top of the 84 bid price and that is how we ended up at 101K.

In order for the seller to put it on the market, at Ha.com for instance or back to russ that is gonna cost another 20%, I don't see this piece going for 121K at this point.

EC art is hot, but not crazy..just my 2 cents worth.

Not exactly my favourite Crypt cover (and I've been collecting EC art since '82). Davis I like, but I'd place Ingels as my favourite artist on the Horror titles . . . by a mile.

Do you think the next "ingles cover" will crack 100K at an auction, draftsmanship wise I think Ingels is better but content wise davis is hard to beat

If it is a straight horror scene, with a dripping dead corpse rising from a grave or shambling after a victim, then Ingels is in his wheelhouse and it is spectacular. Where he loses me is in his exposition pages. His females are inconsistent (his screaming nags are better done than his sexy women). His kinetics seem posed and the characters don't seem to have momentum. Compared to Davis, whose action shots look like they could steamroll right off of the page. His women are consistent (you can tell which ones are supposed to be attractive and which ones are old and haggard, and there are subtle variable for those in between). He could take the everyday and make it horrible. Ingels doing TFTC 40 would not have been nearly as great as the results from Davis. His cover to #37, in an "Ingels" setting, is equally fantastic. But look at #43. The action, the kinetic staging, you can absolutely feel that guy falling toward you. The same is true with #45-Davis grabs you with the hopelessness of the guy's situation; it's horror, but Ingels wouldn't have done it as well. That is where Gaines Should share credit for doing what he did best: matching the right artist with the right story and cover.

I think a $100k sale will be determined by the quality of image, among other factors. Ingels' covers have been under $50k fairly consistently. That, coupled with the "name recognition" factor of TFTC (and with Haunt of Fear not having that sort of prestige), might make reaching a final hammer that high pretty difficult.

Not exactly my favourite Crypt cover (and I've been collecting EC art since '82). Davis I like, but I'd place Ingels as my favourite artist on the Horror titles . . . by a mile.

Do you think the next "ingles cover" will crack 100K at an auction, draftsmanship wise I think Ingels is better but content wise davis is hard to beat

No idea. I'm not really into the 'predicting' game. What will be, will be.

Big Ghastly fan, but agree with you on his and Davis' strengths. Especially agree with this:

But look at #43. The action, the kinetic staging, you can absolutely feel that guy falling toward you.

:applause:(thumbs u

The cover to #41, no, and not the #40 either; not yet, anyway. There ARE a handful of Davis TFTC covers that I would take out a second mortgage to bid on, but neither the 40 nor the 41 would be on that list. I get why the prices on Crypt covers would be higher than the "norm", because it is the flagship title, but there are other titles with covers that would easily top 101k if they came up for auction. Crime #22, WSF #29, come to mind. However, I also agree with your earlier post that the next big price could come from a Feldstein cover, say TFTC 23 or 24? They are the best non-Davis covers of the run, both are iconic (with 24 edging 23 by a little), from THE title, and added to that is the smaller pool of Feldstein covers to pull from. I'd say they would go big.

Love both covers, though I give a slight edge to 23 over 24. Also nice that 23 was used for the Nostalgia Press EC collection in the '70s. Both covers are winners. :)