• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to have a unwitnessed signed comic graded????
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me the best way to get an unwitnessed comic graded? I am a little confused about getting the best grade.or is it going to be a green label unverified grade? I have a LOA but I understand that means nothing.

You send it in to be graded in the normal manner, but yes, it may come back qualified (green).

Click here to directly view what I quote below.

Does the signature have to be witnessed by an Authorized CGC Representative?

Yes! Absolutely no “what ifs” allowed… (“What if the artist will say he just signed it?” “What if I took a picture?”, “What if my friend/dealer/etc witnessed it?”, “What if I have a Certificate of Authenticity?”, “What if I videotaped it?”, “What if the artist is dead, but his wife says it’s his signature?”, etc.)

Who can sign my book?

Well, though a vague question, there are several possibilities. Any of the artists (inker, colorist, etc.) and any writer from that specific title and issue can sign. Any person who was significantly involved in the creation of the character or storyline can sign the book. If an actor played that character, they can sign the book. Also, any persons mentioned or quoted in the book can sign (letters published, names mentioned, quoted).

How does CGC grade books that have been signed, but not witnessed?

Basic rule-of-thumb is if the book is mid-grade or lower, or if the signature is on the inside of the book, it will get a Universal label with grading text that would read something like: “Name written on cover/nth page in marker.”

If the book is high-grade the signature would be the qualifier, hence the Qualified label. The grading text in that case would read something like: “NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.” (Qualifiers are always in CAPS on the Qualified label)

The Universal label would be inclusive of the Signature as a defect and the book would be graded accordingly. Since the book is mid-grade, the signature would not warrant the use of a qualifier because the signature, in our standards, would be an acceptable defect in that grade.

The Qualified label would ignore the major defect (in this case the signature) in the grade and would reflect the grade of the book. We only use the Qualified label for specific defects and if the difference in grades between being Universal or Qualified is big enough to warrant it.

I have a comic that was signed by a creator without a CGC Signature Series Witness present. At an upcoming show, I have the opportunity to have the same book signed by the artist, but this time with a CGC Signature Series Witness overseeing. If the book were to then be sent off for the CGC Signature Series grading, would it get the CGC Signature Series label or the Qualified label?

First, we’d recommend that you get an unsigned copy done for the CGC Signature Series.

The book you are describing would still be eligible for the CGC Signature Series, but the final grade would depend on a few variables, like where the first un-witnessed signature is located on the book.

If the un-witnessed signature is in the margin on the interior of the book, then the book would receive the yellow CGC Signature Series label with the grading text reading something to the affect of: “SIGNED BY ________ ON X/X/XX (Name written on 1st page in marker.)” Depending on the overall grade of the book, the un-witnessed interior signature could cause the book to get a slightly lower grade. This really will come into play if the book is very high-grade.

If the un-witnessed signature is on the cover the book would still receive the yellow CGC Signature Series label with the grading text reading something to the effect of: “SIGNED BY ________ ON X/X/XX (Name written on cover in marker.)” Depending on the overall grade of the book, the un-witnessed signature on the cover most likely will result in the book receiving a considerably lower grade. This really will come into play if the book is mid- to high-grade.

Can I make a special request when submitting books for CGC Signature Series?

Yes, and all attempts will be made to accommodate requests (colored pens, multiple signatures, sketches, etc.), but since it is ultimately up to the creator, no guaranty can be made. Please list artists in order of personal importance if numerous artists are requests, but also understand that we may only be able to get the book signed by the last person listed. Once the books are received by CGC, the submitter assumes any costs involved with getting the book signed, graded and shipped regardless if any or all requests have been met.

Will CGC take a scan/image of my signature if it is inside the book?

No, you must take any scans or images you want before submitting the book for grading. We do offer an imaging service for $3 a book, but you will only receive a scan of the front of the comic once it is graded and encapsulated.

My Local Comic Shop has a great signing scheduled. Can they request to be authorized to do CGC Signature Series for this event?

Yes, if they are already a CGC Authorized Dealer, this can be quite simple. All they have to do is give us a call. If they are not a CGC Authorized Dealer, they must apply to become one in order to be authorized to host a CGC Signature Series Event (please allow two extra weeks for the Authorized Dealer process). We just ask that they contact CGC Customer Service (1-877-662-6642) at least one month in advance to make the necessary arrangements for the signing.

Can someone tell me the best way to get an unwitnessed comic graded? I am a little confused about getting the best grade.or is it going to be a green label unverified grade? I have a LOA but I understand that means nothing.

If the book is signed on the cover, it'll come back in a green qualified label slab with the signature being ignored for grading purposes.

The only exception would be if the comic was very low grade in which case it would get a blue universal label slab with the signature being treated as a defect and factored into the grade.

What would be really cool is if CGC offered a signature authentication service, with say a different colored label .... maybe something in Red? Hint hint.

Unless it undermined an industry-leading already existing profitable revenue stream.

What would be really cool is if CGC offered a signature authentication service, with say a different colored label .... maybe something in Red? Hint hint.

I prefer my sigs authentic instead of the "yeah, if I squint that could be possibly be that guy who is now dead"-guarantee.

I prefer my sigs authentic instead of the "yeah, if I squint that could be possibly be that guy who is now dead"-guarantee.

That's the way autograph collectors have been doing it for decades. It is all opinion. That means it is subjective. Oh, just like comic grading. hm

I'd say 95% of the signatures on comic books are authentic to the degree that outside of Stan Lee and a few deceased artists or elusive signers, there's no real reason to forge signatures. Autographs by J. Scott Campbell, Adam Hughes, Neal Adams, etc. are all readily available at conventions, although many artists charge fees, most or the majority don't, and the incremental value of an autograph is debatable to adding a premium to also being seen as a defect or flaw to purists who seek out true high grades without any aftermarket alterations like a signature (writing on the book).

So, I'd not think the signature series or any authentication is truly necessary to the point where there's a huge premium. Sure, it's a great benefit to substantiate and add provenience to the autographs, but at what price/cost to the value is the challenging question.

I'd most certainly, personally never pay a premium for a signature/autographed comic book, nor would I pay to get an autograph authenticated. But that's just me, my preferences and opinion.

I completely agree.

22 hours ago, Biggest said:

Why would you hope for a blue label? The only reason you'd get a blue label on an already signed book is if it received a low grade. 

Because a lot of buyers hate any form of writing on their books, including signatures, so if it's in a blue slab you might get more bidders for the book.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/22/2020 at 11:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Because a lot of buyers hate any form of writing on their books, including signatures, so if it's in a blue slab you might get more bidders for the book.  (thumbsu

Would you say *most* buyers would rather have a non-autographed copy of a book than an autographed version?