• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Marvel 1 Which would you rather own and y?
2 2

216 posts in this topic

I prefer Tec 27 :whee: :whee: :whee::banana: :banana: :banana::ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez::idea: :idea: :idea::jokealert:

I don't... :sorry::sorry::sorry::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::slapfight::slapfight::slapfight::kidaround::kidaround::kidaround::rulez:

Old age is really your enemy Richard. :censored: even you know that Marvel 1 is 4 or 5 on the list Tec 31/Batman 1 even beats Marvel 1 for the people who really know whats what. O i still want your chicago copy no :censored:. I never said i did not like Marvel 1 (shrug)

The older I get the more I like what I like.

Detective 27 is arguably one of the two most important comics, no doubt. But I love Marvel 1.

I feel you. I would love to have a better copy of Marvel its right up there with the greats (worship) I am just trying to get to know you better Richard lol :censored:k you do have nice books :golfclap:whats not to like :headbang:

:)

First, I love this thread! Although I prefer MC, they each have favorite panels of mine. I have posted on this before: The sailor smoking the cigarette before the introduction of the Sub-Mariner, and the female US agent removing her mask in the Curios shop in Cap 1. I thought those panels, and the mystery surrounding the plot at that point, was just perfect.

My MC is missing the back cover and some panels from the last six pages (Kazar story) if anyone has some spare parts...

The top image comes from my incomplete MC 1. The bottom images come from Jules Feiffer's book.

162486.jpg.e3c606599ea2d5521a4fbda4009144c5.jpg

162496.jpg.7d9c7f1e16d25cc89bbaa275cd6d39a7.jpg

162497.jpg.f039a3242af39b6c402c51184b285699.jpg

Edited by TheSurgeon

Although I prefer MC, both have panels that I always found amazing. I have posted on this before: The sailor smoking the cigarette before the introduction of the Sub-Mariner, and the female US agent removing her mask in the Curio shop in Cap 1. I thought those panels, and the mystery surrounding the plot at that point, was just perfect.

The top image comes from my incomplete MC 1. The bottom comes from Jules Feiffer's book.

My coverless Marvel 1 is missing last page if anyone has one.

I know that Cap 1 is worth more, but I love the historical significance of MC1. I also prefer the pulp feel to the cover and stories. 2c

I would rather have a Cap 1

I have more of a personal attachment to Captain America than the "Original Human Torch"

That Cap punching Hitler cover is beyond badass

I know that Cap 1 is worth more, but I love the historical significance of MC1. I also prefer the pulp feel to the cover and stories. 2c
(thumbs u agreed. MC 1 and Cap 1 are really two different Timelys. Unlike Tec 27 and Action 1 which are pretty much closer in style and content.

How about the old "one dime" senario? If they were both on the newstand and all you had was one dime... It would be Cap #1 hands down for me (as well as probably most of the boardies that respond I suspect.) Better stories, classic character (that is still relevant I might ad), and one heck of a cover first appearance!

My first thought for this scenario would be Captain America 1. Much more energetic Kirby artwork, Hitler getting seven bells knocked out of him on the cover, and a great-looking, all-time classic super-hero design.

But, having seen a high grade Marvel 1, the blue cover is very bright and attractive, and would really stand out if you saw it fresh on the newsstand.

You'd be drawn to both of them.

Overall, though, as Captain America is one of my favourite characters, easily his first appearance for me.

It's hard for me to get behind the cover art of Marvel #1.

As a pulp style cover it's awesome!,

but I never feel it's THE Torch!

The Torch I know doesn't have a mustache and elf ears, and kept his evil grinning behind the veil of android emotion.

27140898715_ac28e5b449_b.jpg

Schomburg's first Torch in Marvel Mystery #5 feels more like the one I know.

27045692152_bec0d8a0bd_b.jpg

Now if the guy with the gun in #1 was replaced with hitler....

26534824724_3538474469_b.jpg

Interesting observation, but I see the elf ears on the Marvel 5 as well. Cap on Cap 1 is not the same Cap of the rest of the series either. Triangular shield, half mask, bright blue costume. I'm sure the kids who bought Cap 2 were wondering who the new guy was.

cap%201%20vs%20cap%202_zps0do8uzux.jpg

One thing no one has mentioned is that MC #1 came out in 1939, CA #1 came out almost 1 and a half years later. Cap is also far more "common" than Marvel Comics #1. I love Cap, Hitler cover & Red Skull, but Marvel #1 is my choice!

There are many early issues of Marvel Mystery that I would collect before I spent my money on Marvel Mystery 1. Captain America 1 would make me a lot happier than any of those Marvel Mysteries. MM 1 should still be worth more than Cap 1 but I would rather have the Cap.. :headbang:

15050850909_476c4afef0_b.jpg

I prefer Tec 27 :whee: :whee: :whee::banana: :banana: :banana::ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez::idea: :idea: :idea::jokealert:

I don't... :sorry::sorry::sorry::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::slapfight::slapfight::slapfight::kidaround::kidaround::kidaround::rulez:

Old age is really your enemy Richard. :censored: even you know that Marvel 1 is 4 or 5 on the list Tec 31/Batman 1 even beats Marvel 1 for the people who really know whats what. O i still want your chicago copy no :censored:. I never said i did not like Marvel 1 (shrug)

The older I get the more I like what I like.

Detective 27 is arguably one of the two most important comics, no doubt. But I love Marvel 1.

The older I get, the less I can remember what I like. :cry:

Cap 1 has one of the most beautiful covers of all time, every time I see one in person I am filled with joy so cap 1 all day for me.

So, true! Even though I choose Marvel 1 because of its larger significance both in the history of comics and the history of fandom, judging just on the basis of covers, Cap 1 wins hands down.

For me, Cap 1 is the best GA cover, bar none. it has everything:

1. Iconic hero

2. Hitler

3. Iconic hero giving it to Hitler in the chops

4. Simon and Kirby art

5. Nazis planning invasion of U.S. (10 months or so before Pearl Harbor!)

6. Weird technology (who's filming that scene on the television and how is the picture making it to Berlin?)

6. Inane sidekick shown prominently

7. Totally superfluous caption

That, my friends, is the GA in all it's glory! :cloud9: