• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The first Grail

28 posts in this topic

Hey Oak,

If you're dispensing advice and happy to share, I'd love to be on the receiving end of it myself - given I'm a collector of similar price points as Amgadd01!

:foryou:

Right back at ya! :foryou:

To the OP,

I found myself very much in the same boat as you. I had an epiphany one day whereas I realized I could take the small chunks of money I spent regularly on small books and buy something that I never thought I could afford.

Was it hard? Yes. I was so used to buying 1-2 comics a month in the range of $100 to $400. How could I quit cold turkey? Will Power - nothing else.

I refrained and within a year, I ended up with an X-Men 1, Hulk 181 and Daredevil 1.

I love having those books; they're grails for me. Looking back, I'd still rather have those 3 books vs. having 15 books valued at $100 to $400.

To the OP,

I found myself very much in the same boat as you. I had an epiphany one day whereas I realized I could take the small chunks of money I spent regularly on small books and buy something that I never thought I could afford.

Was it hard? Yes. I was so used to buying 1-2 comics a month in the range of $100 to $400. How could I quit cold turkey? Will Power - nothing else.

I refrained and within a year, I ended up with an X-Men 1, Hulk 181 and Daredevil 1.

I love having those books; they're grails for me. Looking back, I'd still rather have those 3 books vs. having 15 books valued at $100 to $400.

thanks for the post! This is exactly what I'm struggling with lol I'm happy to hear others went through the same "growing pains." I'm hoping to make that first big purchase as an xmas present to myself! Now to decide which 100-400 books to sell to kickstart the saving hm

To the OP,

thanks for the post! This is exactly what I'm struggling with lol I'm happy to hear others went through the same "growing pains." I'm hoping to make that first big purchase as an xmas present to myself! Now to decide which 100-400 books to sell to kickstart the saving hm

I'd suggest start with the most common of those books, maybe keep the hardest few that are harder to find.

I remember when I sold all my childhood stuff , most of my comics, transformers, R/C car, saxophone....everything to get my first AF15. It was hard work, but totally worth it. Good luck!

Jerome

grails are good to get. my price range is under $400. And I managed to pick up an Avengers 1 for $200. And was happy with the 1.5 copy. Then a copy appeared a year later. A raw fine condition book that my Lcs was selling for a collector who owned the book for many years and just wanted their money back. It was priced as a Vg so I moved out of my comfort zone and paid $1250 for it. the avengers movie was coming out and book came back 6.5 offwhite blue label. sold my lower grade to help with cost and ended up with a nice condition book for a very good price.