• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Bumped into this gem on Sunday. One of my favorite Tarzan’s and one of only just a few I have in my collection. Such a beautiful cover! The lush jungle, the birds flying over his head, the water pouring out of the fish trap. Makes you really feel like you are there. Nice to have a nice copy for less than a modern comic.

0920CFC1-45FB-4C92-B447-06A5DC68D47D.jpeg

The Atomic Age of the mid to late '50s must have been very perplexing. Technological advances and cultural upheavals led to fear and paranoia and an overall feeling of a lack of control. The introduction of the Comics Code meant that publishers couldn't be so overt in their depictions of readers' fears. Instead they used symbolism to show humanity's hopelessness and despair, which in some ways was far creepier that the skeletons, ghouls and blood of just a few years earlier...

astonishing52.jpg