• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 2: 28th - 30th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 27th to 30th  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 27th to 30th

51 posts in this topic

All,

thanks to date for putting together and reducing the list to the Top 30.

From now on we are reducing the list by voting books off.

Please vote for the least important books.

3 votes this time to determine which books are 28th, 29th and 30th

Poll ends May 28th.

Interesting comparing Top 30 now with that done in Feb 2011.

Books that have dropped out of Top 30 (31 with a tie last time):

ASM #50 (1st Kingpin)

B&B #34 (1st SA Hawkman)

Flash #123 (1st mention Earth II, reintro GA Flash)

JLA #1

They have been replaced by:

FF #52 (1st Black Panther)

JIM #85 (1st Loki)

X-Men #4 (1st Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, - Brotherhood of Evil Mutants)

It looks like we are very much influenced by our time (in particular the impact of the Marvel film releases).

Tough list to remove from. After some soul searching, I decided to start the picking off with origin retellings and reintroductions of golden age characters (as befits the current trend of first appearances being king), then it will be on to blending in villain firsts with less important hero firsts.

Surprised there's so little love for Tec 225. Not a top 10 book, but not as important as ASM 3 or 14? Really?

Depends on whether you view it as within or outside of the SA.

It's in the poll as there has been an age long debate as whether Showcase #4 (9/56) or Tec #225 (11/55) started the SA.

While the Top 30 poll gives weight to people who vote positively (ie Tec #225 is the start of the SA) the removal polls give weight to the negative side.

If on the Showcase side then you would vote the Tec out in this round.

I'm a Marvel guy for the most part, but I had to include X-Men 4 on that round. If they hadn't recently made it to the screen it wouldn't have even been in the running.

I wouldn't say that is the case, IMHO #4 is the second biggest key of the run (excluding GS #1 and X-men #94). It has the first Scarlett Witch, Quicksilver, Toad, 1st Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and is the 2nd Magneto. Scarlett Witch in the 2000's started being used as more than a lower tier character with House of M and associated story lines. The book was looked over for years as #2 was considered the bigger key. I think the movies just woke people up as to which is the bigger key after #1.

Whoops! I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person that mis-read the poll and accidentally voted for AF 15, Showcase 4, and IH 1.

-J.

lol I was wondering who did that. I was thinking "some men just want to watch the world burn."

Surprised there's so little love for Tec 225. Not a top 10 book, but not as important as ASM 3 or 14? Really?

Depends on whether you view it as within or outside of the SA.

It's in the poll as there has been an age long debate as whether Showcase #4 (9/56) or Tec #225 (11/55) started the SA.

While the Top 30 poll gives weight to people who vote positively (ie Tec #225 is the start of the SA) the removal polls give weight to the negative side.

If on the Showcase side then you would vote the Tec out in this round.

Inclusion within the poll means for the sake of the argument that it's silver in my opinion. But mileage may vary. :thumbsup:

Whoops! I'm the insufficiently_thoughtful_person that mis-read the poll and accidentally voted for AF 15, Showcase 4, and IH 1.

-J.

lol I was wondering who did that. I was thinking "some men just want to watch the world burn."

Ditto for me - when I saw AF 15 voted out - doh!

-J.

Ditto for me - when I saw AF 15 voted out - doh!

You need a do-over... :tonofbricks:

I voted X-Men #4, FF #52, and ASM #3. Kind of surprised to see Green Lantern #1 up there. But I guess with not as many run collectors now-a-days and the bombing of the Green Lantern movie things are changing.

I was surprised that GL #1 is on the top 30 list but JLA #1 is not. I am a GL fan, but there is no way that it should still be on the list. lol