• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First New Holder posted by richard8158

7 posts in this topic

Maybe My Last New Holder

I was on the chat boards the other evening, something I rarely do, and a nearly 800 page chat was going on about the new holders. So I read for several hours.

Well I received my first comic today in the new holder. Pretty much everything that I read was true. The edges of the book look like they were dipped in diesel fuel and the top of the book has some waviness. There are those who suggested that the bowing of the book along the top was due to a bad pressing. This one was pressed by CCS, but I don't think that is the case. You can easily see the warp in the top center, but it travels down as well through the entire cover. I have a hard time believing that it left CCS that way, since it was flat when I mailed it in.

I really didn't dislike the new label, but the last labels weren't bad either. I did like that the top sticker is inside. Very clear too, which I also appreciated.

I would like to see what CGC plans to do about this. I know I will no longer be sending in any books until this is resolved. Has CGC even acknowledged there is a problem?

17457.jpg

See more journals by richard8158

I haven't noticed any structural issues with any of the books in my new holders, but like you I found that "diesel fuel" (personally I thought it looked more like dish soap) effect along the edges to be pretty off-putting. I couldn't bring myself to read all 321 pages and counting of the new holder thread on the boards, so did you happen to see any explanation/proposed remedy for why this is happening? It both looks bad and makes me worry that some detrimental process is occurring within the holder.

Other than that though, I'm a fan of the new product.

The CGC number is 0284622001. I don't really know what to do with this book. If I send it back, what will be different? I wonder if it is worse in the older books, as someone suggested, because of the paper used. This one was a 1952 GI Combat #1. It isn't terrible now, but completely and easily visible. I could live with it if it never got worse but I don't want a permanent warp in the book.

Ditch - Has there been any word from CGC on any of these problems with the new holders? I checked out a few pics from the waviness database and yikes! I've got books due back from Frank Miller and Alice Cooper signings soon, and I'll probably lose my excrement if I see waves in any of them.

The CGC number is 0284622001. I don't really know what to do with this book. If I send it back, what will be different? I wonder if it is worse in the older books, as someone suggested, because of the paper used. This one was a 1952 GI Combat #1. It isn't terrible now, but completely and easily visible. I could live with it if it never got worse but I don't want a permanent warp in the book.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the certification number. It's interesting that that is a very recent grading (05/18/2016). I sent you a PM. Good luck with everything. (thumbs u

Ditch - Has there been any word from CGC on any of these problems with the new holders? I checked out a few pics from the waviness database and yikes! I've got books due back from Frank Miller and Alice Cooper signings soon, and I'll probably lose my excrement if I see waves in any of them.

Unfortunately, there has been no comment from CGC regarding the waviness problem yet. They have made comments about newton ring mitigation.