• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harbinger #1 - Staple Tear

18 posts in this topic

I heard Harbinger #1 is rather notorious for getting/having staple tears at the bottom staple.

Was looking at my copy for grading -- double-checked for coupons -- and doesn't have any creasing. However, there is a staple tear/split on the spine right above the bottom staple.

So what is the top grade a copy like this could receive?

I heard Harbinger #1 is rather notorious for getting/having staple tears at the bottom staple.

Was looking at my copy for grading -- double-checked for coupons -- and doesn't have any creasing. However, there is a staple tear/split on the spine right above the bottom staple.

I has one with a similar issue fail a 9.4 pre-screen.

. Thanks for the info; will stay raw then.

Yup. Probably a 9.2

But an ASM #129 can get a 9.6/9.8 with a slight pop at the staple. lol

While Harbinger #1 is well known for the spine split near the staples this issue is not worth grading in my opinion. There are some older members on the Valiant boards that have a lot of experience submitting this book that could probably offer you some guidance.

I have seen many 9.8's that have very similar, or worse, staple stress. Go on eBay and look at a few 9.8 Valiants and you will find staple stress.

hm

Is it worth the $/time to take shot?

Last 9.0 went for $86.00

9.2 for $125.00

All depends what you paid for it.

This WILL 100% count against the book's grade. I've owned more than 30 copies of Harbinger #1, and submitted most.

I cover this a bit in my article Collector's Corner: Top 10 Rarest Harbinger Comics

Harbinger #1 (w/ coupon) was printed with a thin cover stock, and as a result, the cover is prone to splitting along the spine.

Additionally, there appear to be copies of Harbinger #1 (w/ coupon) that contain three staples, and others that contain only two staples (with no middle staple). While it is a ridiculous stretch to call it the “Harbinger #1 (Two Staple Variant)” some collectors have found that the two staple copies often grade better than the three staple copies and are less prone to spine splitting (possibly due to less holes in the spine from less staples).

It's also important to note that the cover is cRaZy condition sensitive! I submitted 21 to CSS for pressing (who did a phenomenal job btw...) and 4 copies split along the spine during the process. CSS covered the raw cost for each book, but it is certainly a point that must be understood by anyone dealing with this book that condition issues (especially the staples and spine) are quite real and common, and DO count against the grade.

Also, while we are on the topic, copies of Harbinger #1 with the coupon cut out are considered “incomplete” and sell for significantly lower prices than complete copies.

Often sellers will list a raw copy for sale stating that it has a coupon, but when it arrives the coupon is missing, or only part of the coupon is inside the comic.

Pay attention to raw copies for this, and make sure that you are not being deceived either purposely or by accident. As stated in my last post, I have owned more than 30 copies of this book over the years, and this exact scenario has happened about 20-25% of the time unfortunately. The struggle is real.

There are also copies of Harbinger #1 (w/ coupon) that were printed with “blank coupons” due to a printing and/or production error at the time of publishing.