• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest GOLDEN AGE Covers Poll, Round One

189 posts in this topic

I'll start by saying that I truly enjoy the Intelligent Collector magazine and think Heritage does a great job promoting different types of collectibles and making them interesting. The magazine is very informative. That being said, I feel the comic book article left me wanting. The initial few paragraphs preceding the poll talked about Detective 31 and followed with a Schomburg love fest. I really had hoped there would be more discussion on golden age comics in general and why they are appealing to collectors, their history, how important they were during WWII, perhaps the investment side of collecting, the unique aspect of the artwork that separates this collectible from others...something. What we got was a short and rather boring introduction and then straight to the photos. I am not fond of the photo presentation either. The images could have been larger and the bubbles around the number rankings, although probably attempting to capture that comic book feel, look hokey and in my opinion diminishes the covers themselves. I'm happy to see them featured in the magazine and seeing the covers together is a treat but I give the overall look and feel of the article a 5 out of 10 ranking. That's my 10 cents.

Ken

They did include a fold out centerfold of Batman 11 (Startling 49 on the opposite side), suitable for framing. :cloud9:

They did include a fold out centerfold of Batman 11 (Startling 49 on the opposite side), suitable for framing. :cloud9:

And if you had been around in 1940, you would probably have cut out the back cover of Batman 1. :baiting:

And if you had been around in 1940, you would probably have cut out the back cover of Batman 1. :baiting:

Probably. But only after I cut off the front cover.

Does anyone have the results????

Dont ya know Hud 'ole bean? Its one big secret :gossip:

OK, here's the Top 20 comic covers from our poll as displayed in the Fall issue of Intelligent Collector...

1) Detective 31

2) Suspense 3

3) Fantastic 3

4) Punch 12

5) Phantom Lady 17

6) More Fun 54

7) Superman 14

8) Startling 49

9) Detective 29

10) All Select 1

11) Detective 35

12) Silver Streak 6

13) Captain America 3

14) Marvel Mystery 9

15) USA Comics 7

16) Batman 11

17) Captain America 37

18) Great Comics 3

19) Wonderworld 7

20) Detective 18

For full disclosure ...and as an added treat for rip-roaring discussions... here are the remaining twenty finalist's rankings:

21) Daring Mystery 1

22) Pep 34

23) All American 61

24) Mask 2

25) Captain America 74

26) Hit 5

27) Catman 31

28) Action 2

29) Mystic 7

30) Seven Seas 4

31) Detective 69

32) Dynamic 8

33) National 16

34) Suspense 8

35) Real Life 3

36) Captain America 2

37) Captain Marvel Jr 4

38) Amazing Mystery Funnies 25

39) Headline 8

40) Hit 18

None of the internal data is included, but I'm sure there's plenty of fodder for discussion.

So, on your mark, get set, here we go: :gossip::preach::slapfight:

Thanks for posting Cat. I think that no matter how few people read this list, there will be a different opinion. For the most part, I'm good with the top 20. Suspense #3 is easily one of my top 3 GA covers. AMAZED Terrific #5 isn't even here. Phantom Lady #17 is annother and has been a favorite of many for about as long as I've been collecting comics. I love Supe #24 WAY more than #14. Detective #18 made #20??? I also don't get Action #2 at all. If you wanted early DC non superhero covers, most any of the run of Adventure easily beat that one. I've never gotton Cap #74 at all. There are WAY better Cap and Red Skull covers than that. Personally, I'd love to see Dynamic #8 further up the list. Glad it made it at all. All in all, hard to find fault with most any of these covers. Great job! Now, maybe one with Atomic Age covers...