• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MegaCon, May 25-28, 2017, Orlando Florida

95 posts in this topic

Memorial Day may be a big attraction weekend for theme parks, but the OCCC is available.

MegaCon Orlando is a big pop culture con. Comics are an important part of that mix as are all of those other elements. We'll have a stellar comics guest list as usual, and the show attracts over 100,000 visitors. If you can't make money there selling back issues, no one has a gun to anyone's head.

That might come off as flippant or arrogant, and some people will jump on that and say that as well - but the thing is I know where you are coming from - I have exhibitor tables at our shows in Toronto, so I get it -- I weigh my costs v sales after every event and I talk to vendors all of the time, as do members of our team, getting feedback. We want our vendors to do well, and we are working to attract people who are interested in comics and we advertise heavily in the community.

My comment regarding resembling theme parks is less of a criticism of MegaCon as most large modern shows in general...where the non-cosplay crowd (of which I count myself) is now the minority. But like you said, a pop culture event with, by extension, a more casual crowd than conventions of years past. It's a "get off my lawn" comment from an old-schooler...I'm cognizant of that.

I think the fact you guys bring in 100,000 people is fantastic. The last two years have seen some of the best line-ups of vintage dealers that I can remember at MegaCon, and that's going back some 16 shows, and the fact they were clustered together I think improved the experience for many of us who actually were there for comics. Also, the ingress/egress into and out of the show was the best traffic management I've seen yet at that venue.

What many of us casual fans bemoan, and again, not a criticism unique to MegaCon, is that a dealer like Rick, who misses a year because of the schedule change, is now on the outside looking in, replaced by another comic dealer, possibly, or at worst, someone pushing anime, aromatherapy, cosplay costumes, or god knows what. Hey, I'm on a comic board, I want a great variety of comic dealers...I'm sure if I was into anime, I'd be on a anime message board wanting nothing but that.

M If you can't make money there selling back issues, no one has a gun to anyone's head.

We want our vendors to do well, and we are working to attract people who are interested in comics and we advertise heavily in the community.

The last two years have seen some of the best line-ups of vintage dealers that I can remember at MegaCon, and that's going back some 16 shows, and the fact they were clustered together I think improved the experience for many of us who actually were there for comics.

What many of us casual fans bemoan, and again, not a criticism unique to MegaCon, is that a dealer like Rick, who misses a year because of the schedule change, is now on the outside looking in, replaced by another comic dealer, possibly, or at worst, someone pushing anime, aromatherapy, cosplay costumes, or god knows what.

I can tell you from talking to the many other comic dealers who have done the show over the last few years a very large number of us are not returning this year. Sadly, we won't know the full exent of who isn't returning until a week before the show as that is when Informa usually releases the dealer list.

Listen I fully appreciate the fact that a dealer has to weigh a whole bunch of factors when determining whether or not they come back. Hotels, trucks, staffing, booth costs, it's not cheap to exhibit at a big regional show. Some stores can write it off as promotion/advertising for their retail space and can diversify their stock, while pure vendors with one focus use it as an opportunity to connect with their regional clientele. If it's not working for you, it's not working. I hope that the people who have chosen not to return have shared their reasons directly with our exhibitor team so that feedback can be shared with our management.

While the boards were being migrated, the first wave of comic guests were announce for MEGACON ORLANDO:

GREG CAPULLO

SCOTT SNYDER

TOM KING

MITCH GERADS

ADAM KUBERT

DAN SLOTT

ADAM HUGHES

GAIL SIMONE

ADI GRANOV

GREG RUCKA

HOWARD CHAYKIN

JOSE-LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ

PETER BAGGE

MICHAEL CHO

ALLISON SOHN

NEN CHANG

That would be a Little Creepy. Thanks for the theory, personally I was hoping that the secret dossier prepared by the former MI6 agent would have had some explanation behind why MegaCon Orlando is on Memorial Day and not earlier in the year. Perhaps the Intelligence community has decided to keep that part under wraps.

More comic guests announced!

J. SCOTT CAMPBELL

JIMMY PALMIOTTI

AMANDA CONNER

CHAD HARDIN

PHIL JIMENEZ

KAARE ANDREWS

SKOTTIE YOUNG

JONBOY MEYERS

MARC ANDREYKO

KEVIN MAGUIRE

PAUL MOUNTS

CLAY MANN

and PAT BRODERICK

ALSO

HOLY GRAIL COMICS is sponsoring some guests who will be appearing exclusively at their booth:

CHRIS CLAREMONT

BOB LAYTON

Edited by Kevin Boyd

MegaCon is going to be my first con, pretty pumped!

Anyone know how much signatures will cost from each artist (Lee, Campbell, etc..)? I plan on getting sigs and handing them off to CGC for grading, but I was worried it will be too expensive per book signed.