• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Significant Comic Art Auction at Profiles in History 30 July 2016

332 posts in this topic

The auction made me a multi-millionaire. What is not to like?? Life is very very good.

Well that's about the crassest post I've seen in a while.

What not to like?

- that you sold out in order to be able to write that sentence?

- that you turned 40 years of friendships and history into a check?

- that you're now are a walking cliche post middle-age guy talking about how fun it is to drive a porsche? (a stone I throw from inside that same age group)

You rail against the money influence, but you're a poster child for it. Your cost basis is pennies on the dollar, but you sold out anyway in order to talk about being a millionaire and vacations and porsches, all of which I would imagine the you of 30, 20, or even 10 years ago railing against. How can you tell people to buy the best and forget the pedestrian when you just got done doing the very opposite?

andy - who grew up with a mechanic dad who had 2-3 Porsches in the garage/driveway at any given time - they're nice cars, but certainly not worth hero worship

I actually take no offense at all in his post. Here is a guy he who had the means and the vision to buy art by a person that had huge upside potential and ultimately cash in on it while what seems like he was young enough to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Good for him I would say. Take those new found bucks and spend them on something new that makes you happy. (thumbs u

A representative from Profiles just informed me that BWS will not be enforcing TAR agreements on any Smith art sold tomorrow. A formal announcement will be coming soon from Profiles in History

A shame; now the auctioneer won't be able to say "remember, the more you bid, the less you'll have to pay over to BWS in the future when you sell the artwork". Oh well.

Man, I may have to bid on some stuff. I was not planning on dipping my toes in that deep right now but some of these are right in my wheel house. But I will be at the Metropolitan Museum of Art with my family most of the day tomorrow to celebrate the 17 yr old's birthday.

Damn. hm Oh yeah.

The wife is just rolling her eyes at me. HA! :sumo:

A representative from Profiles just informed me that BWS will not be enforcing TAR agreements on any Smith art sold tomorrow. A formal announcement will be coming soon from Profiles in History

Yep, I got it earlier today. It reads:

Comic & illustration Art Auction Featuring Barry Windsor-Smith

The Barry Windsor-Smith Art featured in our auction tomorrow are no longer subject to the TAR agreement per a letter received by Profiles in History from Barry Windsor-Smith, himself.

This is great news for prospective bidders!

I think the close on those items just went up.

The auction house made the right move, unless disaster for the "smith" pieces....we here on the board helped with our comments about the burden on the buyer and future buyer....still the auction needs to learn the ropes too much of a good thing leads to a decline in overall artists values....this sale will be very interesting

yeah, tons and tons of Wrightson and most insanely top notch stuff. And all that BWS. Should indeed be interesting.

What does everyone think about the estimates? I think they are low for some of the 5-10K BWS pieces but might be surprised.

Man I am conflicted about this. Gotta give my girl a full day at the museum but the auction...

yeah, tons and tons of Wrightson and most insanely top notch stuff. And all that BWS. Should indeed be interesting.

What does everyone think about the estimates? I think they are low for some of the 5-10K BWS pieces but might be surprised.

Man I am conflicted about this. Gotta give my girl a full day at the museum but the auction...

The auction has been live for a while now. Just place your bids through their website (or eBay) and go enjoy your day.

The auction has been live for a while now. Just place your bids through their website (or eBay) and go enjoy your day.

Yeah, that is what I decided to do. Sniping is so ingrained though.

The auctions PIH is running today are amazing. Congrats to Rob Pistella for bringing in what I personally consider to be the best collection of OA to ever hit the market.

Problem is, if you live in CA, want to pick it up or have it shipped directly to you (rather than risking loss by having it shipped to friends or family out of state), and can't bid live to by phone, you're looking at approximately 40% juice in fees and taxes!! 28% BP and 10% sales tax. Ouch!!! That isn't PIH's fault - especially the taxes - but it is keeping me from bidding on a number of pieces. ; (

The auctions PIH is running today are amazing. Congrats to Rob Pistella for bringing in what I personally consider to be the best collection of OA to ever hit the market.

Problem is, if you live in CA, want to pick it up or have it shipped directly to you (rather than risking loss by having it shipped to friends or family out of state), and can't bid live to by phone, you're looking at approximately 40% juice in fees and taxes!! 28% BP and 10% sales tax. Ouch!!! That isn't PIH's fault - especially the taxes - but it is keeping me from bidding on a number of pieces. ; (

40% added to the already high minimum bids are gonna take a large number of bidders out in NY and CA.

"40% added to the already high minimum bids are gonna take a large number of bidders out in NY and CA." - Mmehdy

Yep. Although, a number of the pieces I want, if I could purchase for the minimum bid, I certainly would. The problem is, I'm not looking at the minimum bid. I'm looking at competition with others in a market which is now dominated by an investment mentality, and adding 40% to whatever my winning bid is. It's discouraging.

"40% added to the already high minimum bids are gonna take a large number of bidders out in NY and CA." - Mmehdy

Yep. Although, a number of the pieces I want, if I could purchase for the minimum bid, I certainly would. The problem is, I'm not looking at the minimum bid. I'm looking at competition with others in a market which is now dominated by an investment mentality, and adding 40% to whatever my winning bid is. It's discouraging.

Yes, I have to pick one and hope but I doubt I will end up with it.

Their business plan to sell at gallery prices thru an auction with a ultra high minimum bid and costs to a bunch of movie stars and high end buyers who don't mind paying top dollar. If they are gonna challenge Ha.com which is the king of OA actions houses they are gonna have to change that approach to sustain a serious challenge.

The Catalogs are the best in the business now, their display was super....but you are really paying for it on the other end as a buyer. I liked the Wrightson Captain Stern story...but the minimum bid, plus 40%, Plus shipping and handling...was way overboard and the color of the pages in real life were not as good as in the catalog. So we have to consider that additional cost and who knows how much you are gonna get charged for shipping if you read the fine print...in ebay for example they charge an

"administrative" charge if they ship it to you directly....how much?

I am watching many pieces on eBay, hoping that the hammer prices will wind up on eBay, so I can see the auction results. How does that work with eBay, when the auction is actually being held in-house, does anyone here know? If so, please enlighten me ; )