• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Mile High Smoking...? MM24 for $555.00???

17 posts in this topic

MM 24 is NOT rare!!!

You can buy a CGC 9.8 now for about $200

I once bought NM+ Daredevils no.7 from Mile High for.... $10 !

really

I think chuck has slowly gone insane- and angered, by the massive increase in value of comics as a whole.

Think about what the man has owned, held in his hand, and what he has to show for it.

While he isn't broke, I'm sure he looks back all the time regretting selling EVERYTHING for NOTHING, basically. Sure he got great prices then, but nothing like what we are seeing these days. Im sure he was freaking excited selling you DD # 7 for $10, at the time, and on and on.

Your story just makes this point stronger.

It doesn't excuse the insanity, but I think this is a major reason to why he is doing this now. Desperation to not mess up again.

Most dealers I know (comics and other collectibles) look at their stuff as a commodity more than something to hold onto for years. If you can own your own business, make money and put food on the table, there's nothing to look back on and regret. You do what you do to keep the lights on. If he'd started with the idea that he was going to hold onto everything until 2016 then make a bazillion dollars, well, he wouldn't have gotten very far. Chuck has been very blessed while many others have come and gone, I can't see him being spiteful and bitter about it.

Most dealers I know (comics and other collectibles) look at their stuff as a commodity more than something to hold onto for years. If you can own your own business, make money and put food on the table, there's nothing to look back on and regret. You do what you do to keep the lights on.

True. My rule of thumb now that I'm liquidating my collection (slowly) is "don't get high on your own supply." A sale is a sale, and a $50 bird in the hand is worth two $100 birds in the bush.

(Just wash your hand after.)

Sure he got great prices then, but nothing like what we are seeing these days. Im sure he was freaking excited selling you DD # 7 for $10, at the time, and on and on.

----------

It all evens out.

He sold a lot of books in the early 90s for "retail prices" of $5-$25 or more then that are worthless now.

Black and white books when those were hot for premium prices, which are worthless now.

He also sold a lot of Fine books as NM copies that people didn't return back then because a lot of dealers called today's CGC 6.0 books NM (although I don't think their grading has been bad on what I have bought in the last few years)

Sure he got great prices then, but nothing like what we are seeing these days. Im sure he was freaking excited selling you DD # 7 for $10, at the time, and on and on.

----------

It all evens out.

He sold a lot of books in the early 90s for "retail prices" of $5-$25 or more then that are worthless now.

Black and white books when those were hot for premium prices, which are worthless now.

He also sold a lot of Fine books as NM copies that people didn't return back then because a lot of dealers called today's CGC 6.0 books NM (although I don't think their grading has been bad on what I have bought in the last few years)

During those early days, his rule of thumb as a business owner with a rapidly growing business (which is what the Church collection did, rapidly grow his business) would have been that cash flow > return on investment. Sometimes you have to do what you can to keep the machine rolling. I'd say he's done pretty darn well, and if you spot checked his prices with values at the time then I'm sure he has no regrets. There's a time value of money in play here and since his primary source of income was comic book sales it's not like he could buy and hold. I'm sure he wishes he had more copies of certain books but he's done better than most considering he's still around and its 2016. He's been at this for his entire life as his own boss, and has held some amazing books in his hands. We should all be so lucky.

All he has to do is sell the MHC warehouse store and he will be able to permanently retire. He can afford to set his prices at 3x market and sit on them and wait for a buyer to come along with that knowledge of his property value

All he has to do is sell the MHC warehouse store and he will be able to permanently retire. He can afford to set his prices at 3x market and sit on them and wait for a buyer to come along with that knowledge of his property value

And I'm glad he does hold onto his warehouse...if he and Dolgoff and Koch and a few others all unloaded at once, the market might be more flooded than we expect, I sometimes think ... But I sure would like to have Chuck's "A" mailing list of his regular, repeat buyers!

During those early days, his rule of thumb as a business owner with a rapidly growing business (which is what the Church collection did, rapidly grow his business) would have been that cash flow > return on investment.

Well, with the Church books, I would have to say that his ROI was absolutely astounding. Especially considering that he basically paid cover price or what amounted to only $0.10 for each of those Mile High books. :gossip:

I guess that's why he is still going around the country nowadays trying to buy up books for literally only pennies even now some 40 odd years later. :P