• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Dallas -- March 31-April 2, 2017
1 1

448 posts in this topic

May we ask why some celeb announcements can be made now, but the comic announcements apparently have to wait until January?

Even if its just a "tentatively planned" comic guest announcement. Im waiting to spend money on your VIP pass depending on who it is. ;)

We all understand that things can change, people can cancel. Happens all the time at all the cons.

Edited by kevhtx

May we ask why some celeb announcements can be made now, but the comic announcements apparently have to wait until January?

Not trying to be difficult here, I'm genuinely curious.

At my weekly meeting I asked when were we releasing some comic guests and was told early January, that's all I can give you.

Even if its just a "tentatively planned" comic guest announcement. Im waiting to spend money on your VIP pass depending on who it is. ;)

We all understand that things can change, people can cancel. Happens all the time at all the cons.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I understand you can't just take my word for it...

I hope combining the two events was a good idea, but so far it's a meh for me.

Ian and Paul have done Dallas for years as part of the Creation show, and this is like the 5th time John Barrowman will be here.

Last year was good and I know this is just the beginning but I sure hope to see new names and not the same old mess.

I hope combining the two events was a good idea, but so far it's a meh for me.

Ian and Paul have done Dallas for years as part of the Creation show, and this is like the 5th time John Barrowman will be here.

Last year was good and I know this is just the beginning but I sure hope to see new names and not the same old mess.

Considering that the show is only three months away, I was hoping for more of a splash by this point as well.

I for one am looking forward to their shows. Every year they wait very long to announce the comic guests and then BOOM!! some of the biggest names out there. So as i wait curiously, i am sure it'll be one heck of a line up,

Jeff

I agree that they seem to drop the comic guests all at once. So, I am not too worried about that. I am curious as to the media guests. Im surprised we haven't seen more yet. Next month will be key. Sounds like thats when we will get announcements.

Its important to know asap since many of us prepare for cons months in advance and make plans on purchases, who to send books to for which cons and so on. I am already making plans for spring/summer.

If I know a creator or media guest is going to be in town, I won't send out the books I want signed to a facilitator.

Edited by kevhtx

I agree that they seem to drop the comic guests all at once. So, I am not too worried about that. I am curious as to the media guests. Im surprised we haven't seen more yet. Next month will be key. Sounds like thats when we will get announcements.

Its important to know asap since many of us prepare for cons months in advance and make plans on purchases, who to send books to for which cons and so on. I am already making plans for spring/summer.

If I know a creator or media guest is going to be in town, I won't send out the books I want signed to a facilitator.

It will also be nice to ASAP since there is a show per month in Dallas starting next week and going through April. Gotta figure out the budget.

Kevin Boyd, any update on guest announcements? or when they will be announced?

A lot of us are preparing for upcoming conventions and knowing the guests helps us decide to pay for admission to Fan Expo or go ahead and send the books to facilitators for other shows. Jan/Feb/Mar are already extremely packed for good shows (WWNO, Fan2Sea, NTX comic show, Dallas Comic Show, ECCC and others).

Facilitator deadlines for WWNO and Fan2Sea are already almost here.

Edited by kevhtx

The marketing folks schedule these announcements, I'll relay the info as soon as it gets approved and the eblast goes out to our subscribers. I would expect you'll see some media guest announcements sooner than the main comics list, but if all goes well our headline comic guest announcement is due any day now.

oh I'm sure that they won't be fast enough....

I know you're being sarcastic because you see my post as impatience over the guest announcements. In reality I am much less concerned with the guest list per se than I am with how FE is going to attract the congoers they need to attract to make this a successful comic show with two fewer months to do it. The vendors that do your show need buyers to show up, including the comic vendors. If you don't accomplish this you'll see your comic vendors spend booth fees elsewhere. FE may be perfectly happy to sell those booths to skin care vendors or local insurance agents, but it isn't going to help your shows attract buyers who spend serious money with vendors.

I know none of this is your fault specifically, but for comic vendors I know and spoke to 2016 was a down year for sales. If that trend is not reversed in 2017, and this radical date change has me worried, then I suspect a lot of folks will find something else to do in 2018. That would be a shame, as I look forward to this show.

oh I'm sure that they won't be fast enough....

The vendors that do your show need buyers to show up, including the comic vendors. If you don't accomplish this you'll see your comic vendors spend booth fees elsewhere. FE may be perfectly happy to sell those booths to skin care vendors or local insurance agents, but it isn't going to help your shows attract buyers who spend serious money with vendors.

Mysterio is wise.

FanExpo has so much potential to be the cornerstone show in DFW, and DFW is starving for a killer BIG show. It has an awesome quarterly smaller show already, but it the FE guys have to realize that this can be a destination show. Texas is in the center of the nation with a huge airport, it's so easy to get to.

To the Fan Expo team. Call me. I'll help.

To Mysterio, thanks for saying what everyone is thinking but is afraid to say. It's not a knock on FE, those guys have been awesome. The show just needs to be refreshed.

I am being sarcastic, yes, partially out of frustration because I can't announce anything but also because we do this dance every show over and over again. Yes the show is just under three months away, but we have always delivered quality guest lists for our big shows, I can only continue delivering the same message over and over again. Announcements are coming, there is a strategy.

I also don't get the marketing departments on some of these shows that wait so long to announce guests. there are competing shows it seems like many weekends and people that travel have to start looking at flights / hotels. its hard for them to wed themselves to a particular show if one has no announcements while another does.