• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOMB RAIDER starring Alicia Vikander (2017)
1 1

94 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Boric Gold said:

Haven't seen the new one yet....so this isn't a comment on NEW vs OLD. But basically Angelina Jolie in her prime put butts in the seats, 90% of America has no idea who Alicia Vikander is

Agreed.

Plus Tomb Raider was a hotter new ip back than. It has lost a lot of it's fan base.  A lot of the Tomb Raider games after those first two were terrible with a capital T.

On 17 March 2018 at 5:08 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Really? I thought the first two Tomb Raider games were cutting edge at the time, and were one of the reasons I went out and bought a Playstation.

It was quite something to wander through all those ruins and tombs at the time, taking in some of the brilliant environments; a classic being climbing to the top of the underground Sphinx in TR 1 and just looking around.

Now, the earliest games are supposed to have aged badly - not just the blocky graphics but the clunky, grid-based tank controls, something shared with Resident Evil.  Once you've become used to the finer control provided by an analogue Dualshock, reverting back to 90s-style controls would be frustrating.  I'd recommend you play Anniversary, which is a HD remake of the first game, and fantastic nostalgia. Because of the more modern analogue controls, it also feels a lot easier than the original.

On 17 March 2018 at 10:44 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I will give you

Related image

as a Holy grail.

They are all good games ,but none made me want to buy a Playstation like Tomb Raider or Resident Evil did back then.

Doom is another key, genre-defining, influential game from the PS 1 era.

On 18 March 2018 at 4:59 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agreed.

Plus Tomb Raider was a hotter new ip back than. It has lost a lot of it's fan base.  A lot of the Tomb Raider games after those first two were terrible with a capital T.

TR 3 was a chore to get through - much harder than the first two and quite boring, especially still having to wander around in the dark, lighting flares.  Finishing it once was enough.

The games went downhill from there until Crystal Dynamics took over with Legend, and have progressively improved since then.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

TR 3 was a chore to get through - much harder than the first two and quite boring, especially still having to wander around in the dark, lighting flares.  Finishing it once was enough.

The games went downhill from there until Crystal Dynamics took over with Legend, and have progressively improved since then.

Still nowhere the quality of the Uncharted series though.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎18 at 9:42 AM, Boric Gold said:

But basically Angelina Jolie in her prime puts butts in the seats, 90% of America has no idea who Alicia Vikander is

Saw rebooted Tomb Raider. Watchable. At least Vikander did not 'punch the shark' underwater like Jolie did in Tomb Raider II (search for :acclaim: Pandora's Box).

18 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Saw rebooted Tomb Raider. Watchable. At least Vikander did not 'punch the shark' underwater like Jolie did in Tomb Raider II (search for :acclaim: Pandora's Box).

From a few review sites, they all note too much focus on reintroducing the origin of the character and not enough on the adventures. You agree?

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

From a few review sites, they all note too much focus on reintroducing the origin of the character and not enough on the adventures. 

I thought the relaunched Tomb Raider was well balanced in telling the origin then the adventure through Hong Kong to Japan. Then again, I am one of the collector/fans who actually hated the juvenile Transformer movies but enjoyed the slower paced :foryou: Pacific Rim (part 1) movie.

13 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

I thought the relaunched Tomb Raider was well balanced in telling the origin then the adventure through Hong Kong to Japan. Then again, I am one of the collector/fans who actually hated the juvenile Transformer movies but enjoyed the slower paced :foryou: Pacific Rim (part 1) movie.

Thanks. At least I know what to expect.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

That was the game that made me quit the series. I will have to try the new Tomb Raider games you recommend! (thumbsu

MGM and Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc.'s Tomb Raider fell 56% in North America for a $10.43 million weekend and a "meh" $41.748m ten-day domestic total. It should crawl to $55-$60m domestic, but it is doing a lot better overseas. The $94m Alicia Vikander action drama has thus far earned $170m overseas, including $69m in China, for a whopping $211m worldwide cume. That already puts it past Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life ($156m in 2003) and means it'll probably top the $274m (in 2001) gross of Tomb Raider. Unless it's unusually leggy, it should end just over/under $300m worldwide. It's certainly going to top the $56m domestic and $240m totals of Michael Fassbender's Assassin's Creed, so make of that what you will and let your imagination run wild.

According to Box Office Mojo

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $47,532,178    21.9%
Foreign:  $169,700,000    78.1%

Worldwide:  $217,232,178  

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dcfilm0318.htm

Really surprising this will have a hard time doing $100 million domestic. This is one of the most famous video game characters.

48 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

According to Box Office Mojo

Really surprising this will have a hard time doing $100 million domestic. This is one of the most famous video game characters.

Unfortunately, it's a character that instead of the adventures so many have come to think of it for this.

lara_plays_with_herself_by_blondierule.j