• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOMB RAIDER starring Alicia Vikander (2017)
1 1

94 posts in this topic

The casting news was announced back in April of this year.

Alicia Vikander Cast As Lara Croft For Tomb Raider

Opss8JM.png

Alicia Vikander has been cast as Lara Croft in an upcoming Tomb Raider reboot.

Vikander is best known to ComicBook.com community for her role as the artificially intelligent being in Ex Machina. She is also known for her roles in The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Danish Girl, and A Royal Affair. She'll also be appearing alongside Matt Damon in Jason Bourne later this year.

Roar Uthaug (The Wave) will be directing the new Tomb Raider film which will tells the story of a young and untested Lara Croft fighting to survive her first adventure. Graham King is on board to produce.

Now, some additional details.

Tomb Raider Star Alicia Vikander Secretly Loved the Video Games

Following this new iteration of Lara Croft comes a reboot to the film series, currently rumored for a Fall 2017 release, and with recently cast Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina, The Danish Girl) in the starring role. The film is being written by Evan Daugherty (Divergent, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) and Roar Uthaug (The Wave) is set to direct.

In an interview with Total Film Magazine, Vikander opened up about her history as a fan of the Tomb Raider games: “I kept it secret – I didn’t have many girlfriends who shared that interest, but I really loved it.” She also admitted that she snuck in play sessions with the game “even though my parents said I wasn’t allowed to.”

Additionally, Vikander had some thoughts on the physical challenges of playing the spry action heroine:

"I danced for many years. I really enjoy the aspect of being able to work with my physicality. In one way, I can probably do that unconsciously. But in this, it’s going to be a whole other level. It’s always wonderful when you get the chance to try things out that you never thought you would be able to do, to push yourself and your boundaries."

Tomb Raider Release Date Set for March 16, 2018

Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM have today announced the Tomb Raider release date. Look for Academy Award winner Alicia Vikander (The Danish Girl) to make her big screen debut as Lara Croft when Tomb Raider hits theaters March 16, 2018.

RELATED: Alicia Vikander is Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider Reboot!

Norwegian filmmaker Roar Uthaug (The Wave) will direct the film, which has a -script by Transformers: The Last Knight scribe Geneva Robertson-Dworet.

Alicia Vikander Promises A "Fresh" Take On The Origins Of Lara Croft In The TOMB RAIDER Reboot

600-alicia-vikander-cannes-makeup.jpg

We heard that this reboot would focus on a younger Croft, and would be loosely based on Square Enix's 2013 version of the video game. But in a new interview with Hitfix, Vikander seems to suggest it might be more than just a loose adaptation.

“They told me they were doing the film based on the reboot of the game from 2013. That is more of an origin story. You get into an emotional aspect of getting to know Lara hopefully in an in-depth way. So I hope that doing a film of the rebooted game will bring something new and fresh that’ll stand on its own two legs.”

I wonder if this will be another reboot no movie-goers were really needing. Though if anyone is going to make this interesting, Alicia Vikander seems to be a good bet.

TOMB RAIDER Director Roar Uthaug Announces That Production Has Officially Wrapped On The Upcoming Reboot

151715.jpg

Principal photography has now finished on Warner Bros.' upcoming reboot of Tomb Raider.

Director Roar Uthaug made the announcement via the short set video below. Various members of the cast and crew can be seen, but it's difficult to tell of Ex Machina actress Alicia Vikander is among them because of the glow from the lights.

Vikander will play a younger version of Lara Croft, who travels to the coast of Japan to investigate the disappearance of her father. The plot is expected to be heavily influenced by the 2013 video game which followed Croft's adventures after she was shipwrecked on the fictional island of Yamatai.

Mad Max: Fury Road Composer 'Junkie XL' Confirmed for Tomb Raider Soundtrack

Junkie XL, the composer that has an impressive resume on his own not even counting his work with world renown Hans Zimmer, has just confirmed that he has just taken the helm of the upcoming Tomb Raider soundtrack for the film. The Dutch instrumentalist took to Instagram to confirm his latest "Film Score" with an epic image of actress Alicia Vikander as the infamous Lara Croft.

1ESWgXk.png

49 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm hoping that this actually is the first really good film based on a videogame series, rather than another typical, expected disappointment.

Me too.  I had high hopes for Assassin's Creed.  I'd love to see a movie do for video game movies what Iron Man did for comic book movies. 

TOMB RAIDER: Lara Croft Gears Up For The Adventure Of A Lifetime On A New Theatrical Poster

DQphELOV4AI8d7B.jpg:orig

We've been getting a lot of reveals all weekend and now, Warner Bros. and Square Enix have released a brand new theatrical poster for their upcoming live-action film adaptation of Tomb Raider, featuring Academy Award-winner Alicia Vikander standing front-and-center with her bow and arrow on her back.

Outside of September's teaser trailer, we really haven't seen much from the Roar Uthaug-helmed reboot, so we should be about duefor a new theatrical trailer any day now. Stay tuned for any news as it happens. 

Tomb Raider rappels into theaters March 16, 2018