• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Philadelphia, June 1-4, 2017
1 1

64 posts in this topic

I like a few of the newer NJ shows. I am going to the Garden State Comic Fest again this year (in a few weeks I think), only Saturday because Simonson is there only Saturday. But last year they had some good comic booths and I bought a good amount. The NJ Comic Expo in the fall is in its third year (2nd maybe?) I think and I bought some good comics last year there as well.

21 hours ago, blazingbob said:

One of these days promoters,  CGC and even the other grading company may actually embrace a industry forum where promoters, sellers and customers actually meet and discuss what they would like to see happen in the marketplace.  Until then I will spew words into the internet void. 

By "forum" do you mean a physical place where people would get together once a year or so to talk things through?

Or do you mean a discussion board forum?  If the latter, if you started a thread on these boards to discuss these issues, do you think CGC would shut it down?  I can't think why they would.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I like a few of the newer NJ shows. I am going to the Garden State Comic Fest again this year (in a few weeks I think), only Saturday because Simonson is there only Saturday. But last year they had some good comic booths and I bought a good amount. The NJ Comic Expo in the fall is in its third year (2nd maybe?) I think and I bought some good comics last year there as well.

I went  last year and wasn't thrilled. But I had free tickets so that helped. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

By "forum" do you mean a physical place where people would get together once a year or so to talk things through?

Or do you mean a discussion board forum?  If the latter, if you started a thread on these boards to discuss these issues, do you think CGC would shut it down?  I can't think why they would.

I am talking a business forum where we all sit down,  whiteboard,  discuss,  throw out ideas as a industry.  Representatives from all parts of the comic community should be there so that everyone has a voice.

Wizard thinks having a facebook, twitter account covers social media.  CGC forum board?  Why would anybody from Wizard ever read that?

Edited by blazingbob

On 6/6/2017 at 10:18 PM, blazingbob said:

I am talking a business forum where we all sit down,  whiteboard,  discuss,  throw out ideas as a industry.  Representatives from all parts of the comic community should be there so that everyone has a voice.

Wizard thinks having a facebook, twitter account covers social media.  CGC forum board?  Why would anybody from Wizard ever read that?

Why not?  If a valuable discussion was happening that was relevant to their business, they ought to be interested.  For any firm, candid and informed feedback is gold. 

Just now, blazingbob said:

I was being sarcastic.  When was the last time you saw somebody from Wizard comment on a Wizard event on the forum boards?

Ah, probably never.  But if a worthwhile discussion started on the boards, maybe they would participate.  Of course, if it turned into an exercise in Wizard-bashing (not your intent, of course), I doubt they would bother with it other than perhaps to try to get it shut down.

Granted there will always be Wizard bashing but if you are responding to real business issues those could be answered.  I didn't "Wizard bash" at the Sunday meeting.  I brought up legit concerns that I have been experiencing doing multiple shows.  They are welcome to defend or disagree with my issues.  But Wizard is not the only promoter out there that has "Comic Dealers" out of sight,  out of mind when it comes to their show advertising/social media etc.

My business issue and I believe some other dealers may share this same feeling is that comic dealers subsidize the actors that the promoters bring to the shows.  I am not comp'd,  picked up at the airport,  have my hotel paid for, given guarantees on my numbers by promoters.  Wizard brought up that our 2017 retail numbers were lower due to the fact that the Avengers were at last years show.  Do comic collectors by Iron Man, Hulk, Thor figurines,  JIM #83's,  Avengers #1, Hulk #1's,  etc to get signed by the Avengers?  No.  They are paying for photo ops and autographs via the VIP packages which Wizard makes money off.       

Edited by blazingbob

32 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Granted there will always be Wizard bashing but if you are responding to real business issues those could be answered.  I didn't "Wizard bash" at the Sunday meeting.  I brought up legit concerns that I have been experiencing doing multiple shows.  They are welcome to defend or disagree with my issues.  But Wizard is not the only promoter out there that has "Comic Dealers" out of sight,  out of mind when it comes to their show advertising/social media etc.

My business issue and I believe some other dealers may share this same feeling is that comic dealers subsidize the actors that the promoters bring to the shows.  I am not comp'd,  picked up at the airport,  have my hotel paid for, given guarantees on my numbers by promoters.  Wizard brought up that our 2017 retail numbers were lower due to the fact that the Avengers were at last years show.  Do comic collectors by Iron Man, Hulk, Thor figurines,  JIM #83's,  Avengers #1, Hulk #1's,  etc to get signed by the Avengers?  No.  They are paying for photo ops and autographs via the VIP packages which Wizard makes money off.       

:preach:

2 hours ago, Dale Roberts said:

Not sure if this has been addressed here, but I was told by people who were at the Iowa show that the CEO was there and was visibly upset about how few comic dealers there were at a comic book convention. I heard he told them to stop selling the booths to the State Farms, and the vinyl siding people, and to do what it takes to get more people into the shows.

Here is what they need to do.

1. Drop the booth prices in half at all of the smaller regional shows. That would still be high for the value that Wizard provides for these types of shows. The lower booths prices will at least double the amount of dealers at the show. The net money will be about the same.

2. Drop the ticket prices to a reasonable per day amount, say $20- 25.00 per day. The lower entrance fees will at least double the amount of attendees who come to the show. The net receipts should be considerably higher.

3. Get some fresh creator blood.  I can (and have) told Wizard at least 50 artists and writer who they could get for their shows, who will come for way less than the guys they are spending money on. You get 10 - 15 of these guys for every show, and 10 -15 modern or up and coming guys and you will draw a real crowd that is interested in comics. This works. Just ask Shelton at Heroes.

4. Stop getting the Power Rangers, Lou Ferrigno (sorry Lou), and several others who have been at every Wizard show for a decade.Still get a few celebrity guests, but not necessarily the people that are going to cost a fortune.

5. Occasionally get a headliner guest. Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, J Scott Campbell, etc. Doesn't have to be every year at every show.

6. Feature the comics. Make them the attraction at the shows. I mean seriously, why put Pops and Swords in the front of the hall (and probably fidget spinners now)?

7. Stop sucking all of the money out of the room with the stupid VIP tickets. Run some panels and seminars for comics.

8. Stop blaring the music and hiring strippers/dancers for the show. If you are selling people retail spaces, don't make it difficult for them to sell.

9. Enough with the stupid cosplay . Its a matter of time until somebody does something stupid, and the cops are running around looking for the guy in the  Deadpool costume. They don't bring any money into the show except for food and they just take up space in the aisles taking pictures, making it hard for actual paying customers to do business. If you have to have cosplay, have a special designated costume only areas.

10. Advertise comics. Advertise creators. Advertise toys. Stop advertising for cosplay.

One of the better posts i have ever read about a comic con  !

Edited by 1950's war comics

On 6/6/2017 at 8:48 AM, 1Cool said:

Thanks for the Con report from the dealers stand point.  I'd think Philly would draw from a much more upscale clientele then way up in Novi Michigan but that show turned out to be great.  Ticket prices were pretty high and booth fees were in line with a Wizard show (from what I heard) so why do you see Motor City being dealer successful where as a show like Philly is losing comic dealers in droves? 

Wizard Philly lost the collecting customer base by getting into pi$$$ng contests with Heroes Con.  Multiple years of the shows being on the same weekend or even in the same month forced dealers into making choices.  Given a choice between doing Heroes and doing Philly most of the dealers left for Heroes.  When the dealers leave the collectors come to a show,  complain there are no dealers there and don't come back the next year.  Last year my sales were good because Greg and I were the two big Vintage dealers at the show.  However because of last year and the fact there are only 6 comic dealers in the room collectors do the math and say "Why am I paying $65 or more to see 6 comic dealers?"  I'll go to another show or maybe I'll go shop online etc.  What a lot of promoters lose sight of is the fact that collectors save up for one or maybe two shows a year.  Adding more shows doesn't result in more sales for the exhibitors.  The pie just gets smaller.  Also lets look at what else is happening at many of the conventions - BARS/ALCOHOL.  Do BARS/ALCOHOL result in more sales?  Absolutely not.  Does alcohol result in lower table fees for the exhibitor?  Absolutely not.  Does alcohol result in lower ticket prices,  Absolutely NOT.    Wizard has stated that they are a kid friendly show yet they sell alcohol at it.  Kind of talking out of both sides.  I've already had to deal with a few drunks at shows damaging books or coming dangerously close to spilling the drinks into my boxes.  Nothing like a warm friendly welcome to a customer by stating to them please be careful with your drink.   Who benefits from selling alcohol at the show?  The convention center and the promoter.  Buy a comic or drink a beer?  Hmmm,  I can tell you that I know what choice is being made at many of the shows I attend.     

Edited by blazingbob

I talked to my wives coworker who sells character hugging prints and she said it went horrible this year in Philly.  Last year they sold so much they went out of their way to set up again and it was a snooze fest.  She literally had to beg people to buy something where as people last year were using the bulk buy discounts to buy 4-5 prints.  They probably will not book again for next year and they have renewed every Con they have been at for awhile due to great sales.

Now, now,  Wizard kicked them out of the show.  Why it took so long is beyond me.

You think they would have been paying attention on setup day.

How could you turn down a company named rabbit.com.  Clearly they were selling stuffed animals/code name for butt plugs

6 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

This is a complete abomination 

Oh come on you big prude.  You know damn well those cosplayers are using those costumes in the bedroom.  This was categorized as accessories on the wizard application.  I was passing out those butt plugs as free gifts if you spent over $100.   KY was extra for those who felt that the transaction was painful. 

:jokealert:

Edited by blazingbob

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Oh come on you big prude.  You know damn well those cosplayers are using those costumes in the bedroom.  This was categorized as accessories on the wizard application.  I was passing out those butt plugs as free gifts if you spent over $100.   KY was extra for those who felt that the transaction was painful. 

:jokealert:

Great... now I can't get the image of The Hulkbuster servicing multiple Harley Quinns who refuse to observe the weight limit for their costumes... And if you managed to get a cosplayer to spend over $100 you are indeed a god among dealers.

Edited by pug productions